“DUMP”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Holland
Reviewed 5 August 2012

We came to this motel after we had a fire in our house, our contractor is paying for this. Just staying while home is being repaired. We thought it was ok at first, free wi-fi, a microwave,fridge.
It has definately NOT been ok here. The first night we were scared out of our minds because there were people outside all evening and into the night who appeared to be engaged with a drug deal. After that, there were men who were outside our room all evening talking and singing every evening for a week. We were afraid to leave the room to go out to the car.

We have two beds, and they are definately NOT full size. The mattresses must be very old because my back is hurting and it is difficult to get any rest. There are cigarette burns in the blankets; my room is supposed to be nonsmoking. As to cleanliness, the staff do not even come to remove the trash or clean the toilet. You can have clean towels if you ask. I quickly discovered that the microwave cord did not reach an outlet! In addition, the majority of the outlets in the room need updating and do not work. And the fridge. The seal on the fridge is not good, and the fridge will not keep things cold. There is no ice bucket for the room either.

The free continental breakfast?? Not my definition of a continental breakfast. Bananas and on occasion strawberries. Two different kinds of stale cereal and doughnuts. I have watched the manager take the uneaten doughnuts and put them in the freezer for the next day.

And the manager of this motel was foreign and extremely difficult to communicate with. It was difficult to understand him, and when telling him something he typically had a standard response. Getting him to understand what was being said was not easy, and generally not worth the bother.

I would not recommend this motel to anyone. Even at a bargain price it is too much!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank DMontgomery88

Reviewed 5 August 2012

Very nasty!! I wanted my money back after checking in and finding a used condom in my bed. Also found semen stains all over the bed spread!! Carpet looked as if it wasn't vacuumed in a decade! Opened drawer to use phone book and wow again, a used condom wrapper and a Baggie of some type of dope. Area is run down and also nasty.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Gdjuio
Peter M, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2017

Dear Gdjuio,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I would like to apologize for the experience you had while staying at our hotel. I would like to assure you that our rooms are being inspected everyday for cleanliness and maintenance issues to keep our guests satisfied. Please call me at 419-866-6565 to discuss your stay further. Thank you.

Reviewed 4 August 2012

We were dubious the moment we arrived in the parking lot.
Front desk clerk was arguing with someone rather loudly on the telephone when we entered what was supposed to be the lobby. He addressed us with an abrupt 'Name?" then 'Oh.', practically flung the room keys at us and continued with his telephone argument.
The room was filthy.
It smelled of mustiness.
The rings around the tub and toilet were gross and the bed smelled moldy.
We left our bags and went out for a bit.
Upon return, the desk clerk was nowhere to be seen nor was anyone answering the house phone.
Just for our peace-of-mind, we unmade the bed and weren't all that shocked to discover bedbugs.
We took our bags and left.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank thevinoboy

Hello thevinoboy,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I apologize that this is what you experienced while staying at our hotel. Please call 419-866-6565 to disscuss your stay further and so that we can make it right. Thank you

Reviewed 4 August 2012

We needed a room for the night in the Toledo area on our way to Canada and the Econo Lodge on East Mall Dr was perfect. Very clean room, very nice personable staff, and many restaurants and shopping near by. It was a bit hard to find, as we had not printed out directions but seeing other hotels off the freeway exit, we found the hotel sort of at the end of East Mall Dr and behind the Krogers. There was a nice pool we did not have time to use, we were up early the next morning and on our way. The owner/manager gave us a thank you card upon our checking - what a nice touch! We would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business

Hello keywestbeachgirl,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at EconoLodge Holland. I am very pleased that you were happy with your stay. We are now in the process of renovating our rooms with hardwood flooring and more. If you are ever in the Holland, Ohio area again, we would love to have you stay with us. Thank you.

Reviewed 25 June 2012

It's not a bad place for the money. Bed clean & comfortable. TV & remote works (except in storms) Clock radio works. Microwave & fridge clean and they work. Bathroom clean. Smudges on mirrors. Carpet dirty - could use replacing (but if they did the price would go up.) I got there at 6 am and they said room not ready - had breakfast at nearby Bob Evans and came back at 7 am and room was ready. Towels pretty thick for an economic place. Continental breakfast pretty good - coffee good & pastries good. My in room coffeemaker worked the first day - but not second - I asked for a replacement but they didn't replace. Pool small but okay. All in all - a pretty good place for the money

Room Tip: no elevator - if you have a lot of luggage - ask for a first floor room
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Jane A

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I think you will be happy to know all of our rooms are being updated with hardwood flooring. Also, the mirror issue is something I am aware of and taking care of. If you are ever in the area again, we would be more than happy to accommodate your stay. Thank you.

Reviewed 24 May 2012

The hotel is difficult to find as it is hidden in the back of a mall without a sign on the main street.
When you do find it, you'll wish you hadn't. Everything needs to be updated. The first room we were given had a non-functioning toilet that did not seem to be connected to the floor. The second room was very small, dark and depressing. We often stay in budget motels but this was not acceptable.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank eGrasse

Hello eGrasse,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I apologize that this was your experience. I would like to assure you that our rooms are in the process of being updated with hardwood flooring, light fixtures, new bedding, and the walls have been updated as well. We also inspect our rooms for cleanliness and maintenance issues daily to ensure our guests are satisfied. Please call 419-866-6565 so we can discuss your stay further. Thank you.

Reviewed 5 January 2012

I'll start by saying, if you can find it; you’re ahead of the game. Located next to a large shopping center, you actually have to turn into the mall area to access the motel. What makes it additionally hard to find is there is no Econo Lodge sign in front of the motel. If I had not stayed here years ago, I likely wouldn't have found it. The property's only sign is on a tall 75 foot pole facing I-475, but you don't see it from the front of the motel. The welcome carpet inside the lobby was the only thing that said Econo Lodge on it. Check in was quick & easy, although after I walked out the front door the manager walked with me to my room to make sure nobody was in the room. I found that kind of strange.

The room was small, seemed clean, but also looks like it took a beating over time. I did have to wipe off the toilet seat, didn't look sanitary. Large stains in multiple areas on the wall paper was not pleasant to look at. A microwave that had a large paint stencil on the front originally reading "Property of ECONO LODGE", now reads "Property of CON LODGE", makes you wonder what kind of people stay here. It seems like most exterior corridor motels are in similar condition. Otherwise the room was ok. One other fault includes exterior noise. You can hear highway noise from I-475 located next to the motel. Additionally, north side rooms face an active railroad line. Train noise is only slightly louder than the interstate noise, but there are no train horns past the property which is good. For me this is the fun side of the building, as I like to watch the passing trains! The tracks are about 300 feet from the motel, so they are not too close. The heat / AC unit will likely drown out all the exterior noise making a noise problem, No Problem!

The draw to this motel is the price...and train-watching if you’re into that kind of thing. Several fast food restaurants as well as Target, Kroger’s are nearby. Most are walkable.

Room Tip: North side rooms are on the railroad side - although trains are not any louder than noise from I-475...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank RailfanMotels

Hello Railfanmotels,

First, I would like to thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. I apologize about the toilet seat not being properly cleaned. I can assure you that our rooms are inspected daily for cleanliness and maintenance issues to ensure the satisfaction of our guests. I apologize for some of the letter stamping that is on our property. We just want to ensure that the same amenities will be provided for all of our guests and a way to ensure that is to stamp the amenities with our hotel name to deter or prevent theft. Also, we are now in the process of updating our rooms with hardwood flooring and more. If you are ever in the area again we would love to have you stay with us again. Thank you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Holland
Red Roof Inn Toledo - Maumee
Quality Inn Airport
Quality Inn Airport
#3 of 6 in Holland
Extended Stay America - Toledo - Holland
Red Roof Inn - Toledo Holland
Courtyard Toledo Airport Holland

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!