“Great Weekend Trip”

Sawmill Creek Resort
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Huron
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Let me preface this by saying that I grew up spending summers in the area and I am very, very familiar with the options in the Sandusky/Huron/Marblehead area. While this hotel may be a bit dated and behind the times, I firmly believe it is one of the best options in the area.

A friend and I were looking to do a day trip to Put In Bay, but due to the 2 or 3 night minimum stays at most PIB hotels, staying on the island was not an option. Not only did Sawmill not have a minimum stay, they offered a package that included Jet Express vouchers and breakfast the next day.

In order to maximize our day, we arrived at the hotel well before check in time and our room was not yet available The desk staff was happy to give us our vouchers and note that we would be checking in very, very late. When we returned to the hotel after our island trip, we received a very prompt check in and were in our room in no time. The room was clean and comfortable. The next morning we went to breakfast, which is your typical hotel breakfast, and walked around the property. The weather was overcast and chilly so we did not use the pool or outdoor amenities, but we did go through the shops, which was fun, and kind of wandered around the hotel for a bit. Sawmill is first and foremost a conference hotel, and I have to say that the meeting space is plentiful and appears to be well maintained.

Again, I spent my childhood summers in this area. It is only in recent years, as Cedar Point has become more of a national attraction, that the area has really started to develop for big time tourism. Fifteen years ago, the majority of the hotels were mom n' pop operations. I have stayed in other hotels in this area over the years, and I put Sawmill at the top of my list. I would stay here before I would stay at any of the Cedar Point area hotels. It's not New York City or San Francisco, and you are not going to find the St. Regis in this part of Ohio. But I absolutely feel that Sawmill is the very best option in the area. I will continue to book Sawmill for my annual girls trip!

Room Tip: This is a HUGE resort. If walking to the room is an issue, ask for something close to the front des...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 4 September 2012

We visited the Lodge overnight for the first time to see one of our favorite bands without driving home. The rooms are clean,comfortable for a nice getaway. The grounds are very nice. I rated only the room!
There is a problem when it comes to parking your car,they dont have enough parking spots.
WARNING If you plan on going to the entertainment, go somewhere else. They cater to the local drunks who get sloppy drunk, fall all over the dancefloor with beer bottles and glasses breaking. Mix in toddlers running wild threw the dance floor! The management will keep serving the drunks. I have been in some dive biker bars, but this place takes the top of anyplace I have ever been in! Too bad because it is a pretty nice place.. if they controlled the locals!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 September 2012

This resort is like returning to Mayberry. The rooms are outdated but clean and well maintained. It's like when the plaid wallpaper in the bathroom needs replaced they re-wallpaper with the same plaid wallpaper. The tile surrounding the bathtub was clean and the grout was clean it looked freshly done. The floors in the bath were wood and in perfect shape. No stains on the carpet, or the walls or the ceiling. No flat screen tv but cable and plenty of drawers in well maintained, no scratched dressers. The bed was comfortable with 6 pillows.

The staff were all accomodating and friendly from the front desk to the restaurants of which we ate in three and all three were very good!

The grounds were also very well maintained. The golf course was beautiful! There are two large pools, one indoor heated and one very large pool outdoor. There is an excercise room which I never used so don't know what equipment they have. They have a beach on Lake Erie that they will take you to in a golf cart and I did see some that were taking picnic baskets from the Lodge. When you want to return, you just call the Lodge and within minutes a golf cart is there. They also have a marina that is lovely to walk thru and then have dinner at the restaurant overlooking the water. We also took an hour boat ride on the Lake and Huron River.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 September 2012

Booked the 1 night golf package for 2. Very professional staff at check in, at Salmon Restaurant, and golf course. Room was outdated but clean. The perch was fantastic. Very nice golf course. I would return for a repeat trip.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 August 2012

The hotel is trying, but it is losing the battle with age. Our room was clean and comfortable - all the usual amenities - though the AC was very loud and the shower valve provided an exciting hot water experience. Plus, I guess they get to call themselves a resort because there are robes. With flat screen TVs so cheap now, I really don't think there is any excuse for having the old CRT. I liked the Adirondacks/indian theme. The hotel restaurant was was good and about the only place to eat nearby. The pool was nice but the hot tub was only luke warm - but it was clean and inviting. It was evident that there were some fun features that no longer functioned.

The golf course was excellent if a little pricey for a generally run down area.

Breakfast is not included.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 August 2012

This place looked like about 30 years ago, it would have been nice. Now, it's outdated, run down, shabby, and overpriced. The bed linens are old dirty quilts that looks like something my grandmother would have, the pillow cases had stains on them, the beds were worn out and way past their lifetime, the mirror in the bathroom had spots behind it that were black splotches, and the tub drain was rusty and corroded.

Overall, it just felt old, used, dirty, and uncomfortable. This place is overpriced and in SERIOUS need of a complete renovation. Don't waste your money!

Room Tip: A good tip... don't stay here!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sw552704
Reviewed 30 August 2012

Went with my sister this past June and it was GREAT.
Hotel has a friendly staff at desk.Clean room comfortable beds.
Pool clean and spa was great also.
We had a great time for seniors.
Food at the restaurants was very good and not expensive.
Breakfast Buffet was the best I have had in a long time.
Entertainment at the lounge was good.
Bought items at the shop and they had a nice selection of items to sell.
Will go again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Huron
Comfort Inn River's Edge
Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark
Sleep Inn
Sleep Inn
#4 of 34 in Sandusky
Quality Inn Cedar Point
La Quinta Inn Sandusky - Cedar Point
Best Western Plus Sandusky Hotel & Suites

Been to Sawmill Creek Resort? Share your experiences!