“bed bugs and more” 1 of 5 bubbles

Red Roof Inn - Toledo Holland
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Holland
“bed bugs and more”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2013 via mobile

when I first arrived to this hotel I was skeptical about staying at a Red Roof Inn because of alot of things that I have read here on TripAdvisor. I stayed at this location because my employer pays for it. I receive the room after a 20 minute check in process with no one else in line but me. When I got in the room it smelled musty and the carpeting and furniture had stains and ground in dirt all over them. I peeled back the covers on the bed and it looked okay at the time but once I layed down I started itching. I first thought it was just my imagination but after a few hours I went into the restroom and I had red bites all over my body. I went back for a further examination of the bed and I found it least 10 bed bugs. I imediately notified the front desk and they said we can give you a different room. I was furious and said no thank you I'm just going to leave. I see here on Tripadvisor other people have complained of the same thing. I guess I should have checked TripAdvisor before checking into this property. My message to Accor Hotels is bed bugs are a serious problem! Your properties need to be treated weekly with a red cedar product that is safe for animals and humans but deadly to bed bugs. I know it cost money but once you have the reputation of having bed bugs you can never get rid of it. Your company should start taking a more aggressive approach to property cleanliness and extermination as your hotel chains is one of the largest in America. when it comes to the roof and Motel 6 I'll pass from now on!

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank gpitchure
LSCOTT058, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Toledo Holland, responded to this review, 5 May 2013
I would like to apologize for your stay with us. Red Roof Inns take a very proactive approach with bed bugs, we do a monthly check in all of our rooms, train our staff to look for them and if we find anything they are treated immediately regardless of the cost.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Taylor, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2013

Me and my children enjoyed our two day stay there. Staff was awesome and they rocked helped us with maps to attractions. Room was clean both days for us extra towels and wash clothes provided. Price was great even with out my b-day discount.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank MSMONA4879
LSCOTT058, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Toledo Holland, responded to this review, 14 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. The staff loved hearing that you had a great stay! We hope to see you again when you are traveling in our area!
Arnett, WV
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2013

It was a good room for the price. It is a plain room-but clean. The bed was clean and comfortable. The room was nice and warm when we arrived which was great as it was probably around zero when we arrived....lol Bathroom was clean. Coffee was great-even had flavored cream.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
LSCOTT058, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Toledo Holland, responded to this review, 21 February 2013
Angie, Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. It's always great to hear from a satisfied guest! Our goal is to deliver excellent service and clean rooms. We hope you will stay again when you are in the area!
Toledo, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2012

When the power was out for three days we stayed at this hotel. Very inexpensive with adequate room amenities for the price. The staff was very courteous and helpful. The east side of the hotel is quieter as the western side faces the freeway.

Room Tip: Select the east side of the hotel.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
LSCOTT058, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Toledo Holland, responded to this review, 19 October 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on trip advisor. I am sorry to hear that your power went out - hopefully everything was okay when you returned home. We hope that you choose Red Roof Inns the next time you are traveling or in case of an emergency we hope to see you again!
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

The most basic reason you choose to stay at a hotel is simply to have a bed to rest at night, instead of your car.

You expect a bed that is clean and comfortable. That would seem mandatory for any hotel.

Sadly, this hotel when I stayed was infested with bedbugs. In specific, the room I stayed in the bed was crawling with them.

How do I know this? Not long after I turn the light out I wake up and am scratching like mad. I check my bed carefully and surprise surprise - bedbugs.

I demanded my money back ASAP but the manager on duty refused, so I have taken matters into my own hands and am disputing the bill with my credit card company.

The manager was so rude and in my opinion a tad delusional. Denying that bedbugs are at her hotel, how clean the staff keeps the place, etc.

I even showed her my bites!!

I have written a formal letter to corporate about this matter. Bedbug infestation is no joke.

I would be VERY wary of staying here. At the least - check the bed CAREFULLY before staying. Lift the sheets. Lift the padding. Lift the mattress!

I am a exterminator so look near the seams in the mattress!!

• Stayed June 2012
4 Thank Vanguarde2012
LSCOTT058, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Toledo Holland, responded to this review, 17 August 2012
We take any report of bed bugs very seriously. Any reports are immediately called to our pest elimination service and treated if any are found. Any hotel is subject to getting bed bugs as they are brought into the rooms. Our staff takes pride in offering clean rooms to our guests. Our maintenance staff goes through every room once to room to do a check for bed bugs.

Travellers are raving about these Holland hotels

Indianapolis, Indiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2012

My experience at this location was fine until I woke up in the a.m. I had bites which I googled, researched and confirmed as bed bug bites. I am a 20 year road warrior and have ever encountered a hotel with bed bugs and hope to NEVER again. I will not stay at this location again or a red roof. The bites are red, swollen, itchy and oozing. Trying to economize on this trip was a mistake!

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank oliver5618
, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Toledo Holland, responded to this review, 28 June 2012
We called our pest elimination service and they could not find any bed bugs or evidence of any bed bugs in your room. We do a monthly bed bug check in all of our rooms to keep our guests from having any problems and our pest elimination service goes through rooms each month.
Strasburg, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2012

My husband and I have stayed at this location for several years. We attend the Nascar event every June. The front desk has always treated us as though we are expected and wanted. Even the cleaning personnel asked us if there was anything special we needed! The maintenance left us a note to let us know what was going on. We have never had that happen!
Great service for the money.

Room Tip: We always get a king room. Also, we stay on the same side of the office. Great location for restau...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to review our location. We look forward to seeing our Nascar guests every year!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holland
Extended Stay America - Toledo - Holland
Quality Inn Airport
Quality Inn Airport
#3 of 6 in Holland
Red Roof Inn Toledo - Maumee
Courtyard Toledo Airport Holland
Red Roof Inn Toledo - University
Hampton Inn Toledo South Maumee

Been to Red Roof Inn - Toledo Holland? Share your experiences!