“Thought was a nice Hotel”

Best Western Lakewood Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Hebron
Saint Marys, Ohio, United States
“Thought was a nice Hotel”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

we stayed for 3 nights only had one issue we put sign out to have room serviced and was not service the first day after we stayed. I went down and said something to manager and I told him all we needed was more towels and he went and got us more

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
revmgrdesiree, Manager at Best Western Lakewood Inn, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear Veronica R,

Thank you so much for staying with us and taking the time to leave a review of our hotel. Again, I apologize for missing service on the first day but I'm so glad the rest of stay was enjoyable. We hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Houston, Tx
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This is a decent hotel but there are a few factors to consider. First, it's a ways off the interstate...not right at the exit as usual. Second, it has no elevators. I have to carry about 30-40 pounds of stuff for work, and after traveling all day, the last thing I want to do is lug all that up stairs. The hotel looks rather new, so I don't understand why they didn't install an elevator. Third, it's non-smoking. For those of us that smoke, it's an inconvenience. Last time I checked, smoking was legal. As I said, the room was nice, with a comfortable bed, reasonably fast wifi, and an acceptable breakfast buffet.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Elkayandboro,

Thank you for staying with us last month. I am glad that you enjoyed the room, wifi, and breakfast. I do however understand that it can be troublesome to care heavy things upstairs. Next time we can definitely provide you with a ground floor room or we are also happy to provide you with assistance bring your items upstairs to your room. I do understand that it can be inconvenient to smoke outside however we actually were one of the last in our market to convert to smoke free just this year due to lack of demand for our smoking rooms. We do hope you will return i the future.
Hartford, Wisconsin, USA
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Enjoyed a very relaxing night after a 9 hour day of highway driving. Room was clean & comfortable, pool was cool & refreshing, staff very pleasant & helpful. The dinner tip to try Clay's Cafe was excellent. The cafe was only about a 1/2 mile away, and the food was very good. Clay's homemade ice cream was an unexpected bonus.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Desiree M, Manager at Best Western Lakewood Inn, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Donna F,

We are so glad that you had a relaxing stay and enjoyable swim with us during your recent visit to our hotel. Thank you for sharing the tip about Clay's Cafe with our guests as well. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future.
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed 15 July 2014

The Best Western Plus AKA "Lakewood Inn" in Hebron, Ohio, is a strange hotel. It isn't bad but it's strange.

The first clue was the sneaky upcharge on the reservation. I was there as part of a wedding and the couple had negotiated a special rate of $99 per night. However, the reservation clerk insisted that "the best I can do is $101.15" plus tax. He wore me down. What's another $2.15 in the grand scheme of things? I should've taken it as an omen.

The second clue was the "No Guns" sign on the door. Amusingly, the hotel is next to a sporting good store that sells hunting rifles. It's well within rifle range. But you can't take a gun into the hotel. A hunting crossbow that will shoot through a wall is OK, however.

The third clue was the draconian usage-policy sign posted above the lobby computer provided for the guests. No game-playing is allowed, and mis-use of the computer is punished by a whopping $100 fine. Yeah, if it was my hotel, and if a customer absent-mindedly played a game of solitaire while waiting for a business file to download, and I then hit that customer with a $100 charge, I'd ban guns in my hotel too.

On one of the back outside doors, the security card reader wasn't working. Judging by the battered condition of the taped-up sign announcing that fact, it had been broken for a while. Fortunately, that door didn't close properly. You had to pull it closed and the person before us hadn't. So anyone could get in without scanning a key card.

One of the lights in our room didn't work. No big deal. Overall, I got the feeling that the hotel manager waits for guests to report problems instead of pro-actively looking for problems.

On the plus side: The room itself was clean enough. The mini-refrigerator in the room was nice and quiet. Usually I have to unplug a rattling refrigerator in order to sleep, but this one was OK. The beds were comfortable although the pillows were a little lumpy and the hotel skimped on blankets. Despite earlier Tripadvisor reports, the pool looked clean.

This hotel charges about as much as a Hampton Inn, but you don't get the Hampton Inn quality. Next time I'll drive a few miles north on 79 to the Hampton Inn in Heath/Newark.

Room Tip: Get a room on the second floor. The people upstairs were friends who are small and known to be quie...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank KetteringTraveler
Dear KetteringTraveler,

Thank you for your recent stay in our hotel. I do apologize that we no longer had the wedding rate available. We have group rates available until 30 days prior to arrival contractually, however we did offer you a 25% discount off our rate for the day to get you as close to that rate as possible. Please understand that the "no guns" sign is strictly for the safety of our guests. We do allow law enforcement guests to bear arms with Identification. We are taking care of the security card reader asap. I am glad that you did enjoy your room and the pool. We appreciate your feedback to help us continue to improve our guest experience.
Greenwood, Indiana
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We were lucky to find this spot in a storm! Friendly staff, good clean quiet room, reasonable prices. The management and front desk staff were helpful, and went above and beyond to help us. Overall a great start to our family vacation.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Desiree M, Manager at Best Western Lakewood Inn, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear Meti2014,

We are so glad that we were able to give you a wonderful start to your family vacation and keep you out of the storm. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon!
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

We were greeted at the door with an overflowing ashtray full of cigarettes floating in rainwater and trash spilling out of the can. The downspout was loose and blowing into you as you enter the door. The pool room had thick cobwebs with dead bugs and some kind of feces in every corner of every window! The bathroom floor was dirty, with thick crud in the corners. The dirtiest hotel I have ever seen!

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Wendy S,

I am so sorry to see your review. I assure you that we take the cleanliness of our hotel very seriously and we are an UltraClean certified hotel. I do apologize for the rain issues as the weather got pretty severe due to the high winds. We did not hear from you at the hotel during your stay but we do inspect our rooms regularly and I have made sure that no one else will have this experience. We do strive to provide an exceptional guest experience and do not take these issues lightly. Thank you for your feedback.
Key West
Reviewed 14 June 2014

What a lovely surprise !!! The tour I'm on booked this hotel for me and I am not familiar with the area, so I was pleasantly surprised by the welcome I received, the room and the local area.
I was given the greeting of an old friend.....my room was not only clean and large and well appointed, but it had a HUGE jacuzzi tub as well.
There were SO MANY treats all around my room. The fridge was stocked with not only complimentary water, but soft drinks also. There were sweet treats on my bed to insure I have sweet dreams. And HOW NICE to have 70 television channels to choose from. (I never have been able to understand why hotels give only 10 or 20 channels.)
There is a beautiful lake to enjoy only a few miles down the road and a Kroger grocery store and a few restaurants right next door. The hotel is surrounded by well groomed grounds and a large lush lawn to enjoy on a sunny day.
So if this part of Ohio is your intended destination or you just need to pull off I-70 after a long days drive......make this your resting place !!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear AustinaKeyWest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review about the many things you enjoyed during your stay with us. We do provide cookie, mint, popcorn and water in all our rooms to make sure our guests have a few nice surprises and extra conveniences in their rooms. We look forward to seeing you in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hebron
Hampton Inn Heath-Newark
Courtyard Newark Granville
Holiday Inn Express Newark-Heath
Cherry Valley Lodge
Cherry Valley Lodge
#3 of 3 in Newark
Best Western Executive Suites - Columbus East
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Ohio

Been to Best Western Lakewood Inn? Share your experiences!