“Never again will I rely on reviews” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Motel 6 Sandusky-Huron
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Huron
Brooklyn, New York
“Never again will I rely on reviews”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

I am never one to complain too much about where I stay. I had my reserves about booking this place because lets face it, it is a Motel 6. I looked past the name, saw they were reasonably priced and saw on expedia that the reviews were all fairly good. It seemed that the only negatives were the thin towels, no hair dyer, and the train. I can live with all of these. I assume they recently remodeled so that as well influenced my booking. We were staying for 3 nights total to go to Cedar Point and Soak City.
Upon pulling up, you can already see that its a little bit on the dingy side. We checked in and manager decided to help a guy who worked there with directions to somewhere rather than us. He gave us a our room finally and the bed sheets were filthy. The plumbing was slow. We immediately ask to switch rooms. The manager gave us another room saying "this was their best room". Well, same exact scenario, but now the plumbing worked. Bedspread was filthy. The paneling on the shelving was peeling off. The shelf that held the towels in the bathroom was put up so crooked that it just appears that though they had a renovation, no effort was put in.
We said we would suck it up and deal. We left to go out to lunch, the mall, played some mini golf. Came back to the room at around 9:00pm. A gentleman was hanging outside the door and asks if we have a cigarette and that was it for me.I now see the clientele and don't feel safe.
And the train, holy smokes, no joke is beyond loud because it has to toot its horn everytime it passes.
At 10:00pm, we left, checked out and no one at the desk even asked if there was a problem.The only thing said was "wow, this is the earliest someone has checked out". We checked into the Hilton Inn that is on the main strip there and I couldn't be more happy. Though it cost a lot more a night, for my safety, cleanliness, it was well worth it.
I know I should of known better to stay here really because of the "name" and the price but relied on the reviews I found and said "it can't be that bad". Well it was and I will go with my gut feeling instead next time around.
Luckily I wasn't penalized for cancelling the reservation.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel because there are plenty in the area. And if you can't, then definitely ask t...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Matt S, General Manager at Motel 6 Sandusky-Huron, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of our hotel. I am sorry to hear that you had such a bad time while staying at our location. I wish that you would have brought these issues to our attention while you were here so that we could have fixed them for you as unfortunately sometimes we don't catch all of the stains on the linen as we are washing it. The drains do sometimes back up and when it's brought to our attention all of the staff is trained on how to fix them. Thank you again for bringing these issues to my attention so that we can take care of them so that none of our other guests will have the same experience as you unfortunately did.

Matt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Brooklyn, NY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

It is a simple and clean motel 6 but very close to a railway. Every couple of hours a train was passing by in the middle of the night. It is hard to sleep.there are couple of fast food places close but it is a drive from cedar point and downtown.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank nora71
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of our hotel! I'm sorry that train crossing was noisy. I do wish that it was located somewhere else as to not bother our guests. We are very close to a few restaurants, and about 10 minute drive to any other restaurant in the area. Cedar Point is about 5 miles from our location but leaving from here on Cleveland road you do happen to avoid a lot of the traffic! Again thank you for taking the time to leave us a review!

Matt

Travellers are raving about these Huron hotels

Hillsdale, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

Stay here for 5 nights while at Cedar Point and went to a Cleveland Indians Game. The hotel was nice , except for the few flaws. Walls are thin, there is a near by freight train, and upstairs neighbors where kinda of loud. Need to sleep with TV or fan on to to drown out neighbors and near by freight train. The Internet connection was REALLY slow. The in room coffee was horrible but the coffee in the lobby was much better. Very close to Cedar Point and A Good Vaule.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Matt S, General Manager at Motel 6 Sandusky-Huron, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review of our Motel! I'm sorry to hear that you had a few noise issues during your stay with us. I to wish that the trains didn't blow their whistle as much as they do! If you stay at our location again, please just ask and we can try and place you as far from the train as possible.

Thanks again for letting us know how we are doing!!

Twinsburg, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

First the good - the hotel is nice and clean and the staff was friendly. If you are hearing impaired, this hotel is a great value. If you are not, please do not stay here. You will not sleep at all. There is no insulation in the place. Doors and walls are paper thin. There were loud patrons and that is not the hotels fault. People yelling at their kids in the hall past midnight. Not necessarily the hotels fault, I give you that. The fact that the yelling was so crystal clear and loud is their fault. Then there were the elephants having a dance party upstairs! (So yes, these were probably normal sized people walking to the bathroom, but we were concerned they would be in bed with us at some point.) We then turned on the air yo drown out the people noise. Boy did it ever - it rattled louder than my alarm clock! The baby screaming at 5:00 am was a nice tough too. Last and definitely the least of the noise was the train that runs next to the hotel. We slept very little that night.

• Stayed May 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Matt S, General Manager at Motel 6 Sandusky-Huron, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm sorry that you didn't have a great experience at our hotel. We enjoy hear any and all feedback from our guests to help us make improvements in the areas that we are lacking in. I regret that sometimes guests are inconsiderate of their fellow guests and are loud. We make them aware that they are causing a disturbance when we are told about any issues with noise and try and make sure that it does not continue.

Thank you again for leaving us a review and hope that you will come back and give us another chance to improve on your experience.

Thanks,
Toledo, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed here this past weekend (Saturday May,31st). We didn't spend much time in the room, basically just slept there but the bathroom was clean, the beds were clean, and everything was nice and up to date. No carpet in the rooms is perfect, more hotels should do this! Train woke us up once but not too bad. Close to Cedar Point, took us about 15 mins to get there. Arby's and Wendy's are right by the hotel also! I have no complaints!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank hiashley1987
Thank you for leaving us such a nice review! I'm glad that you had a great time while you were staying with us and hope that you will come see us again the next time you are in the area!!

Thanks again,
Winchester
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I have stayed at this motel for the past 3 years and was so disappointed this year. the first room they sent me to, the door would not unlock, so they gave me a different room in this room the floor was dirty, the hallway carpet stayed dirty the 3 nights I was there,. the sink in the bathroom was so slow draining I could not let the water run while I brushed my teeth, the plug for the tub was broken, had to just take it out of tub to let water drain out while showering, had to leave the maid a note to get her to change sheets on the bed.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Carol O
Matt S, General Manager at Motel 6 Sandusky-Huron, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of our hotel. Let me start by apologizing for not meeting your expectations during your stay, for that I'm truly sorry. We love getting any and all feedback from our guests whether it's good or bad as it lets us know what areas we need to improve. I'm sorry that you experienced a maintenance failure at the beginning of your stay as that seemed to set the tone for your stay.

Thank you for letting me know about these issues so that I can look into why we failed to surpass your expectations and leave you with having a great experience with our hotel, and making sure that these will not happen again.

I hope that you will come stay with us again so that we can show you a better stay while you are in the area.

Again I am truly sorry that we were unable to make your stay a positive experience.

Thanks,
United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

We stayed on Sunday of Memorial Day weekend so we could go to Cedar Point on Sunday and Monday and save a drive home and back. We would definitely stay again.

In fact, it was so inexpensive, I thought twice about posting about it on Tripadvisor since I suspect it fills up on weekends when Cedar Point is open.

HOWEVER:

a) Yes, there is in fact a frequently used train tracks nearby. But that didn't bother us any, even though I am a relatively light sleeper. We just turned on the air conditioning unit fan. IF some noise from trains would bother you, then you should look for something somewhere else.

b) No continental breakfast provided. We drove to the nearby McDonalds instead, where I did notice that their prices were a little higher than normal.

c) No Hairdryer.

Overview:

Staff: Friendly

Room: Clean, 32" Flat Screen with HBO. It has a "boutique" hotel feel to it, because the room has a modern, plain feel to it, and it has a laminate wood floor, which I thought was nicer than the old dark green carpeting you find at a lot of places,

Check-in / out: Easy and efficient.

Amenities: There is "room" for improvement here. For example, they don't stock shampoo in the room. You can get a little foil thing of it down at the desk, but why not just put it in the room to start with ?

Also, no hairdryer supplied. No big deal for me, but my wife would have liked to use one. What few "loaners" they have at the front desk were all being used, so we were out of luck. So my suggestion is to go buy another 20 hand held hair dryers when they are on sale at Wal-Mart for $ 10 !

Location: It is located near Cedar Point, but thankfully NOT on the really busy Route 250. That Is one of the reasons I picked it. It is very convenient for people coming from Cleveland and other cities located to the east.

Pool: Indoor pool but we were too tired from being at Cedar Point to use it.

Room Tip: You might want to ask to be on the far end of the hotel from the RR tracks.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Matt S, General Manager at Motel 6 Sandusky-Huron, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a detailed review of our hotel! We greatly enjoy hearing how we are doing from our guests perspective. It lets us know where we are meeting our expectations, as well as where we are missing our goals. The reason that we don't offer many extra amenities is to keep our cost low and pass that savings directly onto our guests with a low rate.

I hope that you had a great time while you were in the area and hope that you come see us again!

Thanks again for leaving us such a great, detailed review!

Matt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Huron
Quality Inn Cedar Point
Sleep Inn
Sleep Inn
#7 of 35 in Sandusky
Hampton Inn Sandusky-Central

Been to Motel 6 Sandusky-Huron? Share your experiences!