“Don't make the mistake to stay here!”
Review of Relax Inn

Relax Inn
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Lancaster
Zanesville, Ohio
“Don't make the mistake to stay here!”
Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

I had to work out of town and I was driving by and spotted the Relax Inn. It didn't look so bad from the outside plus it was right off Memorial Drive, which is near the mall (don't let the location fool you). It was $50 plus tax for the night. I didn't have high expectations (ex: swimming pool, Internet, etc) for a hotel that was this cheap per night. Simply be clean. My (non smoking) room was located in the back facing Memorial Drive near a dumpster. I thought it was a little creepy since I was the only one on this side, but I figured I was being over dramatic. I walked inside and instantly smelled a gross odor. I don't know how to describe it. I noticed the plastic AC cover on the floor so I pick it up and put it back on. It was no big deal to me. I look over at the bed and the headboard is literally falling off the wall and the bed wasn't even fully made. So I walk over to that area, and there's a half eaten snickers bar and other pieces of food behind the bed. The bathroom was also gross. You could see the dirt where the bathtub hasn't been cleaned in awhile. They also reuse the toilet paper roll from prior guests, which I find disgusting. Underneath the sink in the cabinet, it was nothing but dust and spots where the sink is leaking. The kitchen area was also disgusting. The cabinets were dusty and the kitchen floor had spots which looked like dried blood (which I don't know what it really was, but it wouldn't surprise me). The carpet had many stains and the walls had spots everywhere. If the room was properly cleaned, these spots wouldn't have been on the walls or the bathroom tile. You could tell they don't move stuff around to clean because you can see the thick dust near around furniture. I lasted maybe 5 minutes in this room before I left to get a refund. It was the dirtiest hotel room that I've ever been to. Some of the people I seen around the hotel looked shady. I went into the lobby to get my money back and the clerk was surprised I would want to leave. He replied "why you not want to stay here?". I was polite and just said I'd like to stay somewhere else, this just isn't what I expected. I told him about the headboard and what not. He insisted I check out a "nicer room" which was right across the from the lobby. I told him I wasn't interested, but he handed me a key anyways. So I walked over to the room just to appease him. This room was just as dirty as the other room. I walked back into the lobby and said I still want my money back. After trying to get me to look at yet another room, he hesitantly went back to give me my money back. As I was leaving, the cops was pulling in. I spent a extra $30 and stayed at the Baymont Inn. This hotel was not even worth the $50 or the 1 star rating. I would sleep in my car before I would ever even consider coming back to this place! Everything was dirty and out dated. I should've read some reviews first, then I would've never been in this situation! This place is as bad as the reviews say it is!

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
12 Thank ss113907

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Weeki Wachee, Florida
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Get out and dont get near it. It is filthy, out dated and evidence of bugs.We stayed here a few yr ago but since our relatives who live in Lancaster told us it was a well known for drug activity and had some Meth labs and purse thieves busted there, we opted to stay at the Holiday Express. We peaked at one room since the door was was open in the cold,, no idea why, not sure I want to know why either. We thought maybe it had been cleaned up and under new management but I took one look and thought otherwise. This hotel would be my choice if it were this or under a bridge but that is the only way I would stay there.

Room Tip: close to the mall but dont be fooled.. run!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lisa B

Travellers are raving about these Lancaster hotels

Utica, Michigan
Reviewed 15 February 2013

I usually do not write reviews, but I feel the need to share my experience to save you a hassle. I called the hotel to book 2 nights- My daughter is getting married and we had some planning to do. She lives in VA and I live in Michigan, Lancaster is a great 1/2 way point for each of us.I got to the hotel first. Upon check in I shared my excitement with the desk clerk of the up coming wedding and asked her for the nicest room they had! Well lets just say.. if that was the nicest room every other guest is doomed! It was in the back of the hotel facing the freeway and next to a a giant trash dumpster ( I wasn't concerned about the trash- but I was concerned that someone could easily hide next to it) as i entered the room I saw what appeared to be blood stains on the front portion of the vanity counter that holds the sink. I turned around to head out the door and noticed that the door jam had been pieced back together and haphazardly nailed and painted. The wood was still splintered around the new deadbolt. It was obvious that someone had kicked that door in very recently! I went back to the office and requested a room in a safer/front area of the hotel. The lady gave me a new room. that's when my daughter and 4 year old grandson pulled up. We entered the room and noticed the trash cans were still full of garbage and the carpet was filthy (food crumbs every where!) We assumed that because we switched rooms maid service had not been in yet- My daughter poked her head out the door and saw the maid service cleaning cart 3 rooms down. We decided to go get a bite to eat and start our shopping! We returned to the room later that night with a tired & cranky 4 year old- The room had not been touched! I called the front desk and she said maid service was not available this late. We decided to put up with it for 1 night. When my daughter was putting the baby to bed she became upset- The pillow was a bloody mess! She tossed it to the floor and we all very reluctantly tried to sleep. We made the most of the next day- Got up early to do some more shopping. When we came back to the room later that night to freshen up and change for dinner- The pillow case was removed from bloody pillow and tossed back onto the bed ( no new pillow case- just a naked pillow) trash was still over flowing. crumbs still covering the floor, and the 2 towels that we used were still on the floor ( the room only came with 2 towels and there were 3 people) I called the front desk- the clerk informed me that we don't "git" maid service because are considered "stay over guests" whatever that means? I begged her for a new room or at least clean linens and some cleaning disinfectant of some kind and I will clean the room myself! she said she had to call the owner to see what could be done, give her 10 minutes and she will call me right back. after 1 hour I went into the office and there was a shift change, the first girl i spoke to left! This "new" clerk told me the owner left a message for me- NO to a new room- NO to using their cleaning supplies- No refunds! We left and went to the Baymont Inn- I put a dispute charge on my credit card to get at least one night back- Credit card said, in the case of a hotel dispute i need to take it to the hotel directly- they can not intervene. I didn't even bother because they are not corporately owned! advice to owner- Do us all a favor and burn your place to the ground! on a positive note... The Baymont Inn was outstanding!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Dekey12
Reviewed 13 October 2012 via mobile

Maid service very spotty. They might clean your room and might not. Rooms need painted (paint doesn't cost that much guys)....looker like it hadn't been painted in years. Maids might want to look at the walls in the bathroom cause there are boogers stuck to the walls....yuck. last thing there needs to be some sort of light by the beds. Other than that it was quiet and they have lots of channels to watch on the tv. The beds were comfy too.

• Stayed October 2012
Hilliard, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 15 September 2012

We called for a room close to our campsite we were headed to in the morning! The hotel staff was not that polite and didnt even know the rates when I called in. When I got there the towels were not clean and the fridge and microwave were just in a pile on the floor. The top lock was not even on the door, since they gave themselves permission to come in your room whenever they feel neccesarry. Had to call the squad at 4 am because my girlfriend had bites all over her and was having an allergic reaction! We go back to the room only to find a bed bug in the bathroom sink! We took the bug up to the front desk and even though he was "shocked" (which I don't see how after reading all the reviews about bed bugs now) insisted that we stay until check out. When we declined and demanded our money back, with out proof of the emergency call -.-, he gave us half of the rental back. DO NOTT stay here!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Megan M
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 10 September 2012

Bed bugs and roaches. We had change rooms 3 times because of the lack of cleanliness. We have traveled around the world and have NEVER seen a hotel like this. Do NOT stay here!!! We got stuck here due to last minute travel plans.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Jenjer97
Ohio
Reviewed 18 August 2012

It's called the "Relapse Inn" by locals for a reason. Not a nice place to stay in at all. It's a place for junkies and hard partiers. Definitely don't being your kids to this place.
If you are in the Lancaster area, stay at Shaw's, a historic bed and breakfast, or in one of the nicer chain hotels near the mall.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank scrufffles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lancaster
Baymont Inn & Suites Lancaster
Hampton Inn Lancaster
Hampton Inn Lancaster
#1 of 5 in Lancaster
Holiday Inn Express Lancaster
Baymont Inn & Suites Logan
Holiday Inn Express Logan
Best Western Canal Winchester Inn - Columbus South East
Best Western Canal Winchester In...
#1 of 1 in Canal Winchester

Been to Relax Inn? Share your experiences!