“Yound married couple getting away for the weekend...”
Review of Lakeshore Landing

Lakeshore Landing
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kelleys Island
Lakeshore Landing
Ranked #8 of 10 Kelleys Island B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 May 2012

My husband & I had a very pleasant visit here. I was afraid to stay here at first due to the reviews, but we encountered no problems while staying. Carolann was more than willing to answer any questions we had and was helpful. On the last day we wanted to stay around and hike trails, but didn't want to lug all our our things around. She was nice enough to let us leave our stuff in the sun room while we went hiking. I feel some people who wrote previous reviews were looking for reasons to complain. B&B's as far as I know are usually known for "couples", not families. This could be the reason why it may have been "cramped". I would recommend a hotel for families. People also have to remember this is someones private home and simply being courteous goes a long way. The owner is a retiree, whom probably does go to bed early, and if you aware your coming in later than expected a phone call probably would be helpful as well. Also in one instance I thought the owner "ignored me" when I was talking to her, but she apologized by stating she has a hard time hearing. We were respectful to her and we got the respect back. As someone stated breakfast was not the best, but it was good enough. I hate others had such a horrible experience, because I felt our visit was wonderful, and the owner deserved some positive feedback. Also, we stayed in the bedroom downstairs right at the entrance, did not have to share a bathroom, very roomy and it was pleasant.

Room Tip: Bedroom closest to entrance has private bathroom. Nice views and nice airy room with fan.Only compla...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KelleysIsland

Reviewed 14 September 2011

It may sound bad, but i am glad I am not alone in feeling mistreated. We stayed here with our young daughter, it was so tiny, after putting our daughter on an air mattress, we barely had room to walk. The worst was the bathroom, we had to share with the owner, because it was evidently the only one downstairs except for the one in the private master. Our bathroom had a small window opening into our host's private office, and she kept opening the window even after i explained to her that it made us feel very uncomfortable. I wanted to nail it shut! After that, she mostly seemed to ignore us. There were some positive things about the property, like the hammock and little patio of sorts across the street where you could sit and watch all the activity at the ferry,and the house itself is quite lovely and very clean. We rented a golf cart and explored every inch of Kellys Island and found it spectacular. There are many back roads and interesting places to explore, and some really great restaurants. I do wish our host could have been a more amicable person, it would have made the trip much more pleasant.

Room Tip: The master suite on the ground floor seemed to be the best choice. It had a private bath, was very l...
  • Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
6  Thank nanasandi3
Reviewed 29 July 2011

This was the second B&B we have ever stayed at and I assumed there would be breakfast. I wish I would have asked. Coffee cake, cereal, and fruit was not what I had in mind. We were spoiled at the first place with eggs, ham, and Dutch Apple pancakes. You had the impression that you were just a paycheck and not actually welcomed. Certainly no meet and greet. The directions to the room were confusing and i can understand the other person's review about that. Very little conversation from the owner unless you initiated it. In fact the first words from her was to ask for the rent check which surprised me.
I wouldn't stay in the rooms on the second floor since the air conditioning didn't quite reach there. The fan was broken so we left early rather than spend the night in a sauna since the humidity was in the 90's! The location was great and the home is pretty but there could more effort to make the rooms nicer.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the second floor rooms in hot weather!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank bonnieyagiela
Reviewed 25 June 2011

We stayed here because we booked last minute, and it was the only place that was <$200 per night. I understand the mixed reviews, and here is my take on it. The owner wants a nice house on Kelleys, and the only way she can afford it is to have guests. So you are expected to fit into her lifestyle, and if you deviate from that plan, she doesn't appreciate it. She is not directly rude, she just is uninterested in accomodating you. In return, she will charge you less than other places. For us, that meant getting a negative-leaning comment when I indicated we were arriving after dinner, getting flack when I asked about putting our bikes in a safe location on the property, and having to share our closet space and chest of drawers with her winter coat and linens.. The kicker was when we asked if we could put our bags somewhere the day we checked out so we could go around the island. That was OK with her, but then she said we couldn't use the facilities at all when we came back, which meant we couldn't go to the (shared) bathroom when we returned so that it would be fresh for new guests. Which I found funny, because the hand towels or garbage hadn't been changed in the 2 days we were there.

The room was clean, the linens aren't changed, which didn't bother us. There was a tiny TV w/satellte. There was only 1 chair, so as a couple, on of us sat on the floor or on the bed to read or watch TV. The shared bathroom was downstairs while we were upstairs, which was sort of inconvenient. The location was great, though. Easy walk to downtown and the winery. Being next to the ferry was nice for easy access, but bad for the noise if you want to sleep in or go to bed too early.

If you are an easy-going person with low expectations, you will probably like this place. Personally, I'd rather spend the same amount and stay at Island House Inn or $40 more and stay at House on Huntington.

Room Tip: Downstairs room next to the entrance is noisy
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank OHCincytraveler
Reviewed 24 August 2008

We (myself and my husband) loved our stay, and would stay again. The house was lovely, and the dock was wonderful and relaxing. Bring a good book, and you could sit out by the beach all day. The house is right next to the marble head ferry, and a short walk downtown. This is a great place to stay if you're looking for a relaxing weekend. If you're going to the island and looking for something fun to do, I definitely recommend renting a kayak at the public beach (I believe the kayak rental guy is only there on weekends though).

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2008

Great Location..... Beautiful House....... Expectation of owner was that we not wake her when we came in at night. Seemed pretty reasonable. Priced less than new hotel on island....... We were really skeptical after reading earlier reviews but last minute arrangements made us give it a try. I can't help but think that previous reviews weren't made by those realizing they are staying in someone's house..... Continental Breakfast pretty limited, but again price seemed pretty fair compared to other options (which were already booked).
Owner isn't going to win 'host of the year" but was more than pleasant enough. - Hey we weren't there to see her anyway....

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
3  Thank Orton_8
Reviewed 27 May 2008

This was by far the worst place I have every stayed in my life!!! My friends and I arrived one night with a note on the counter indicating that we were supposed to sleep upstairs. After walking up the stairs we came across a lady who happened to be lying in the bed we thought was ours. We tried to get her attention, but was completely ignored. Not wanting to cause any problems, we decided that we would stay down stairs. When we returned back to the B&B our bags were thrown into the living room with a note that stated "reread the directions." After searching high & low throughout the house we came upon another stair case. As we reserved a place for four people we assumed that both rooms up stairs (one bed in each room) were for us. At 6:30 am we awoke to the owner banging on our door demanding that we pay another $120 for staying in the wrong room. We tried to to reason with her, but she completely refused. After indicating that we did not feel we owed her this money, she called the police on us. We explained that because of her we only got 3 hours of sleep and we also felt too uncomfortable to eat breakfast (which consisted of only donut holes). I have never been so disrespected in my life. I had heard this owner was mean before staying there, but I never would have imagined it would have been this bad. Please do not ruin your trip by staying here.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank dotti888

Been to Lakeshore Landing? Share your experiences!