“Home away from home”

Strahan Backpackers YHA
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Strahan
Strahan Backpackers YHA
Reviewed 15 December 2013

The hospitality of management at this YHA was amazing! We were camping, but given the torrential rain the owner offered us the games room to dry out, rest and get ready for the overland track walk to begin the next day. If you're in the area and looking for a relaxed, friendly environment this is the place for sure!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Strahan Backpackers YHA

Reviewed 21 October 2013

My friends and I camped here during our trip to Strahan and we were met with wonderful hospitality and kindness. The manager was helpful and very friendly and even gave us tips for the rest of our trip in Tasmania. The facilities were clean and well maintained making for a very enjoyable and comfortable experience. Next time I visit Strahan (it's such an incredible spot!) I will surely stay at the Strahan Backpackers YHA again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 July 2013

enjoyed staying at this hostel and found that even when quite large numbers of guests was possible to find a quiet area - spacious kitchen and comfortable beds in rooms - stayed longer than I had planned and manager most obliging and changed my return date on the 'spirit' with pleasure - enjoyed the reasonably priced salmon available to members and was able to save a nights' fees by doing several hours of gardening - 'all good' and when in Tassie again will be back there.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 June 2013

I cannot understand some of the previous reviews. I stayed here for a couple of weeks and always found the owner to be friendly and extremely considerate. On the other hand, I would get annoyed too if rung at 10pm after a busy day as I would be asleep! The bathrooms and kitchens were always clean (except for occassional guest messes, which is common at backpackers) and everything I used worked. If it hadn't I am sure that the owner would have addressed the problem if informed of it. I have a bad back (scoliosis) but I found the mattress to be excellent and I slept very well. As for needing transport to access the village - if this older, very unfit, woman could manage the 933 metre walk to the village, almost everyone could!

Despite being so close to the village centre, the setting is delightful - it feels as if it is right out in the bush. There are resident possoms, owls, and even an bandicoot to be seen every night and during the day numerous birds feed in the native trees and bushes.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 April 2013

This place needs some work done on it and a good clean. The location is good, but the rooms were musty and dusty. The kitchen area has some equipment not working and I doubt would pass a health inspection.
I would not go back.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 April 2013

I just telephoned tis YHA to check availability of rooms for tomorrow night as it stated online to telephone for bookings. I called at 10pm and was told to "call back in business hours for goodness sake" and I hadn't even stated what I was calling about. I found this extremely rude and most certainly will not be staying here. I would suggest not answering the phone next time!

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 March 2013

I stayed for two nights in one of the rooms in a block. The facility is in a pleasant rural spot, but transport is needed to access Strahan village, although there are some basic shops and an eatery within walking distance.

The room was adequate, but nothing special. The shared toilet and shower facilities were kept clean during my stay. Bicycles are available for rent, and whilst not being state of the art (reflected in the low hire cost) do a basic job in getting around without having to revert to the car. I didn't use the communal kitchen/lounge areas. WiFi is charged for, but is not excessive. It only works in a limited area .

Some reviewers have commented on cost - I wonder if they had priced the alternatives as I did - and found this place to be excellent value when compared to others.

The Heritage cruise down the Gordon river , Sarah Island and out to Hell's Gate was enjoyable and informative, however when I went the weather was sunny and fine - not sure if I'd have enjoyed it in poor weather though .

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo