“Clean and comfortable”

Amos House & Swansea Ocean Villas
Ranked #7 of 8 Swansea B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 March 2013 via mobile

We stayed in a 2 bedroom villa for one night, as we had a friend with us who took the 2nd room. The villa was spotless and odourless, which was a real bonus for me - too often I've found accom of a similar ilk retaining a musty smell from aging. Decor definitely needs a revamp, but everything was comfortable and clean.
A great location for those who'd like a central base for meandering around the main Swansea strip.
My only complaint is that the wood heater, which heats the bedroom upstairs, was not offered until their winter months (May - Nov). Considering it was a very windy 10 degrees with an apparent temp of 8, we were quite cold in bed and could have really appreciated some warmth.

• Stayed: March 2013

Reviewed 7 March 2013

We only stayed one night in a motel room and found the room meet our needs. If staying longer we would recommend getting a villa. The room was spotless and good value. When checking in and out, the owner was very friendly.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 12 February 2013

After reading the reviews, I nearly cancelled our booking. Luckily my partner wouldn't let me because we thought the room was absolutely fine. We stayed in January and the room itself was very clean. Bedding was clean and comfortable. TV was a good size for us to watch the cricket on! Bathroom was clean, plastic flowers above the toilet were a little tacky but I couldn't fault anything else about the room. It's a great location, really close to the beach where we took some wonderful evening walks ( nobody else on the beach either, it was like we had the whole place to ourselves and it was the middle of January!) The staff were pleasant, upon arrival we were shown a map with some good walks around the town. Apart from a slight confusion with our booking in which they thought we were staying one less night than we were ( which might I add, was sorted out quickly and very professionally), we had absolutely no problem unlike others on here have stated. I would definitely recommend it to folks who want a comfortable room to relax in after a long day of exploring Swansea and Freycinet.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 January 2013

Family of 3 were touring around Tassie in Jan. Chose this accom as a base for seeing the East Coast & Freycinet Peninsular region. Other preferred accom booked out. On arrival we saw large "For Sale" signs: Worried, we checked in. Our villa had off-street parking. The water views are magnificent. Inside the villa, the story is much different. Sadly, the villa is in dire need of a spruce-up and renovation. Old tiny TV gave eye-strain, kitchen appliances of microwave, washing machine and dryer all work, but very old. Plates all clean. Did not need heating, so did not use. Elec blankets on beds.
Beds need to be retired. Bedding felt dirty, and was not supportive. Towels very hard. Bathroom is clean but old-style. If weather is fine and price is ok, then go ahead.... We had rain first afternoon and night and were worried about being stuck inside. Seek elsewhere if you can do so.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 January 2013

We booked this motel because our other options in Bicheno and Swansea were booked out. This motel is off the main road in Swansea so dining options are great. The seafood place opposite is nice and cafes with sea view are located a block away. There is an IGA supermarket opposite as well and the beach is a minute walk away so this motel is very well located. Our rooms came with a balcony with a view of Great Oyster Bay which was nice. However, the rooms are on the small side and not particularly clean. There's also no wifi. They can really do more with this place given its prime location.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 December 2012

The pictures on the net made this place out to be very cosy.I think they used a good photographer.We stayed one night in the hotel then 2 nights in an apartment and we have never spent so much time out of our accomadation because we didn't want to be in it at all. On arrival I went to the reception and was my usual jolly self to the man behind the desk and twice he gave me blank stares when I said hello and then how are you. Only when I said we'd got a booking for 3 nights did he become a bit friendlier. Having stayed in both sides of the place I would say the hotel side shades it for cleanliness but both rooms and apartments are shabby, tired and rundown.The for sale board tells its own tale.It was christmas time, supposedly every holiday place's busiest time of year but the restaurant was closed,whether it's for good or not I don't know and don't care. If the owners don't then I'm not going to for them. We counted 8 signs in the kitchen telling you what you must do to make their life easier. What is saddest about the state of the place is that it has got million dollar views and if some money ( ok a B Double truck full of money) was spent it could and would be a very desireable place to stay. But untill that happens remember the camera does sometimes lie and avoid this place like the plague.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 November 2012

We stayed in September and were perfectly happy with the room. The stairs are a bit narrow, but the room was spotlessly clean, perhaps a bit on the small side, but for $85 a night we had a balcony with a fabulous view of Great Oyster Bay - Honeymoon Suite 10 (I think). The bloke at reception was very nice, not at all rude. Old telly perhaps, but who cares, everything else was there and it was immaculately clean and tidy. The restaurant was closed but it's the off season. I can highly recommend the Onyx Cafe for an excellent brekky or brunch. The Swansea Tavern is walking distance and more than accommodating for meals and great hospitality. I left my shoes under the bed on a previous occasion and the owner rang me to tell me, we were on our way back to Hobart, so I sent a pre paid satchel and I had them in a couple of days. We had no complaints at all about our stay.

Room Tip: Ask for the Honeymoon suite, fabulous ocean view of Great Oyster Bay.