“Super comfortable bed and hardly able to sleep? What a joke.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cleveland-Independence

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cleveland-Independence
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Independence
Akron, Ohio
“Super comfortable bed and hardly able to sleep? What a joke.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

I decided to stay here because I had a concert in Cleveland and couldn't afford to stay downtown. Location of hotel was good, the staff was adequate and moderately friendly, but certainly not the best I've seen. Room was pretty nice, and the bed was incredibly comfortable, so I was all ready for an amazing night's sleep...wow, was I ever let down. Either the walls in this hotel are paper thin, or the general clientele of this hotel are overall rude, disrespectful, and have no common sense whatsoever. A general rule of mine is whether I'm at a hotel, staying with friends or family, or at my apartment, always assume that walls are thin and you may be heard, and be aware of others and be respectful of them. Fairly simple, really. Whoever was staying there when I unfortunately was apparently doesn't understand this concept. I understand people want to enjoy themselves and have fun, but at some point, people want to sleep...in this case, me at 5AM. I've been to hundreds of hotels, all over the place, so I've seen a lot. I've never experienced this problem to the extent I did here. No exaggerations: these people were partying from the moment I got into my room at 11 straight up till almost 6 IN THE MORNING. I called the front desk and mentioned the noise around 2:00 or so, and was told they'd look into it, but I guess that was blown off because nothing changed. When I finally was able to get to sleep I had the lovely added pleasure of waking up at 8 to the crashing, clanking sound of metal from the elevators right outside my door. And what a tease, to have such an amazing bed that has the promise of a good night's sleep all over it, completely wasted. I couldn't wait to leave. If it has something to do with the soundproof quality of the rooms/walls, perhaps that could be acknowledged and resolved in some way. If it's because the hotel's target customer is someone who's rude and lacks judgment, manners, and basic hotel etiquette, I'm not sure what you can do about that. And I'm not that kind of customer, so if that's indeed the case, I shan't be returning.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank eronel1851

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Fairview, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

Simple repairs at this hotel could transform it from good to great. However, the staff must know this and thus certainly go out of their way to make up for it. Our first room, no lie, had a window that was so drafty, there was a PILE of snow inside. One call to the front desk got us in another room. This wasn't a big deal, because there was a wall thermostat that made the room plenty cozy in both rooms. The pool was nice, but COLD!!! This may be because it is an indoor/outdoor pool, with the divider. I mean, they constantly have to heat both pools, even the outside one, so I can’t imagine what their heating bill is. The hot tub was very nice, as long as you get to it early in the morning before everyone else. The pool was constantly crowded, which shows it is a popular, affordable location.All in all, I have to say that it was a nice getaway. And thanks to Captain James T. Kirk, we got quite a deal ;)

Room Tip: Ask to check out the room first before you haul your luggage up. Check out the windows & the rem...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2012

We booked this hotel through hotel.ca and got a great price. As we booked for 4 days there was a discount on our stay. We checked in on Christmas day and the hotel looked dead. It picked up after a day. The staff at the reception was great and so was their swimming pool, gym and whirlpool. If I am ever in the Cleveland area again I am only going to stay here. Great service, Great location, Great Hotel.

Room Tip: Higher floors for a good view.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank ScarboroughMirror
Dunlap, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2012

We got a great deal through Hot wire- a rare occurrence where we were able to actually SEE the hotel and select the room type . We opted to ‘upgrade’ to the Executive Level King , which included a sumptuous full service breakfast buffet each morning and a glass of wine or beer plus an appetizer for each of us for the evening. ( We’d have paid the $10.95 pp otherwise; it really was one of the best breakfast buffets we’ve had.) Normally, there is a concierge room on that floor for this service, but ot was closed for some reason that week. Worked out well, as we simply dined in Shulas 2 downstairs instead. I was treated with respect at check in, which was friendly, smooth and pleasant. Yes, the cookies are yummy too! The room was really nice, well laid out, roomy well appointed and very clean. There was bottled water and really good Wolfgang Puck Coffee and Earl Gray Tea. The next day, we asked for, and received a fridge for the room.
Our housekeeper, Becca, was wonderful. The room was kept spotless.
There were two other couples arriving ( for a funeral) at different days, so having the Shulas 2 full service restaurant and lounge there made it very pleasant for us to meet for conversation and meals. Several different dining areas was a nice option too, offering fireplace or window seating with TV’s for the sports games , etc. ( Especially in the lounge area)
Now, I WILL confirm that previous negative reviews about the location of electrical plugs are true.
It was addressed somewhat in our room by adding a 6 way plug, but the outlet for the bedside lamp was located behind the headboard. The plug had apparently come loose, and not wanting to bother having someone come up, I had to move the bed and headboard in order to get to it to put it back in. I should have called down, I suppose. Not a big deal, but showed a bit of a lack of planning when they did the renovations (which were quite nice).
The bed and pillows were very comfortable, the bath towels fluffy and luxurious and the soap and shampoos quite nice. The lobby area was comfortable too; one are with a fireplace, the other with a large screen TV.
Overall, a very nice stay. Don't understand the other negative reviews, as we encountered attentive service and had a good nights rest each night. This is a full service hotel , convenient location with meeting rooms, convention and banquet facilities, pool and gym.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank kaw54realestate
Rob W, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cleveland-Independence, responded to this review, 10 January 2012
Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us! We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay while here in Independence, Ohio, even under the circumstances of your travel. We will be certain to let Becca know of your comments on her housekeeping service, and though we are aware of the plug location issue, we are actively working on a way to correct that in our rooms. We look forward to having you as a guest again!
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2011

Good, average hotel. Comfy beds, clean room. Bathroom could've been cleaner. Gym had good quality equipment - but no towels or water available.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank Seg800
Oswego, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2011

I went here with my fiance for our anniversary for a couple nights on our way to go visit family. No complaints, reasonable rates when booked online, a nice pool and hot tub. The pool is indoor outdoor in the summer, was fall so just indoor when I went. Our room was clean, the staff was friendly enough. The warm cookie thing is nice after a long drive (all Doubletrees do this). Good restaurants in the area, and a very safe seeming part of the city. There are also trails nearby if you're a walker/runner. Only problem I had was the first night there was a very loud neighbor, up late then against our door arguing on the phone in the morning. It's not the hotel's fault because we didn't call to complain, we just made sure the same guest wasn't booked next door the next night. I thought maybe the rooms (which had a door between them) might carry sound easily and that was the issue, but her and her friends were just really loud because didn't hear a peep out of new guest the following night.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AmyRoxSox
Rob W, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cleveland-Independence, responded to this review, 27 December 2011
Thank you very much for your review of your stay with us! We are glad you appreciated our pool and the warm DoubleTree cookie! We apologize for the noise disturbance you encountered during your stay with us, and look forward to seeing you on your next trip to the Cleveland area!
Overland Park, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2011

Have stayed here several times in the last year. Service is consistant, Checkin is smooth. Rooms are nice, well appointed, clean and quiet. the evening managers lounge for Hilton Honor members is good. no complaints. a good option in teh area.

Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Bill F
Thank you very much for the review of your stay with us! We are glad to see you found your room comfortable and appreciated the process at our reception desk. We look forward to seeing you in our Manager's Reception lounge during your next stay to the Cleveland area!