I would recommend this place, for sure! My husband and I celebrated our 1st year anniversary trip and had a fabulous getaway here! The place is huge and has a lot to do. Indoor/ outdoor pools, tiki-bar at the outside pool, a cute store, jet ski's, kayaks, beach, bar, restaurants, golfing, tennis...
I was impressed with the room when I walked in. A nicely furnished room with updating. A gas fireplace, mini-fridge, gorgeous view, very clean, and the bed was the most comfortable bed I've ever had at a hotel!
I would definitely book again! No question!!
There are some things the resort needs to work on and fix.
1) Information. - they were friendly at check-in but my husband and I felt like we were left to already know things. We were not told (or was it written anywhere when check-out time was. We had to question how to get to the beach. We had to question information on the Sunset Boat Excursion.. We would have liked information about the nature trail also. It would have been nice if they would have just given us a paper with all the information on it (or had it in our room with the binder of other not-so-useful info) so we didn't have to call up to the front desk a lot.
Larger maps showing where everything is located would have been nice as well.
2) Salmon Run Restaurant/ Black Bear Saloon - CONFUSING!! In the lobby we read menus to decide where we wanted to eat. We decided Black Bear Saloon had more food options for us (since we're not big on seafood). We walked into the Black Bear doors and had to walk up to the bar, stand there and look dumb, while we waited to ask someone if we were in the right spot to dine. We were told to go back out and around to the Salmon Run Hostess inside that entrance, in which we did. We were told that they would give us the option of which menu there. We were seated with only a Salmon Run menu and when we asked about the other, we were told to move to the tables closer to the bar (where we had originally came in and asked). In the end, the restaurants share a space. it's very confusing and wish they had an easel outside of the place or a hostess inside the Black Bear entrance to help. Again, it's like they expected everyone to have been there before and information was lacking and wasn't found.
3) Safety. - when arriving mid-afternoon and lugging our luggage into the building and up the stairs, we immediately noticed the stairway was SUPER dark and hard to see (especially when your eyes are trying to adjust from the outdoor sun light). In the stairway, they have a light on the middle of the wall which makes it harder to see because of the glare it gives. The stairs NEED better lighting along the stairs.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This lodge is set on 235 acres along the shores of Lake Erie, between the towns of Huron and Sandusky. Guestrooms offer TVs, phones with voice mail, wireless internet, coffeemakers, hair dryers, and irons with boards. Among the hotel's facilities are an 18-hole golf course, two swimming pools, a private beach, 4 restaurants, and convention meeting space. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Traveltool, S.L.U., Booking.com, Priceline, Travel Republic (UK) and getaroom.com so you can book your Sawmill Creek Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sawmill Creek Hotel Huron
- Huron Sawmill Resort
- Sawmill Creek Resort Huron, Ohio