“Terrible hotel..NOT up to Comfort Inn corporate standards”

Comfort Inn Dayton - Huber Heights
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Huber Heights
Lancaster, Pennsylvania, United States
“Terrible hotel..NOT up to Comfort Inn corporate standards”
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Stayed Labor Day weekend. Price was great. However, the entire building is a NON-Smoking unit. The entire 2nd floor had a smoky smell (and not of cigarette type) that in the middle night, the smoke alarm set off. Fire trucks poured in and police did a drug search investigation. The employees working should have picked up on the smoking smell from the beginning but instead it got to a point that it set off the fire alarm system. The property claims it is NON-smoking too. Wouldn't stay there again if you paid me!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Marisa S
ComfortInnDayton, Manager at Comfort Inn Dayton - Huber Heights, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Dear Marisa S,

Thank you for staying with us and on behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations.
As I stated in the email I sent you in the first week of September prior to you composing and submitting this subjective review, we are not a 100% non-smoking hotel and we do not advertise that we are a 100% non-smoking hotel. We have a select number of rooms that have been designated to accommodate smoking guests. Your comments that “the entire building is a NON-smoking unit” and “the property claims it is NON-smoking too”, are simply incorrect. We do not claim that we are a 100% non-smoking hotel. You can quickly see on the hotel’s webpage that we offer both smoking and non-smoking rooms. Guests have the option of choosing a smoking or non-smoking room at the time of reservation. We, in no way, attempt to hide the fact that the hotel has smoking rooms. We prefer that the smoking guests smoke in the designated smoking rooms instead of smoking in the non-smoking rooms. Guests are not allowed to smoke in the public areas of the hotel.
I apologize for the inconvenience of the fire alarm being activated on the second night of your two-night stay. The fire alarm was a legitimate alarm that was activated by an incident in one of the guest rooms. The monitoring panel indicated that the system was activated be one smoke detector, not multiple smoke detectors throughout the building. The hotel has a central fire alarm system and the alarms throughout the hotel are activated even if the problem is just in one guest room. The activation of the entire system does not mean that there is a problem in the entire building. For safety reasons, we had to evacuate the entire building even though the problem occurred in only one of the guest rooms. While this certainly was an inconvenience, I am sure you are aware that we have to treat fire alarms seriously and respond accordingly, regardless of how big or small the problem is. We are 100% committed to providing a safe environment for our guests. The fire department must dispatch a crew to the hotel to clear the building whenever the hotel’s fire alarm is activated, even if it is known that the fire alarm was activated by accident or is a false alarm. We were sold-out on both nights and the overwhelming majority of the guests who were inconvenienced by the fire alarm were understanding of the situation and appreciated the fact that the safety equipment in the hotel was properly functioning.
In regards to your comment “police did a drug search investigation”, the police were never dispatched to the hotel and there was never a “drug search investigation”. The only investigation that occurred at the hotel during your two-night stay at the hotel was on the second night of your stay when the fire department responded to the fire alarm.
We were sold-out on both nights of your stay and the staff was not informed by you or any of the other guests about a concern with smoke. The staff did not have a reason to believe that you were not satisfied with the accommodations because you opted to stay the second night and chose not to voice your concerns to any of the staff members on either night of your stay. If you had stated to the staff that you were not comfortable staying in a hotel that has smoking rooms, you would have been allowed to change your stay without any penalties. You would have been checked-out without a charge. Please keep in mind that the front desk is staffed 24/7 for the purpose of addressing any issues, regardless of the hour. In the future, please inform the front desk staff right away, without hesitation, if you face any problems or inconveniences. This way, the staff has the opportunity to correct or resolve any issues or concerns while you are still at the property. We do not want you to spend a night in a room that you are not completely satisfied with.
The hotel is currently under renovation and everything is being done according to the brand standards set forth by Comfort Inn/Choice Hotels International. Even prior to the renovation, the hotel has been in compliance with Comfort Inn’s/Choice Hotels International’s brand standards.
Please respond to the email that I sent you earlier last month with an explanation of the things that you felt were “not up to Comfort Inn corporate standards” along with any additional comments or concerns that you may have about the hotel.
Again, I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your subjective opinion on TripAdvisor and I am truly sorry that you were not pleased with your two-night stay at the hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Huber Heights, Ohio
Reviewed 4 July 2013

This is a 3 star hotel. The people that work here and manager are GREAT! Our room was clean and spacious, furniture a little old but they are in the process of remodeling and upgrading. They are very conscientious about keeping a clean updated establishment. Very quiet location. Comfortable bed. Good location right of I-70. Price was very reasonable. Great stay and we would stay here again without question.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
owenton, ky
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I needed a place to sleep for one night (June 21, 2013) and I was VERY pleased with the Comfort Inn Northeast in Huber Heights OH. My room was extremely clean, may have even been recently renovated. Check in was super smooth and quick. The place was quiet the entire night, the bed was comfortable and the window in my room looked upon a wall of greenery (trees and plant life) which I liked. Check out was equally smooth. It provided me everything I hoped for.

Room Tip: My room looked out upon a wall of greenery which I prefer (compared to parking lot or concrete view...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Kokomo, Indiana
Reviewed 10 June 2013

I made the reservation via the phone since I was having trouble finding vacancies along my way home. I now know why this hotel was a great price. (I would have walked away, but since I made the reservation after the cancellation deadline, I was afraid i would still be charged for the room.) I will say that the front desk is friendly, which at this point is the only compliment for this particular Comfort Inn. The hotel is so old looking and definitely not up to the Comfort Inn standards. There is a very weird smell throughout the entire hotel. I asked the front desk what it was. He said it could be primer since they are remodeling. Even though I did not find bedbugs (thankfully) I just itch because the place just does not feel clean (mentally). My room is not dirty but needs a lot of updating / repair. One of the bedposts was so loose that if I had not found it before going to bed, it could have fallen on my head during the night. There are trim pieces behind the door and wallpaper falling off the wall. Sheets are not good quality and very thin. Very poor representation for the company.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Sherry H
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I often stay at this property while visiting Dayton or while traveling to and from the Midwest. To begin with, the front desk personnel are top notch: very professional and courteous, and they go out of their way to help you. Upon my most recent stay, as soon as I told the clerk my name, he responded with: "Good evening, Mr. C_______. We have been expecting you. I see that you are staying for 5 nights and we see that you prefer the first floor." Even though this front desk clerk had never waited on me before, I felt that we had been friends for years. My room, as always, was large and comfortable. The bedding was excellent and extremely comfortable, and enabled me to get a very restful sleep each night. The bathroom, as well as the rest of the room, was extremely clean. I especially like the high speed Internet access. Besides a wireless wi-fi system, you can connect your computer to a hard wired Ethernet port. The result is lightning fast speed without the security concerns of a wireless system. The room had a high definition flat screen TV, and the local cable service provided many of the channels in HD. The complementary breakfast is also very good, especially the cooked-to-order waffles, and the scrambled eggs, biscuits, and sausage gravy. The property is currently being refurbished from top to bottom. Although I stayed in a room that had not been refurbished, the quality and appearance of my room was perfect. Management that cares so much as to refurbish rooms that do not really need it is a good indicator that they want the best for their customers. I plan to return to this property in the future, and I know my stay there will be perfect!

Room Tip: All of the rooms that I have stayed in are good. Rooms on the east side (front) of the building fac...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank John C
Sugar Land, Texas
Reviewed 8 May 2013

The room was clean and comfortable. Cleanliness is a higher priority to me than decor. The staff at checkin notified me about the ongoing renovation at the hotel. It is always good to see that a hotel is being well maintained. I am looking forward to coming back and seeing the improvements. The staff gave the best recommendation for dinner. It was a local Italian restaurant a few miles from the hotel.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Laura W
Plano, Texas
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I have stayed with friends at this hotel for the last 12 years. We attend the Dayton Hamvention every year (largest ham radio convention in the world). The rooms have always been clean. Beds have always been comfortable. Bathrooms have always been spotless. In the past 12 year, I have never encountered any "smells" or unidentified stains. Decorations were about standard for a motel of this class (the other commenter must have been comparing this hotel to the Ritz). One thing that makes me unhappy about this (and all the hotels/motels in Dayton) the rooms are (on average) double the normal price--this gouging is common for the convention and all the motels/hotels do it.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Hampton Inn & Suites Dayton-Vandalia
Comfort Inn & Suites Dayton
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Fairborn South
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Dayton North

Been to Comfort Inn Dayton - Huber Heights? Share your experiences!