“We recommend this place and will stay again!”

Sawmill Creek Resort
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Huron
Vassar, Michigan
“We recommend this place and will stay again!”
Reviewed 30 June 2013 via mobile

I would recommend this place, for sure! My husband and I celebrated our 1st year anniversary trip and had a fabulous getaway here! The place is huge and has a lot to do. Indoor/ outdoor pools, tiki-bar at the outside pool, a cute store, jet ski's, kayaks, beach, bar, restaurants, golfing, tennis...
I was impressed with the room when I walked in. A nicely furnished room with updating. A gas fireplace, mini-fridge, gorgeous view, very clean, and the bed was the most comfortable bed I've ever had at a hotel!
I would definitely book again! No question!!
There are some things the resort needs to work on and fix.
1) Information. - they were friendly at check-in but my husband and I felt like we were left to already know things. We were not told (or was it written anywhere when check-out time was. We had to question how to get to the beach. We had to question information on the Sunset Boat Excursion.. We would have liked information about the nature trail also. It would have been nice if they would have just given us a paper with all the information on it (or had it in our room with the binder of other not-so-useful info) so we didn't have to call up to the front desk a lot.
Larger maps showing where everything is located would have been nice as well.
2) Salmon Run Restaurant/ Black Bear Saloon - CONFUSING!! In the lobby we read menus to decide where we wanted to eat. We decided Black Bear Saloon had more food options for us (since we're not big on seafood). We walked into the Black Bear doors and had to walk up to the bar, stand there and look dumb, while we waited to ask someone if we were in the right spot to dine. We were told to go back out and around to the Salmon Run Hostess inside that entrance, in which we did. We were told that they would give us the option of which menu there. We were seated with only a Salmon Run menu and when we asked about the other, we were told to move to the tables closer to the bar (where we had originally came in and asked). In the end, the restaurants share a space. it's very confusing and wish they had an easel outside of the place or a hostess inside the Black Bear entrance to help. Again, it's like they expected everyone to have been there before and information was lacking and wasn't found.
3) Safety. - when arriving mid-afternoon and lugging our luggage into the building and up the stairs, we immediately noticed the stairway was SUPER dark and hard to see (especially when your eyes are trying to adjust from the outdoor sun light). In the stairway, they have a light on the middle of the wall which makes it harder to see because of the glare it gives. The stairs NEED better lighting along the stairs.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank eb910

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
ohio
Reviewed 22 June 2013

June 20 2013 This was friday/saturday getaway. The staff was polite, professional, and very willing to serve. I found the lodge,grounds,room, and pools very clean. No bugs, and it was midgy season to boot!! The areas to explore were abundant, the sitting areas beautiful. The Ohio Indian artifacts were well displayed and informative for all ages. The grounds and landscaping very inviting. We had a voucher that included room,2breakfast buffets, {great assortment of food} and 25.00 voucher for bikes or marina rentals. The Sheldon park next door was an outstanding walk through forest,marsh and beach. I would highly recommend this Lodge!!!

Room Tip: Ask for the newly renovated rooms, ours was 1207 near everything.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 22 June 2013

The resort’s various amenities are plentiful, the people are excellent – but the guest rooms desperately needs a makeover. The oak furniture and brass light fixtures are from a bygone era, along with the very dated bathroom fixtures. In these days of the abundance of high thread count bed linens, the linens used here are so old it is pilling up (see picture). Add all-foam core pillows, lumpy mattress, I didn’t sleep well. The short shag carpet that hides peanuts and gummy bears from previous guests completed a hotel experience I haven’t had from 20+ years ago. I can do without modern flat panel TV and curved shower rods, but essentials such as a quiet air conditioner that does not wheeze all night is crucial, so is a full-length mirror and wireless internet. This was a nice place to stay – 20 years ago. They have to put some money into updating now...

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Amge55

Travellers are raving about these Huron hotels

Fairview Park, Ohio
Reviewed 17 June 2013

I am only writing this review because we hope to keep others from having the same experience as we did. Upon arrival, the front desk staff were less than helpful. We were starving so we went to check out our options for lunch. We walked all the way to the Marina to check it out and it didn't open until 5:00 p.m. which is fine. We then went to Mulligan's and they were closed for the day for a private party. We walked back to the front desk to see what our options were and we were clearly a bother. Salmon Run was our only option so we were led out to our pine needle covered table. Luch was okay and our server rushed us along. We then decided it was pool time. We went out to find that the pool water was so cold, clearly unheated, that there weren't even any kids in the water! We decided we would try the indoor pool, which when we walked in, were greeted by the smell of sewer. Not sure what was going on there, but it wasn't pleasant. We stuck it out by the outdoor pool and made the best of it. When dinner time rolled around, the shower was another story. Scalding hot water to freezing cold water and a drain that didn't drain. Needless to say, these were short showers. We went to Salmon Run again for dinner and were greeted by airplane quality food at best. Our server was new so the manager decided to tell us she would buy us a dessert for "sticking us with this server. I normally don't like to do that." Her name was Michelle and she was great for her 3rd day. We did have a good time with the band that played! We got up for breakfast and had a coupon since we upgraded our package and were greeted with watery scrambled eggs, burnt hash browns and matted bacon. Given the dated feel of the entire property, our delapidated room and not so good service, we feel that this property was WAY overrated for $269 a night. We didn't say anything at checkout because there were so many people around and the same unhelpful individuals at the front desk. Think twice before booking this hotel!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Michelle W
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed 29 May 2013

If I wasn't double-billed for my 1-night stay, I probably wouldn't have bothered to tell others about my other experiences at this hotel. For example:
1. Insect-friendly rooms with spiders and other crawling critters (most likely due to the lack of window screens).
2. Children running through the halls and slamming doors at 10:30 pm, without a hotel employee or management member in sight.
3. NO wireless internet. They will offer you a 1995-era ethernet cord if you happened to bring your 1999 model Gateway desktop with AOL capabilities. These cords are not compatible with Macbooks or modern laptops. So, if you're fed up with being able to check email and flight/map information during your trip, this is the solution for you!
4. Furnishing, blankets and designs from the 1980s are great for the nostalgic traveler. And with a circa-1989 Zenith 16" TV, it's like zipping back in time! Hey, is "Full House" on yet? Turn on this TV and find out!
5. Long hallways connect the various sections of the hotel, which is great when you have to travel 1/2 mile to find an ice machine. It's a win-win - tons of exercise and free ice in a bucket!

I might have kept these secrets to myself. But upon checkout, the hotel decided to charge me AGAIN for the full cost of the room, even though they noted I had paid through hotels.com a week prior. (Management refused to refund me when I called back about this a day later.) I'd like to say my 1-night stay here was an experience worth paying twice for. However, when you factor in the extra $140 that was stolen by the desk clerk, I paid a Four Seasons price for a Motel 6 experience.

I'm not returning and would advise others to stay away. Those six-and-eight-legged friends are gonna miss me, but I'm not going back unless they're willing to pay for the room.

Room Tip: Ask for Room 2226. It has a spider I wasn't able to catch and that little guy might provide good...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Johnny_Advisor
Euclid, Ohio
Reviewed 28 May 2013

My wife and I stayed here while visiting Cedar Point amusement Park (just 5 mins away) and were delighted with our stay. Beautiful rooms, common areas, property, grounds, waterfront, marina, and pool, this is a terrific option for those who want to visit Cedar Point but may need some rest between exhausting days at the park. Moreover, if the weather is not cooperative for the amusement park, this hotel will meet the needs of those who need indoor activities.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank GREG M
Maumee, Ohio
Reviewed 20 May 2013

We had the pleasure of spending our 15th wedding anniversay at Sawmill Creek. This was our first stay here and could not have been happier! When we arrived to check in the gentleman at the counter upgraded us to a king room with a fireplace after learning it was our anniversary. We bought the golf package and thought the course was absolutely beautiful and in good shape. We slept well in a nice comfy bed in a very clean and inviting room. Along with our package came breakfast the following morning and there was plenty to choose from. The dining room was well staffed by very pleasant employees. We have not one complaint about Sawmill Creek! We are looking forward to our next visit!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank andrea b
Also consider these accommodations in or near Huron
South Beach Resort Hotel
Cedar Point's Hotel Breakers
Great Wolf Lodge
Great Wolf Lodge
#6 of 35 in Sandusky

Been to Sawmill Creek Resort? Share your experiences!