“Would have been perfection without the hot loft”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Chalets in Hocking Hills
Ranked #1 of 29 Speciality Lodging in Logan
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Four of us stayed in one of Old Man's Cave Chalets A-frames during our four day trip. The A-frames are all very very close together, however, the back porches are nicely covered and they look out into the forest so the proximity caused no problems at all. The whole cabin was very clean including the wonderful hot tub. The cabin had everything we could want, nice small kitchen area with a refrigerator that kept everything very cold, flat screen tv and working cable, small dining area, beautiful fireplace, very spacious bathroom, comfortable and clean beds.

The only big negative to the cabin was the heat in the loft bedroom. It was very hot outside during our stay and despite the air conditioning working perfectly downstairs the upstairs bedroom vent was not blowing any cool air and the cabin had no ceiling fan. The bedroom was very very hot and neither me or my companion were able to sleep up there. After a day of hiking in 90 degree heat the last thing we wanted was to sweat and try and sleep without covers in a overly hot bedroom. We tried setting the air on high and covering all other vents except for the lofts but it made no difference and the vent still did not blow cool air. Our last resort was to make a bed downstairs. Since we are in our twenties and quite easy to please making a bed on the floor was not a problem but a ceiling fan would made such an extreme difference and it would have ensured another stay from our family for sure.

The location of the A-frames and chalets office is in a perfect location, it is located very close to all of the main attractions in the Hocking Hills area. I would not have been able to pick a better place. There is a community pool which is large and nicely kept. Everyone in the office was very helpful and answered any questions we had. We really enjoyed reading the cabin guest book.
Minus the small heated loft setback we loved our stay! If that was resolved we would love to return.

Room Tip: A-frames are close together but nice, clean and have covered back porches. They are in a great locat...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Snuffles379

Reviewed 19 June 2012

We went to Hocking Hills on a Hiking trip to celebrate my Big 30th with my husband. We stayed at Old Man's Cave Chalet for 2 nights in one of their amazing "A Frame" cabins! All I can say is WOW! The place is so clean and the ambiance is just so wonderful! Everything in it works perfectly. It has 2 bedrooms and a bathroom. A fireplace. A kitchenette that is so functional and has "everything" that you will need to make a meal! Plates, coffee cups, glasses, pots and pans! Even can openner, chopping board, dish towels and dish soap! I cooked breakfast and we used the charcoal griller on our first night to grill some salmon and sausage for dinner! The hot tub is amazing!(I have to say though that the temperature could be warmer... Our tub only went up to 90deg hot) but it's no deal breaker at all. The customer service was phenomenal! You can even rent free DVD movies from them but the TV does come with cable :) You can buy firewood for like $5 from them. This place is conveniently located very closely to Old Man's cave, cedar falls and ash cave! I am definitely staying at this place again! You guys will absolutely love it!

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jenvigne18
OldMansCaveChalets, Guest Relations Manager at Chalets in Hocking Hills, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. We appreciate your kind words and hope to see you here again in the future.

Reviewed 25 March 2012

We had made complaints on saturday evening and Sunday morning upon check out. It took 3 days to get a response back from Darlene Fitgerald the customer service manager which she was a joke. Very unprofessional and rude. I have never been talked to treated in the manner in which Darlene talked to myself and Erica on multiple conversations. She had made excuses for every complaint we had and she would not shut her mouth for one second so I could explain why I was so upset. I told her I was going to make a complaint with the B.B.B and she said " really and what are they going to do for you" Just to let everyone know we had dirty water in hot tub with two rusted bobby pins, no washer and dryer that was in the cabin last year and stated online upon reservation and we were told to drive 7 miles in town to wash clothes. Also we found a hair that we thought was a pubic hair in the bed sheets and Darlene said "that you would have to be a scientist to tell a pubic hair from any other hair so she was disregarding that complaint as well. ( as if we just made it up because we were bored or something) At no time did she or old man cave chalets make themselves accountable for there short comings and rude behavior by Darlene the customer service manager. Worst service I have ever gotten and if you get the opportunity to deal with her you will see what I mean. Very unfortunate she is that way and that I have to take the time out of my busy day to make this complaint.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
14  Thank brent c
Reviewed 26 February 2012

This is our second stay here. My husband and I loved the first stay and planned to come twice a year. We went and stayed in an A Frame chalet, a Pet Friendly cabin so we could bring our 11 year old greyhound, as we have in years past. I saved money and vacation time for six months to take this trip, kennelled our other dog, and made dinner reservations nearby. I was really excited.

Checkin is around 5. We didn't get in the hot tub until dark the first night. It felt a little slimy but it was dark and last time it was super clean. Next morning we woke up and awaited the morning visit from the maintenance man, as we knew from our last trip they come in the morning and we didn't want to be in the hot tub when he came. Watched him go next door, skipped our chalet. We decided to get in the hot tub (really our main reason for selecting this place over others) and WOW. Opened the lid and there was yellow crud and slime...I had a hot tub, and this is what it looked like if we went away for 2 weeks and didn't clean it. Totally cloudy water, and a coat of yellow slime. Makes me sick to think about.

We called and they told us the customer service woman was out until Tuesday of that week. They sent a maintenance guy up and he said it would not be until 10:30pm before we could use the hot tub again. Unacceptable when that's half of why we came there. So we asked for a refund for the second night. They refused, and offered instead that we move all our stuff to an "upgrade" cabin 10 miles away. The cabin slept 10 people and it was obviously not the romantic, well-lit chalet I booked because we had had so many memories spent there. Bigger is NOT better, though staff seemed baffled why just the two of us wouldn't want to move all our stuff in the middle of the day, miss our dinner reservations, and stay in a huge house when we booked a 2 person chalet. Anyhow, we were polite to them even though we were very disappointed and wanted a refund and to go home at this point.
Plus, I was disgusted. Their maintenance crew did not clean the hot tub before we arrived, apparently, and he didn't clean it the next morning either. Gross.

We requested customer service call us. I don't have more vacation time
for a while, but I would have been happy with a credit for another stay. No calls. My husband left 3 messages. No return call from their customer service. Finally we get her on the phone, and we have NEVER been treated so rude ever. She ACCUSED us of "putting our dog in the hot tub." A 90lb 11 year old Greyhound, terrified of water! I could not drag him into that hot tub if I tried for hours, and I am a professional...why would I ever do that to my dog? Besides, I have pictures of the hot tub -- it is not dirty from a dog, because it is coated in yellow SLIME which had been there for some time. If a dog did it, it was the dog that stayed there some time ago...not our dog. What is more likely? That their maintenance guy skipped the place twice, then made up an excuse about our dog to avoid trouble? Or her story? I think it's obvious.

In any case, she was rude and accusatory and insulting. We would have come back here year after year, and recommended this place for our respective work retreats, but for some reason, they have the WRONG person working in customer service. She hung up on my husband after yelling at him and stating "I HAVE to get out of this
conversation." And when I called back she behaved like a child and would not come to the phone. It is inexcusable to ignore messages for almost 2 weeks, and then hang up on a customer. I cannot recommend this place -- I am an honest person, have never complained about lodging in my whole life. Their maintenance people are dishonest -- they did not stop at our cabin (then awkwardly blamed it on our dog growling (???) on the porch when he was actually sitting next to me inside, also watching them skip our chalet from the window) to clean the hot tub -- not before we arrived, nor the next day.

I will never check in anywhere at dusk again. The customer service woman also said we should have inspected the hot tub the first night. It is outside, and it was dark...I didn't realize it was my responsibility to make sure there was no algae in it. And their "upgrade" was depressing and not an upgrade at all. Kinda like ordering a medium sweater and getting an XL and being told "it's bigger!" It isn't what I paid for. It's a bad business model to get into a personal and speculative accusation with a repeat customer when all we wanted was to come back for one free night when I saved up vacation time again. Oh well. There are better places in the area anyhow.

• Stayed: November 2011
22  Thank Muldoon1
Reviewed 28 October 2011

Spent three nights at Old Man's Cave Chalets in late October.
- It is 4 minute drive to Old Man's Cave in Hocking Hills State Park
- Stayed in the Chalets - simple A-frames, but perfect for a couple or small family. There is a bedroom with a queen bed, loft bedroom with a queen, small kitchen, bathroom with shower, eating area for 4, and a fireplace.
- The loft is the best room in the chalet - you have a view of the forest from the bed and can watch the fire reflected off the A-frame roof.
- The kitchen was small - two burner stove, 1/4 size refrigerator, coffe maker and microwave. Four place settings and some pots and pans provided. No stove. This requires some thought if you are not planning on eating out.
- The deck with hottub was good. The hot tub easily sat four people. Some hottubs are older than others, but seemed well maintained and clean even if not all the jets worked. There was also seating outside for 4. Be aware that in the Chalets you are only 15 feet from your neighbor. There are screens that provide privacy, but not much for noise. The cabins are more secluded.
- Fireplace was very nice - they sell firewood and starters at the office ($5/ bundle of wood).
- There was a small playground by the office, but no hiking trails directly at the site. There is ample room to walk dogs around the property.
- Beds were a bit soft - felt like I was always rolling to the middle.

Room Tip: Chalets 1 and 5 are more separated from the others
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank bmantravel
Reviewed 19 October 2011

Stayed for 3 nights at The Falls cabin. The cabin was very clean. Beds were comfortable and warm. We sat in the hot tub after dark, listening to the crickets and enjoying the privacy and quietness that you get with The Falls. We were extremely pleased with our stay and would recommend this cabin to others. The only thing you do need to know is that unless you are used to drinking well water, you should bring bottled water in.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 1njp1
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Pros: Very nice, new cabin. Comfortable bed. New looking hot tub. Whole property was very clean, new looking and comfortable.

Cons: No phone. Was a 15 minute drive to cell service for AT&T phones. Horribly smelly water.

One of the nicest places I have ever stayed and would easily get 5 stars, but for the cons listed above. But those are some serious cons. Knew there was no phone going into this, but thought it was because the cabin was too remote - which would have been ok, but there is another cabin (the outback) next door and a house maybe 50 yards away. Can't see either very well from the cabin, but the house clearly has phone service. Why not this cabin? The 15 minute drive is a pain when you need to make a quick call for reservations, check on the kids, etc.

The water situation (smell and pressure) wasn't good either. I apparently missed those reviews when booking this place, and if you're used to sulphur-smelling well water it won't be a big deal. We aren't. One of the draws of the cabin was the large 2 person shower. Seemed nice and romantic. Not so much when it seems rotten eggs are being dripped on you.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ccgalg
Also consider these accommodations in or near Logan
Holiday Inn Express Logan
Ohio University Inn & Conference Center
Hometown Inn
Hometown Inn
#7 of 10 in Athens

Been to Chalets in Hocking Hills? Share your experiences!