Let me preface this by saying that I grew up spending summers in the area and I am very, very familiar with the options in the Sandusky/Huron/Marblehead area. While this hotel may be a bit dated and behind the times, I firmly believe it is one of the best options in the area.
A friend and I were looking to do a day trip to Put In Bay, but due to the 2 or 3 night minimum stays at most PIB hotels, staying on the island was not an option. Not only did Sawmill not have a minimum stay, they offered a package that included Jet Express vouchers and breakfast the next day.
In order to maximize our day, we arrived at the hotel well before check in time and our room was not yet available The desk staff was happy to give us our vouchers and note that we would be checking in very, very late. When we returned to the hotel after our island trip, we received a very prompt check in and were in our room in no time. The room was clean and comfortable. The next morning we went to breakfast, which is your typical hotel breakfast, and walked around the property. The weather was overcast and chilly so we did not use the pool or outdoor amenities, but we did go through the shops, which was fun, and kind of wandered around the hotel for a bit. Sawmill is first and foremost a conference hotel, and I have to say that the meeting space is plentiful and appears to be well maintained.
Again, I spent my childhood summers in this area. It is only in recent years, as Cedar Point has become more of a national attraction, that the area has really started to develop for big time tourism. Fifteen years ago, the majority of the hotels were mom n' pop operations. I have stayed in other hotels in this area over the years, and I put Sawmill at the top of my list. I would stay here before I would stay at any of the Cedar Point area hotels. It's not New York City or San Francisco, and you are not going to find the St. Regis in this part of Ohio. But I absolutely feel that Sawmill is the very best option in the area. I will continue to book Sawmill for my annual girls trip!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This lodge is set on 235 acres along the shores of Lake Erie, between the towns of Huron and Sandusky. Guestrooms offer TVs, phones with voice mail, wireless internet, coffeemakers, hair dryers, and irons with boards. Among the hotel's facilities are an 18-hole golf course, two swimming pools, a private beach, 4 restaurants, and convention meeting space. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., Travel Republic (UK) and getaroom.com so you can book your Sawmill Creek Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sawmill Creek Hotel Huron
- Huron Sawmill Resort
- Sawmill Creek Resort Huron, Ohio