This is probably the third or fourth time we have stayed in this hotel. We always end up here in the winter, so my impressions might be quite different if I stayed during the high season.
Basically the hotel is clean, comfortable and convenient to the nearby towns. We chose it for its location in relation to Sandusky.
The room is pretty comfortable, I don't know how they heat the place but we never had to turn on the unit under the window, and even with sub 30 deg temps outside, the gas fireplace would quickly heat the room hotter than we prefer. The fireplace is a very nice touch by the way. I did like the bed and the linnens are clean and fresh and free of annoying fragrances. The room also has a small refrigerator, a microwave and small coffee maker. The refrigerator is also free of all those expensive items which some hotels fill them with and basically forbid your used of the fridge.
There is a restaurant (or two) in the hotel and we had breakfast there once but I was not particularly impressed and the price was high. There is also a store (or two) associated with the resort. One is actually quite nice with good quality (albeit expensive) stuff.
There is a pool and hot tub, they are indoor, so you can enjoy them in the winter as well. There is also a fitness area. This area is a bit shabby and the whole place is a bit dated. The parking seems to be plentiful (at least in the winter when the place is empty).
I have walked around the property and it is nice with nice walking paths, views of the water, etc.
However, it is too dated. The TV set is an old tube set and there is no WIFI. However they do have wired internet and you can get a cable from the front desk. They say they sell them, but I just asked for one and they gave it to me. The bad part is that the internet connection is really slow. Forget doing anything in facebook or downstreaming anything.
I would return and probably would recommend it because of the positive aspects. However, I'd caution not to expect an up-to-date modern facility.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This lodge is set on 235 acres along the shores of Lake Erie, between the towns of Huron and Sandusky. Guestrooms offer TVs, phones with voice mail, wireless internet, coffeemakers, hair dryers, and irons with boards. Among the hotel's facilities are an 18-hole golf course, two swimming pools, a private beach, 4 restaurants, and convention meeting space. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotels.com, Odigeo, Agoda, Travel Republic (UK) and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sawmill Creek Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sawmill Creek Hotel Huron
- Huron Sawmill Resort
- Sawmill Creek Resort Huron, Ohio