“Modern hotel with great ambiance”

Hyatt Place Cleveland/Independence
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Independence
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 16 March 2009

We stayed here over a holiday week-end. We found the hotel after doind a web search, and we booked online, not realizing what a cool hotel it would be. We chose it based on convenience and not on amenities, but, boy, were we impressed! The room was huge and styled with a modern flair. It had a large LCD TV, huge comfortable couch, nice desk area, refrig, coffee maker, and a huge, comfy bed. We ate in the restaurant off the lobby, had several glasses of wines, and just chilled out there. Also, in the middle of the night, my husband was hungry and ordered a sandwich from the restaurant, which was made fresh and was very good. If we're ever in the area again, we will definitely stay here again without a doubt. I can't say enough great things about this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 January 2009

Great location, just at the intersection of I-77 and I-480, centrally located if your travels take you to Greater Cleveland. I love the concept of Hyatt Place. Spacious rooms, nice television. Excellent bed. Will come back to this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 January 2009

Really enjoyed my brief 1-night stay at the Hyatt Place Independence. This was my first visit to a Hyatt Place hotel and I think the concept is awesome; it combines the great aspects of a full-service hotel (wine/beer bar, made-to-order food, in-room movies, comfortable lobby, etc.) with the convenient aspects of a roadside motel (free wifi, free breakfast, great value). I must respectfully disagree with previously negative reviews of the staff (or perhaps I encountered different staff members). They welcomed me warmly and told me about all the hotel's features. Finally, the room was great - the TV is huuuge and actually had digital channels. I wasn't bothered by the bathroom setup, though I was traveling alone. I made use of the food service, in-room movie service and wifi - all of which were easy and convenient. However I cannot rate the property 'excellent' because of noise - the climate control is very loud, actually loud enough to wake me up at night. Further, the shower/toilet of the neighboring rooms was quite loud. Overall I was very pleased and I'd certainly recommend this property to anyone in the area. Further, I will certainly seek Hyatt Place locations for future travel.

Stayed: December 2008
2  Thank Ascenseur
Reviewed 28 October 2008

I first heard about the Hyatt Place concept well before they opened because I'm a food and travel journalist. I was impressed by the promise of good design, free wi-fi, and unlimited Starbucks coffee at breakfast, as well as their 24/7 casual cafe style food service. I've since stayed at two Hyatt Places for a total of 7 nights in the past month and while I remain impressed by the design - both in terms of the physical design of the public spaces and guest rooms - God and the devil are in the details and service. At this particular location the staff not only barely rates a "Terrible" rating but is shockingly aggressive and hostile. I booked this room while I was en route but even if I'd had the chance to read the reviews here on my iPhone before booking, I would have suspected that past reviewers were exaggerating the poor service. They were not. I arrived very late - nearly midnight - after being on the road for nearly 10 hours. I was happy to see a self check-in kiosk right at the entry door but after several attempts the touch screen did not work. I went to the front desk, which is designed as a friendly counter. I explained that I tried to check in at the kiosk but that it didn't seem to be working. Without acknowledgment, the grim staff member immediately demanded a credit and photo ID - no greeting, much less friendly. My non-smoking, double room looked just as great as it does in photos but smelled of smoke, was noisy from its old window unit heater/air conditioning unit, dusty, and very poorly lit. There was even hair behind the bathroom door. On the bright side the signature beds are very comfortable - with Pacific Coast down comforters - and the Portico Spa toiletries so good that I didn't bother to use my own shampoo. The next day a friend even stopped mid sentence to say that my hair smelled great. While the 42-inch plasma screen television certainly is impressive, it's too big for the room - and quite frankly the money would have been better spent on better lighting and new climate units. At breakfast yes, they use Starbucks coffee but so little that it barely smells much less tastes of coffee. They do have Tazo teas which you can thankfully steep yourself to taste. The breakfast service design again exceeds expectations at this price point - with stylish real dishware, silverware, and glassware - but the food just basic prepackaged items - English muffins, bagels, white and wheat bread for toast, yogurt, hot and cold cereals, low and non-fat skim milk, apple and orange juices, as well as butter, jams, cream cheese, honey, and peanut butter packets. Properly brewed coffee in the morning - and plenty of it, as the airpots often went empty - can forgive a lot. And on a quiet morning, nearly every table was covered in dirty dishes and/or spills and crumbs. While trying to check out and book my next Hyatt Place stay, I discovered I was overcharged for the room and that my room phone did not work. The former problem was resolved begrudgingly, the latter was not - literally just shrugged off. I feel for the designers of the Hyatt Place concept because while it started out great, they need a staff that can bring it to life for the guests.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank lklc
Reviewed 10 October 2008

The hotel has a nice lobby/reception area and is very modern. Also, like the modern rooms and big tv! The bathroom is very small (had to step aside to shut the door) and ours wasn't very clean at all. The pull out couch was a nice option for our kids to sleep in. We used the pool but it was very cold as was the entire pool area. The breakfast in the morning was perfect for our family. Overall, we'd probably stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 September 2008

We stayed at this hotel on Saturday September 6th. It was easy to find with mapquest directions, otherwise it wasn't really easy to spot from the main road. The lobby was really nice. Lots of little nooks to sit in and flat screen tvs to watch. The room was nice and decorated with a modern look. The TV was really nice and we watched a couple of movies on HBO while there. The room design was good with one main exception....The bathroom. The bathroom was really small. Tub/Shower and Toilet in one small room. It would be impossible to sit on the toilet and open or close the door. It was also impossible to have the door open and lay the bath mat down and then shut the door. It was just a very poor design. Also our bathroom looked like it had multiple repairs to the ceiling that were only half done. The bathroom also had a slight appearance of mold along the molding. My husband (who is 6'2") said the shower head and the ceiling were way too low for anyone tall to comfortably shower. The only other concern I had with the room was that I noticed in several spots it appeared the carpet had not be vacuumed well. There were several spots of dust bunnies that I saw (especially around the window/air conditioner).

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 September 2008

Stayed at the Hyatt Place during a quick stopover on a return from Washington D.C. It is a newer property with some pretty progressive concepts. Self Check-In/Check-Out was easy and intuitive. Room setup was nice with large flat screen TV that could swivel to be seen in either the sleeping area or sitting area. TV also had a nice hookup panel for other sources (DVD player, computer, etc.). No problem hooking up portable DVD player to watch a movie on the large screen. Touch screen food ordering in the gallery is another interesting concept. Only problem was service was not the best. Ordered dinner one night and the food was slow to come out and one person's food came out 10 minutes ahead of the other's. The quality of the food was fine, just the service was not the greatest. I guess that's the down side of the more do-it-yourself concept of the hotel. Oh, and the non-smoking room smelled faintly of smoke. Not enough to make me ask to be moved but enough to notice every time you walked in. Overall, it was a decent place for the price.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple