“Very gross”
Review of Econo Lodge Kent

Econo Lodge Kent
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Kent
Reviewed 5 August 2012

I am disgusted that I paid over $100 (plus tax) for a room. I am very happy with "budget" hotels. However, this place was filthy. I was horrified when I got to the room. The smell of smoke was overpowering. Other issues in the room that were problematic: the light by the door did not work -- I had to search around for a light that worked. The floor was filthy, the linens were stained. The chairs were covered in stains. The corner of the room had wallpaper that was stained and billowing out, as if it had severe water damage. It looked like that wall was melting. I will never forget this EconoLodge experience, and felt a visceral, sickening response when seeing the EconoLodge sign as I drove by other exits on I-80 this weekend. That hotel is a disgusting pit. The girl at the front desk was very nice -- that is the one positive thing that I will say.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Sarah B

Reviewed 16 June 2012

I Came to Kent, Ohio for a horse show, and I wasn't very concerned about a fancy hotel, so I invested in a econo lodge. Unfortunately, I was completely let down. Number one, the pictures on line are VERY misleading. It is in a terrible Neighborhood (not recommended for families!!) and it is not very clean. Not only do the smoking rooms reak, but the whole hotel (even the non smoking) smells like cigarettes. The vent in my room was caked with resedue, and made it smell worse. The appliances didn't work (hair dryer, fridge) and the room did not have an iron. The drain was completely clogged, and the walls were stained pink? (I don't even want to know...) and, there was only one useable outlet in the room! Not very good if you have to charge\plug in items! So, in my opinion, do not book a room here... Thank you.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 4 April 2012

The staff were very nice to me, the room was clean & quiet; I don't really need anything else. I liked that there was a fridge and microwave in the room, and I liked the widescreen television. The breakfast wasn't great, but it was good enough, i.e. waffles, bagles, juice, coffee, etc...I'll be staying here again if I have to do any more work in Kent. I did have a non-smoking room, so I guess I can't really comment on the smoking rooms.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I"m a frequent guest at this hotel over 100 plus nights a year for the past 10 yrs. I"m always treated with respect and all my needs are met or exceeded. In summary this hotel is a great value for the business traveler or family vacationer.

Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 March 2012

Local police have busted several meth labs at this hotel.
Unless your a crack head I would suggest you stay at one of the other area hotels.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank richies60
Reviewed 11 October 2011

We were given the same room as Qwerty and his review is accurate, but missing a few things! The side of the building sported a huge banner that says, "Newly Renovated, Free Continental Breakfast, etc., etc., etc.! Their check-in time says 2:00 but is actually 3:00. I pointed this out--they didn't care. Carpet so dirty is feels like sticky dampness! The new renovations consisted of bedspreads, painted over shower stall, plastic shower head with a hose attached to the shower wall next to the remnants of what was the original. A clothes hanger rack was installed over a table so one could use either but not both. The microwave had a turntable mechanism but no tray. Lampshades were dirty and one was split and broken. There was NOT ONE TOWEL BAR in the bathroom--only one end "arm" of what had once held a towel bar. The sprinkler in the bathroom for the fire suppresion system was a total rust fixture. The bathroom fan did not work. Te bathroom light was on when we arrived--we discovered if it was turned off, one had to "play" with the switch to get it to work--AN OBVIOUS SHORT AND FIRE HAZARD. There was also a timer switch in the bathroom that did not work for anything. The bathroom ceiling was cracked and a piece hanging down that looked totally moldy on the underside. We had no choice but to stay and the maid service consisted of making the bed, taking out the trash & leaving towels--no vacuuming, no replenishing of soap, etc., no cleaning of ANYTHING. The place was very dirty. The two chairs were stained and dirty. They weren't useful as one could only be used under the clothes rack and the other could only fit in front of the bathroon door. The luggage rack was missing the straps on one side, so would only hold something small. Thankfully, we carried plenty of Lysol wipes and did our own "sanitizing" as soon as we arrived. There were auto air fresheners in the room and bathroom that smelled like coconut. We were charged $1/day for a room safe we didn't request and didn't use. There were no bedbugs, but something that looked like large black lightening bugs and good sized, black fuzzy spiders with a white dot on their backs. Research turned up a local news article about the police accidently discovering meth labs operating in two adjacent rooms this past summer--guess the maids never noticed!!!! THIS PLACE NEEDS TO BE GUTTED AND REDONE OR TORN DOWN AND REBUILT!!! WHERE ARE THE INSPECTORS THAT SHOULD DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS?

Room Tip: Carry your own cleaning and disinfecting supplies or STAY AWAY!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 September 2011

I've spent more money trying to make the room not reek of cigarettes then the cost of the room. The bed is comfortable sheets are clean though they put a queen sheet on a king.... Really? The carpets feel sticky. The toliet barely flushes. 50 a night I wasn't expecting the Hilton but this is just..... We leave the wind open when we're not in the room. Smells! And we're smokers! Oh yeah totally no hot tub and the pool is only three times bigger than my tub at home.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple