“Bloody pillow case.”

Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Independence
central indiana
“Bloody pillow case.”
Reviewed 4 April 2012

I'd like to start out on a positive note. The staff at this hotel are very polite and helpful. They alone are the only reason I could even rate it this high.

Get to the room after a family dinner. Toss the leftovers in the fridge and go to prepare a drink. No liners for the ice bucket. Not a big deal, but the beginning. Housekeeping brings some up.

My son lays on the bed and puts his head on the pillow. Turns it over for the cool side and notices it has dried blood on it. Hotel moves us to another room.

After moving all our stuff and settling in we open the cabinet where the mini fridge is supposed to be to place the previously mentioned leftovers. Not one there. Maintenance brings one.

The hotel staff addressed each of our issues quickly. My problem is that I don't expect issues like this to arise at a quality hotel. Especially one involving bodily fluids.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank 1holein1
Rob W, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cleveland-Independence, responded to this review, 18 April 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us. We are glad that the staff was accomodating during your stay, but sincerely apologize for the condition of the room during your stay. If you would like to discuss your stay with us, please do not hesitate to contact us at (216) 447-1300, extension 714.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Orlando
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Except for 1 lady who didn't like that we showed up for breakfast 10minutes before they closed, the service was EXCEPTIONAL from everyone at the hotel! a very pretty hotel with GREAT staff, and nice rooms. Good gym, fast Internet and an awesome breakfast buffet (that was free with my reservation). I think I paid under $100 a night too!

• Stayed March 2012
ohio
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Large rooms, some of the nicest staff i have ever met, nice exec lounge, good breakfast. Ok workout space, lobby is pretty good. Now look, this property has some miles on it. It is a little older....in my opinion the service from the staff makes up for the age and condition of the property.

Lyndsey at the front desk was helpful in selecting local restaurants and area advice.

I will return again....and probably again and again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing front of property have view of downtown.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 16 March 2012

I went to Cleveland for our annual family fish fry. This was my first time staying at a Doubletree hotel. The hotel was nice, clean, & newly renovated. The hotel staff was very nice. The free cookies were very good. I'm going to book another stay at this hotel for this years family fish fry. Everything surrounds this hotel too.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Trina F
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Checked in this past weekend 03/02/12-03/04/12. Had king bed non smoking confirmed. Arrived and check in was fine with the exception of suppose to be getting a free fruit basket delivered that never happened. Had room on 5th floor. Every room was suppose to be non smoking. Walking the halls on the 5th floor to get to room was nasty and smelled like nasty stinking cigarette smoke. I complained to the front desk. The smoke smell penetrated all night under my door. I complained again and told the front desk that someone is smoking and I'm tired of smelling it. The front desk said no one should be smoking. I said well you need to check because someone is. I called the corporate office of Hilton and filed a complaint because the front desk said they could not open up rooms to see who was smoking. They sprayed to hallway but it did not help with the smell. Well it was a violation of the hotel policy and that bull crap. They did not want to check. I drove 600 miles to bring my daughter to a science fair and had to smell cigarettes all night. This same room must of had the same person tracking down the smell sweep the floor because the room had candy wrappers on the floor, and under the desk, plus an empty lotion bottle behind the head board, and a dead bug stuck to the wall. The second night i requested another room, they put me in a similar room, except with no smoke smell, but a water stained curtain in the room. The pool was packed with a bunch of unsupervised screaming kids, and not towels. Waited 2 hours for towels in the pool. This place is well below any Hilton Property. I would never stay here again and there is a nice looking Embassy Suites across the street. Think Twice, read all the other reviews to see all the complaints. The manager and staff don't give a crap about complaints because there was no effort to improve the problems. No compensation or refund was not offered. I will follow up with Hilton Corporate. Hilton is going to get a bad reputation from this hotel and all the customer complaints.!

Room Tip: Look at a different Hotel.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Bobrstl
Reviewed 4 March 2012

My partner and I stayed at the Doubletree Independence on 3/3/12. We got a relatively good deal on priceline and looked forward to a nice weekend. This would not be the case, however. We were in our room watching tv, when we saw a bed bug crawl across the bed spread. I quickly got a tissue and smashed the bug, taking it to the front office. We were told by the front office staff that this was only a "traveler" bed bug, and she insisted that the hotel was not infested. I have never heard of bed bugs "traveling" and certainly not going on trips alone. She then tried to have us leave immediately. Since the hotel was booked through priceline, she said that they would arrange for us to have another room elsewhere. This was not the case, however, priceline would not be able to assist us in getting a new room. Since it was already 10 at night, it would be difficult to find another hotel anyway, so we agreed to stay on a different floor. The new room proved equally disappointing and had windows that were not sealed correctly....you could hear loud traffic all night. When this was reported, we were told to leave if we could, rather than be given a new room or have the problem fixed. Overall, we were treated very poorely by customer service there. There was no manager on duty to talk to and we were not given the option to get help. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. Further, I am going to recommend that this hotel not be used by my professional organizations in the future.

Room Tip: Avoid this place
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank sjukone
Rob W, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cleveland-Independence, responded to this review, 10 March 2012
Thank you for your response on TripAdvisor. We sincerely apologize for your experience during your stay with us at DoubleTree - Cleveland / Independence. Upon your departure, the room was immediately placed out of order so that the room could be thoroughly inspected for any evidence of the insect you reported / provided. We are addressing the service related aspect with the team member you encountered, and hope that Hilton Hotels will continue to be your choice of hotels when travelling.
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed 25 February 2012

I decided to stay here because I had a concert in Cleveland and couldn't afford to stay downtown. Location of hotel was good, the staff was adequate and moderately friendly, but certainly not the best I've seen. Room was pretty nice, and the bed was incredibly comfortable, so I was all ready for an amazing night's sleep...wow, was I ever let down. Either the walls in this hotel are paper thin, or the general clientele of this hotel are overall rude, disrespectful, and have no common sense whatsoever. A general rule of mine is whether I'm at a hotel, staying with friends or family, or at my apartment, always assume that walls are thin and you may be heard, and be aware of others and be respectful of them. Fairly simple, really. Whoever was staying there when I unfortunately was apparently doesn't understand this concept. I understand people want to enjoy themselves and have fun, but at some point, people want to sleep...in this case, me at 5AM. I've been to hundreds of hotels, all over the place, so I've seen a lot. I've never experienced this problem to the extent I did here. No exaggerations: these people were partying from the moment I got into my room at 11 straight up till almost 6 IN THE MORNING. I called the front desk and mentioned the noise around 2:00 or so, and was told they'd look into it, but I guess that was blown off because nothing changed. When I finally was able to get to sleep I had the lovely added pleasure of waking up at 8 to the crashing, clanking sound of metal from the elevators right outside my door. And what a tease, to have such an amazing bed that has the promise of a good night's sleep all over it, completely wasted. I couldn't wait to leave. If it has something to do with the soundproof quality of the rooms/walls, perhaps that could be acknowledged and resolved in some way. If it's because the hotel's target customer is someone who's rude and lacks judgment, manners, and basic hotel etiquette, I'm not sure what you can do about that. And I'm not that kind of customer, so if that's indeed the case, I shan't be returning.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo