“Autumn is a wonderful time to visit”

Sheldon Marsh State Nature Preserve
Ranked #1 of 14 things to do in Huron
More attraction details
Owner description: This stretch of shoreline comprises a diversity of habitats that sustain a number of plant and animal communities. Over 300 species of birds visit the preserve, and in the springtime, expect a carpet of wildflowers.
Huron, Ohio
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Autumn is a wonderful time to visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

Just enjoyed a very peaceful work with my son and grandson.I haven't been out there for years.It was a long walk back for to the beach,but there were plenty of large decks built over the marsh lands to stop and take pictures and listen to the wildlife.There were different pathetic to take that led to ponds and creeks. It was like another world when you walk out of the woods and on to the beach.We skipped stones watched the egrets and looked at the light house across the way.We had a wonderful time.Quiet,peaceful and educational.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank Jennifer S

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Wish they had a better path”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

This is a very nice to place to take a walk. But it is a long walk. I would love to see them put in a bike path on each side of the walkway. Not everyone is capable of making it all the way to the end of the path.

2 Thank lal1019
Burgettstown, PA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Love this walk”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

This is a wonderful place to go and explore nature. The asphalt walkway is wide to accommodate everyone. There are areas off the "beaten path" with information of the flora/fauna. There is a boardwalk that leads to a beach area where you can see the roller coasters of Cedar Point. Just a very pleasant stroll.

1 Thank FeleciaElliott
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Watch Your Step”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

My wife, son, and I stopped by the preserve the morning after visiting Cedar Point. We were looking forward to the nice 1-mile hike to the beach area. Once we arrived at the beach we witnessed black waves and a nasty stench. No idea what is in the water there but it isn't healthy. My biggest complaint about the park is that there are educational signs about birds, plants, and turtles but not one sign warning us about SNAKES! We climbed up on the small cement/rock wall on the east side of trail to view the lake when my son pointed out to us a snake three feet from us. Having been distracted by the view of the lake I never looked down until he said "snake". I quickly noticed the fact that there wasn't just one snake but at least seven all around us on the rock wall. We flew off this wall and got back to the safety of the trail. After some research I determined that they must have been Northern Water Snakes but any snake bite has to hurt. I just picture small curious children climbing that small wall and accidentally touching or stepping on these snakes and getting bit. Please be careful of this if you visit this park.

1 Thank John D
ohio
64 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“Beautiful scenery with a walk to Lake Erie”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

We enjoyed the walk to Lake Erie on the Old Cedar Point Road, through wetlands and forests. Plenty of wildlife to see, and Lake Erie is always a welcome sight.

Visited July 2013