“Great people/Old Outdated structure”
Review of Econo Lodge Kent

Econo Lodge Kent
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Kent
Reviewed 21 July 2013

First is NOT the hotel that is pictured! There is NO awning on it.We had a emergency that held us up from checking in until late, late, late into the night. We had reserved the room a couple days before. The company we reserved through (choicehotels.com) sent them the wrong information so we did not get the double room we requested for. The room was a king with a moldy bathroom, stained, sticky carpet, stains on bed spread. Last room they had. Parking was horrible and we had to park across the hwy at a empty gas station. When I showed them my print out for the two rooms they fixed the problem first thing in the morning when the first double room was cleaned and available. Pool is a basically a 3 foot SMALL wading pool. The double room was a lot better than the king but the place needs to be pushed down and rebuilt and new linen supplied. The Manager and the night clerk were super.

Room Tip: call ahead to verify your reservations.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 17 July 2013

I don't know what hotel some of these people providing reviews were staying at??? Of course this isn't the Ritz Carlton but it is a great place to stay and is surprisingly nice. Front desk staff was nice, breakfast was simple and the pool was great. The room was clean, simple, and believe me we have stayed at some real dumps. This is a great inexpensive hotel, and my kids really enjoyed the food and pool, as well as the room (great air conditioning, by the way) and the staff was truly friendly. We look forward to returning!

Room Tip: Take the back row, high floor
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 July 2013

Was spending a couple of days visiting the Kent State area and didn't want to pay an arm and a leg for a room. Have to admit that I was very concerned when I drove in as the outside of the building did not look too good. However, the interior was a pleasant surprise. The check-in was easy and the employees very friendly. The room was clean & the bed was excellent (I rarely sleep well on trip but the matress was terrific). Room had a microwave & mini-fridge. Free wifi worked well. Breakfast definitely needs an upgrade though. Would definitely recommend anyone staying here to get a second floor room. But have to say that for the price, it wasn't bad.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 June 2013

We had to stay 2 nights in kent, do to a college visit. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on hotel rooms. I found Econo online and got a 2 nite stay for 100.00 including taxes. when driving up to hotel I thought OMG, and my husband gave me the look. There were a lot of junk cars parked in the parking lot and the outside doors were dirty. But inside the hotel lobby was clean and the girl behind the desk was really nice. The room was clean, but smelled like smoke, whole hotel did. The pillows were flat and mattress was worn out. Spring broken or something. The walls and ceiling are paper thin, we heard a lot of noise.The room was clean,but they never cleaned the room the second night or brought new towels. So if you normally pay 80-100 a night for a nice hotel room and then pay 45 or so for a room at this hotel,don't expect this hotel to be has nice as the higher priced room. One problem I did have is that the picture on the website is not this hotel, no grass, trees around and the first floor has outside doors to the rooms. If I knew there were outside doors I would of never stayed, but thankfully my room was on second floor.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 June 2013

My husband made reservations thinking he was calling an 800 number exclusively for Econo Lodge, as it turned out after we were already in northern Ohio he had used a third party vendor. This vendor DID NOT give us reservations for the Akron OH Econo Lodge, but the Econo Lodge in Kent Oh which is miles away from our scheduled events. We were told by both hotels we could not switch our reservations because we went through a third party vendor. With all this chaos we have now missed scheduled events for the weekend.
Once checking into this Kent hotel, the boxspring cover is filthy and the pillow cases are also dingy gray.
I'm sure Econo Lodge received our money and wondering why we couldn't switch hotels?
What a way to start our weekend adventures.
This hotel is nasty to say the least....I can forward pictures....Angry tenant...!!!

Room Tip: Never use an 800 number unless you know it is exclusively for the desired hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank 123karen123
Reviewed 30 May 2013

Room was so disgusting that I ended up calling the County Board of Health. Food stuck to walls, floor not cleaned, even though it was a smoking room, the smell wasn't just smoke. Were offered a can of air freshener. Avoid for the benefit of your health.

Room Tip: Choose another place to stay.
Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 May 2013

We had a coupon that brought the price down to fifty dollars so we weren't expecting a lot. And we got even less. The place was reasonably clean although the remote control wouldn't work. We found the battery on the floor under one of the beds which suggests that housekeeping hadn't vacuumed very well. I'm not a picky sleeper but one of my pillows was so hard that I couldn't use it. We came back from supper and entered through the "security door" on the north side of the building. It wouldn't close which pretty much ruined any security it might have offered.
The worst surprise came in the morning when I got in the shower and had tepid water (at best) It wasn't so cold that I couldn't stand it but it was definitely not even warm, let alone hot. When I called the front desk, the clerk told me that "there are forty rooms in the hotel and we're nearly full. We only have two hot water heaters so that's all you're going to get." Thanks a lot.
The "breakfast" was some white bread, a couple of packaged muffins and the infamous waffle maker. We decided we would rather pay for something edible down the road. Next time we'll move on down the road.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family