“Excellent Place To Stay”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cleveland-Independence
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Independence
Reviewed 16 March 2012

I went to Cleveland for our annual family fish fry. This was my first time staying at a Doubletree hotel. The hotel was nice, clean, & newly renovated. The hotel staff was very nice. The free cookies were very good. I'm going to book another stay at this hotel for this years family fish fry. Everything surrounds this hotel too.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Trina F

Reviewed 5 March 2012

Checked in this past weekend 03/02/12-03/04/12. Had king bed non smoking confirmed. Arrived and check in was fine with the exception of suppose to be getting a free fruit basket delivered that never happened. Had room on 5th floor. Every room was suppose to be non smoking. Walking the halls on the 5th floor to get to room was nasty and smelled like nasty stinking cigarette smoke. I complained to the front desk. The smoke smell penetrated all night under my door. I complained again and told the front desk that someone is smoking and I'm tired of smelling it. The front desk said no one should be smoking. I said well you need to check because someone is. I called the corporate office of Hilton and filed a complaint because the front desk said they could not open up rooms to see who was smoking. They sprayed to hallway but it did not help with the smell. Well it was a violation of the hotel policy and that bull crap. They did not want to check. I drove 600 miles to bring my daughter to a science fair and had to smell cigarettes all night. This same room must of had the same person tracking down the smell sweep the floor because the room had candy wrappers on the floor, and under the desk, plus an empty lotion bottle behind the head board, and a dead bug stuck to the wall. The second night i requested another room, they put me in a similar room, except with no smoke smell, but a water stained curtain in the room. The pool was packed with a bunch of unsupervised screaming kids, and not towels. Waited 2 hours for towels in the pool. This place is well below any Hilton Property. I would never stay here again and there is a nice looking Embassy Suites across the street. Think Twice, read all the other reviews to see all the complaints. The manager and staff don't give a crap about complaints because there was no effort to improve the problems. No compensation or refund was not offered. I will follow up with Hilton Corporate. Hilton is going to get a bad reputation from this hotel and all the customer complaints.!

Room Tip: Look at a different Hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Bobrstl
Reviewed 4 March 2012

My partner and I stayed at the Doubletree Independence on 3/3/12. We got a relatively good deal on priceline and looked forward to a nice weekend. This would not be the case, however. We were in our room watching tv, when we saw a bed bug crawl across the bed spread. I quickly got a tissue and smashed the bug, taking it to the front office. We were told by the front office staff that this was only a "traveler" bed bug, and she insisted that the hotel was not infested. I have never heard of bed bugs "traveling" and certainly not going on trips alone. She then tried to have us leave immediately. Since the hotel was booked through priceline, she said that they would arrange for us to have another room elsewhere. This was not the case, however, priceline would not be able to assist us in getting a new room. Since it was already 10 at night, it would be difficult to find another hotel anyway, so we agreed to stay on a different floor. The new room proved equally disappointing and had windows that were not sealed correctly....you could hear loud traffic all night. When this was reported, we were told to leave if we could, rather than be given a new room or have the problem fixed. Overall, we were treated very poorely by customer service there. There was no manager on duty to talk to and we were not given the option to get help. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. Further, I am going to recommend that this hotel not be used by my professional organizations in the future.

Room Tip: Avoid this place
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank sjukone
Rob W, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cleveland-Independence, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2012

Thank you for your response on TripAdvisor. We sincerely apologize for your experience during your stay with us at DoubleTree - Cleveland / Independence. Upon your departure, the room was immediately placed out of order so that the room could be thoroughly inspected for any evidence of the insect you reported / provided. We are addressing the service related aspect with the team member you encountered, and hope that Hilton Hotels will continue to be your choice of hotels when travelling.

Reviewed 25 February 2012

I decided to stay here because I had a concert in Cleveland and couldn't afford to stay downtown. Location of hotel was good, the staff was adequate and moderately friendly, but certainly not the best I've seen. Room was pretty nice, and the bed was incredibly comfortable, so I was all ready for an amazing night's sleep...wow, was I ever let down. Either the walls in this hotel are paper thin, or the general clientele of this hotel are overall rude, disrespectful, and have no common sense whatsoever. A general rule of mine is whether I'm at a hotel, staying with friends or family, or at my apartment, always assume that walls are thin and you may be heard, and be aware of others and be respectful of them. Fairly simple, really. Whoever was staying there when I unfortunately was apparently doesn't understand this concept. I understand people want to enjoy themselves and have fun, but at some point, people want to sleep...in this case, me at 5AM. I've been to hundreds of hotels, all over the place, so I've seen a lot. I've never experienced this problem to the extent I did here. No exaggerations: these people were partying from the moment I got into my room at 11 straight up till almost 6 IN THE MORNING. I called the front desk and mentioned the noise around 2:00 or so, and was told they'd look into it, but I guess that was blown off because nothing changed. When I finally was able to get to sleep I had the lovely added pleasure of waking up at 8 to the crashing, clanking sound of metal from the elevators right outside my door. And what a tease, to have such an amazing bed that has the promise of a good night's sleep all over it, completely wasted. I couldn't wait to leave. If it has something to do with the soundproof quality of the rooms/walls, perhaps that could be acknowledged and resolved in some way. If it's because the hotel's target customer is someone who's rude and lacks judgment, manners, and basic hotel etiquette, I'm not sure what you can do about that. And I'm not that kind of customer, so if that's indeed the case, I shan't be returning.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank eronel1851
Reviewed 15 February 2012

Simple repairs at this hotel could transform it from good to great. However, the staff must know this and thus certainly go out of their way to make up for it. Our first room, no lie, had a window that was so drafty, there was a PILE of snow inside. One call to the front desk got us in another room. This wasn't a big deal, because there was a wall thermostat that made the room plenty cozy in both rooms. The pool was nice, but COLD!!! This may be because it is an indoor/outdoor pool, with the divider. I mean, they constantly have to heat both pools, even the outside one, so I can’t imagine what their heating bill is. The hot tub was very nice, as long as you get to it early in the morning before everyone else. The pool was constantly crowded, which shows it is a popular, affordable location.All in all, I have to say that it was a nice getaway. And thanks to Captain James T. Kirk, we got quite a deal ;)

Room Tip: Ask to check out the room first before you haul your luggage up. Check out the windows & the rem...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 January 2012

We booked this hotel through hotel.ca and got a great price. As we booked for 4 days there was a discount on our stay. We checked in on Christmas day and the hotel looked dead. It picked up after a day. The staff at the reception was great and so was their swimming pool, gym and whirlpool. If I am ever in the Cleveland area again I am only going to stay here. Great service, Great location, Great Hotel.

Room Tip: Higher floors for a good view.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank ScarboroughMirror
Reviewed 8 January 2012

We got a great deal through Hot wire- a rare occurrence where we were able to actually SEE the hotel and select the room type . We opted to ‘upgrade’ to the Executive Level King , which included a sumptuous full service breakfast buffet each morning and a glass of wine or beer plus an appetizer for each of us for the evening. ( We’d have paid the $10.95 pp otherwise; it really was one of the best breakfast buffets we’ve had.) Normally, there is a concierge room on that floor for this service, but ot was closed for some reason that week. Worked out well, as we simply dined in Shulas 2 downstairs instead. I was treated with respect at check in, which was friendly, smooth and pleasant. Yes, the cookies are yummy too! The room was really nice, well laid out, roomy well appointed and very clean. There was bottled water and really good Wolfgang Puck Coffee and Earl Gray Tea. The next day, we asked for, and received a fridge for the room.
Our housekeeper, Becca, was wonderful. The room was kept spotless.
There were two other couples arriving ( for a funeral) at different days, so having the Shulas 2 full service restaurant and lounge there made it very pleasant for us to meet for conversation and meals. Several different dining areas was a nice option too, offering fireplace or window seating with TV’s for the sports games , etc. ( Especially in the lounge area)
Now, I WILL confirm that previous negative reviews about the location of electrical plugs are true.
It was addressed somewhat in our room by adding a 6 way plug, but the outlet for the bedside lamp was located behind the headboard. The plug had apparently come loose, and not wanting to bother having someone come up, I had to move the bed and headboard in order to get to it to put it back in. I should have called down, I suppose. Not a big deal, but showed a bit of a lack of planning when they did the renovations (which were quite nice).
The bed and pillows were very comfortable, the bath towels fluffy and luxurious and the soap and shampoos quite nice. The lobby area was comfortable too; one are with a fireplace, the other with a large screen TV.
Overall, a very nice stay. Don't understand the other negative reviews, as we encountered attentive service and had a good nights rest each night. This is a full service hotel , convenient location with meeting rooms, convention and banquet facilities, pool and gym.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank kaw54realestate
Rob W, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cleveland-Independence, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2012

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us! We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay while here in Independence, Ohio, even under the circumstances of your travel. We will be certain to let Becca know of your comments on her housekeeping service, and though we are aware of the plug location issue, we are actively working on a way to correct that in our rooms. We look forward to having you as a guest again!