“A nice trip back in time!!”

The Golden Lamb Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Lebanon B&B and Inns
Cleveland, Ohio
“A nice trip back in time!!”
Reviewed 2 January 2013

I stayed here in February of 2012. I booked my room over the phone and had no issues with booking. I called to confirm a few days before to make sure everything was set to go and it was. Upon arrival, I was checked in promptly and was able to haul my luggage to my room. Only downside with everything is there are no elevators, only stairs so try and pack light! My room just happened to be at the very top floor!! What a workout that was but I surely needed it! I loved the fact that the other rooms that weren't rented were open and roped off for viewing. The room was perfect. Everything was amazing during my trip. The only reason I didn't give the location 4 stars was that I thought the continental breakfast should've had at least oatmeal or a warm item for what you're paying for for the room. Other than that, It was amazing!! I can't wait to stay again!

Room Tip: I stayed in the Ronald Reagan room. It has a beautiful large headboard and a little bigger bathroom...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 19 November 2012

My partner and I have been coming here for 20 years to celebrate our anniversary, Over the last few years, we noticed a bit of a deterioration in the maintenance and quality of service, but this year, things seemed to be back on track. Our room (Harriet Beecher Stowe) was ready when we arrived and was well=-cleaned. All of the staff were friendly throughout the trip, especially the waiter that we had in the restaurant for dinner. He suggested certain items which he thought were especially popular. I had the Shepherd's Pie, and it was wonderful! They've cut back on some of the "extras" that you used to get (e.g., relish plate, basket full of crackers), but overall, the food was delicious. A free continental breaksfast in the morning has been replaced by an a la carte menu--a bit pricey, but good.

Don't expect the conveniences of a Hilton or Embassy Suites. But that's what gives the place its charm! And enjoy the historic downtown and the antique shops while you're there.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David50226
Fostoria, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 8 November 2012

The Inn was interesting, creaky, uneven floors were expected and added to it's charm. The food was delicious, though the bar bill seemed stiff. What takes away from it's delight is it's staff. This was the most unfriendly group of people I have ever encountered in the hospitality industry ever. The desk clerk was nice, but housekeeping (room wasn't all that clean) and wait staff in the dining room and tavern...were either rude, overwhelmed or lacked personality all together.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lis B
Trenton, Ohio
Reviewed 22 October 2012

Stayed here during a girls night and we had a blast. We had heard the place was haunted wich is what attracted us here in the first place. The hotel is old and worn but the room was very clean and the beds were very comfy. They also leave all of the other un reserved rooms open for viewing which was very cool. The staff was friendly and we had a free continental breakfast the next morning which was nice. The area is filled with tons of little unique shops to explore.

Room Tip: All of the rooms were very clean and filled with antique furniture. There is no elevator and there a...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Plymouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed 15 October 2012

Made reservations to stay at the Golden Lamb Inn approximately 8 months ago. Also made reservations to eat in their formal dinning room. Made the staff aware at that time that it was a surprise for my wife to celebrate our 29th wedding anniversary and requested bottle of champagne also be in room when we arrived.
Approximately 3-4 days before date of our arrival(Saturday, October 13th) I received call from inn staff informing me that they had been told that Mitt Romney was coming to Lebanon Saturday for a campaign rally to be held in the center of town. They requested I arrive as early as possible as the town was being preped and streets were going to be shut down. I asked where I should go to park and they stated that I was told to park in the rear parking lot for the inn. I received two additional calls from the inn telling me the same thing. Each time I asked where I should park and each time I was told to park in the inn lot behind the inn and that inn staff would be present to assist me.
We arrived at the parking lot at approximately 1:30pm to find the lot blocked off, Police officers and Secret Service personnel present, no inn staff anywhere to be found. After speaking with Police Officer we parked across the street in the Library parking lot and lugged our bags across the street to the Inn. Upon entering hotel we discovered that the Inn was being used as a staging area for the rally. Bar temporarily closed, restaurant temporarily closed. Secret Service personnel, police, campaign personnel all over hotel. After checking in we returned to the lobby and asked the front desk if we could relax in the lobby with a cocktail, we were told no. We left hotel and walked around for a while. We returned to hotel and up to our room where we decided to put signs in the windows of our room that read "OBAMA/BIDEN 2012. 15 minutes later we heard a knock on our door, man stated he was manager of hotel, then proceeded to use his pass key to enter our room! The fact that I was in my underwear and a shirt did not seem to bother him in the least! He demanded the signs be removed, asked if he could remove them, I said yes and he did so. I then became irrate and informed him that his actions were totally uncalled for, a phone call would have worked just as well, it was our 29th wedding anniversary and we had been treated like 2nd class citizens since our arrival. I then told him to leave my rooom which he did.
At 7:15pm we reported to the dining room for our anniversary dinner reservation. After being shown to our table, upon reviewing the menu it was discovered that the regular dinner menu had been replaced with a banquet menu of Prime Rib, Fried Chicken, Roast Turkey, Hamburger, and a Salmon Po-Boy sandwich. I asked the waiter where the regular menu was and he replied that, due to the crowd, it was decided to substitute a small, easy to cook menu for Saturday only. I informed the waiter that it was our wedding anniversary and I did not drive 3 hours for food I could order at Bob Evans. He stated he would speak with the chef to see if he could do something special for us. Waiter came back 5 minutes later and stated chef said no, nothing he was willing to do for us. At that point my wife and I had enough, returned to our room, packed our bags, returned to front desk, made arrangements to have my credit card credited for the nights stay, filed my formal complaint with the night manager Tim Price and left the Inn for the 3 hour drive back home to Shelby Ohio.
Room itself was very nice with exception of bathroom that was dirty and did not look like it had been cleaned for a while. Also, no champagne in room upon arrival as well.
Moral of this story is: If you make a reservation with the Golden Lamb, make sure you ask what exactly will be open and what will not, if there is any special event being held in town, if The Golden Lamb is involved with any event, and is the regular menu being offered the night of your stay.
My biggest complaint is that the staff of The Golden Lamb totally misrepresented the status of the Inn to me. At no time was I told that the bar would be closed, the restaurant closed, the Inn was being used as Headquarters for the rally, the parking lot was not available and other areas designated for guest parking, the restaurant menu for dinner had been replaced with a shorter menu. Had these items been made aware to me I would definitely canceled my reservations and attempted to make other arrangements.
Finally, I find the actions of the gentleman who entered my room before I could answer the door myself and put pants on COMPLETLEY INEXCUSABLE! The fact that The Golden Lamb employs personnel that find this acceptable should be warning enough should one stay here in the future. It happened to me, it could happen to you too if you stay here.

Room Tip: Make sure you follow up on your reservations repeatedly after you make them. And dont create any ki...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Bill B
Plymouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed 15 October 2012

We had the misfortune of attempting a stay at the Golden Lamb on October 13. This was also the day of a last minute Republican Presidential rally. They notified us that there would be a rally in town that day and that we should arrive early for parking and check in purposes. Never did they mention that the rally was being staged from the hotel. After driving 3 hours to the Inn, we were informed by both the Lebanon police (nicest person the whole weekend was Officer Garrison) and the Secret Service that we could not use the lot for the hotel. Nowhere was there a hotel employee to help us find alternate parking. Thanks to Officer Garrison - we found parking in a nearby library lot. But again, no employee to help with baggage. Checked in to the hotel (which was already mobbed with Secret Service and political merrymakers), no one helped us to our room until we wandered around for about 10 minutes.

The room itself was lovely - The Charles Dickens Room - with the exception of the tattered, dated and dirty bathroom (needs paint badly). After being trapped in the room during the Rally (for which we had NO interest) because EVERYTHING in the hotel was shut down, as was virtually anything of interest in the town was closed too, the room lost a lot of its charm. But we stayed based on the excitement of trying the acclaimed restaurant and its wonderful menu. They seated us, gave us the menu - which was a "special" limited menu for the evening due to the volume of diners expected. The chef declined doing anything that was not on the menu. Again - no early notification of this. At this point - we surrendered to the obvious - and left the hotel. I am so sorry to have had this experience because I had so looked so forward to this trip.

Had they just taken the extra step to tell us about the event more truthfully and to tell us of the limitations - prior to our three hour drive, we would have happily rescheduled for another time and made alternate plans for our special anniversary. But they did not. So sad. We really looked forward to this.

I am grateful to two groups, the Lebanon Police and the Secret Service for being concerned, apologetic and really really nice.

Room Tip: Really - the Charles Dickens room would have been good at any other time....
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank ShelbyOH
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 23 September 2012

I love this hotel and have stayed there a number of times. This recent visit found the hotel with wireless and a new chef. The rooms are all named after famous people who stayed at the inn in the last 200 years. We stayed in the James A. Garfield room this time. All the rooms are decorated in period antiques - it is so lovely and if the rooms are not occupied the doors are open with a rope draped across so you can look in and see the different famous people's rooms. The top floor has several museum like rooms with information about the early Shaker period.
I would say this visit was the best we've had because there is a new energy there and a fantastic new chef. Dinner and breakfast were outstanding. I love this inn.

Room Tip: Go online to see the rooms before you make your selection. Note that there is no elevator and one mu...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lebanon
Best Western Mason Inn
Hampton Inn Middletown
Hampton Inn Middletown
#1 of 5 in Middletown
Drury Inn & Suites Middletown Franklin
Hampton Inn & Suites Cincinnati-Mason
Hampton Inn Cincinnati - Kings Island
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Mason/Kings Island

Been to The Golden Lamb Inn? Share your experiences!