“Romantic Stay at the Chalets”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Old Man's Cave Chalets
Ranked #1 of 28 Speciality Lodging in Logan
Cleveland, Ohio
“Romantic Stay at the Chalets”
Reviewed 11 July 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed in the Nature Lover's cabin for a mini-vacation over the July 4th holiday weekend. We weren't sure what to expect as we hadn't been to the Hocking Hills region before and there were numerous cabins to choose from, but we were definitely pleased with our choice.

One of the first things we loved about our cabin was the location. Although there are a lot of seemingly-similar rental options (i.e. cabin with a hot tub) around the Hocking Hills region, it seems that the Chalets have one of the best locations. The Chalets are not only close to Old Man's Cave and other hiking areas, they are also set up in the hills; with a steep drive to get up to your individual cabin. Not sure how I'd feel about this in the winter, but when we stayed it was absolutely perfect. You're literally sleeping up in the trees with a beautiful view off the deck/from your private hot tub. It's extremely quiet and serene; although that may depending on your luck of the draw with neighbors :-) The property also includes a pool, which we did not get the chance to use.

The cabin itself was very clean and tastefully decorated. We did most of our cooking in the cabin and were pleasantly surprised with the amenities that were provided as far as dishes and cooking utensils. The floor plan was spacious for two of us and there were two bedrooms to choose from. I also loved being able to come back after a day of hiking and relax in our hot tub on our private deck suspended in the trees. All of the attention to detail added up to a very romantic place to stay.

The management at the front desk was extremely friendly and informative. They were more than willing to help with directions, restaurant recommendations, etc. I also appreciated that they stocked supplies like charcoal for our grill, so that we did not have to drive the 15 minutes back to Logan to pick it up.

Although we loved staying at the Chalets and would like to stay again if we're in the area, we did have one big complaint. The mattresses in the rooms = awful! As I said before, we had two bedrooms to choose from, but the mattresses on both beds need to be replaced (and I'm not very picky!). We spent the 3 nights switching back and forth between both beds and to our dismay, neither gave us a good night's sleep. The mattress in the loft had a large "valley" in the middle, so we were rolling into it all night. The mattress in the downstairs bedroom was just extremely stiff and uncomfortable and I woke up with a backache. On the final night, my boyfriend ended up stuffing pillows up underneath the valley of the one mattress to make it bearable. I hate to criticize because we really did love the Chalets, but I feel that if there's one thing a hotel should invest in, it's a mattress. All of the other amenities are great, but in the end you're at a hotel to sleep, so your bed should serve that purpose.

Room Tip: The Nature Lover's cabin is the same as the other a-frames, but more expensive. The a-frames are...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Katie F

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
cincinnati ohio
Reviewed 7 May 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Grand Butte cabin sleeps 20. First of all I have to say the cabin was spotless, so clean and well kept. Everything worked and was immaculate. We had so much fun Atv, zip lining. The staff was friendly and everything was correct and well priced.

Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 4 May 2013

We stayed in the Hemlock Cabin, which proved to be just the right size for one couple and one other person (though it could house up to three couples if necessary). It’s listed as a “romantic cabin” on the official website. Pets are not allowed.

Everything in the cabin was pretty, clean, and functional. The TV is 1080p, some of the best high definition around as of 2013. Everything in the kitchen and bathrooms worked well.

There was plenty of hot water in the bathrooms and kitchen, but be warned: the water around these parts kind of smells like sulfur. It doesn’t taste bad, but it’s smellier than my uncle, and that’s saying something.

I must point out, though, that there is no Wi-Fi or cell phone reception. The only place where you can access the Internet is at the main office. This was frustrating at first, but it was nice to have a break from the constant onslaught of Internet news and annoying phone calls. Be warned: don’t leave your cell on overnight to use it as an alarm clock. The batteries will run out fast as it searches for a satellite in vain all night. There is only one clock in the cabin, so bring your own alarm clocks.

The hot tub wasn’t too hot, but it was just fine for a ninny like me. Be sure to use the blue knobs to crank the bubble jet action up to eleven! And the Jacuzzi in the basement’s bathroom was incredibly relaxing. It’s big enough that you can lean back and submerge most of your body in the water. Also, it’s relaxing to sit out on the deck and look at the woods while appreciating the quiet stillness of the area. Oftentimes, you can’t even hear the hum of distant traffic. There’s a swinging bench on the deck if that tickles your fancy.

I should warn you about the basement, though. It contains two beds, each big enough for a couple, but it’s awfully cold unless you turn on the noisy heater. So be sure to dress warm if you can’t handle noise while you sleep. Plus, footsteps from upstairs echo down surprisingly loudly, so you might need earplugs if the people upstairs will wake up before you. An eye mask might help too since light starts to sneak in around six.

All the beds in the cabins are stiff, unfortunately. And as of April 2013, the cabins don’t recycle—what’s up with that? On the bright side, checking in and out is easy, and the main office even offers a variety of books and DVDs to enjoy.

Nothing is within walking distance (aside from a public pool and playground), but the Hocking Hills parks are just a few minutes away when driving. That’s very convenient. Plus, Wal-Mart and restaurants (like McDonald’s, Subway, and Bob Evan’s) aren’t too far. We enjoyed our stay and would recommend it to anyone seeking an escape from the busy world.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
small town, Indiana
Reviewed 27 January 2013

We stayed in the "Slopeside" cabin Sun-Weds. The setting was amazing. The chalet was more than we expected. We spent our days hiking at the state park and our nights in the hot tub. This is a very secluded setting. There was one other cabin 200 yards away, which stayed empty, other than that it was just us and the wilderness. My biggest issue was the level of chemicals in the hot tub. It tarnished all my silver jewelry which was my own fault for not removing them. Our skin itched all 3 days and my arms developed raised bump like sores. I understand that they must keep the bacteria under control however I think they needed to adjust the pH of this hot tub. We made them aware of this issue and they sent a technician out that day. It seemed that the problem wasn't corrected as the water continued to dry us out and make us itch. I am not sure if it was due to the water problem or if it was unrelated but the sheets on both beds were really dry and itchy. A touch of fabric softener would help tremendously! Overall we loved this place. We used the basket on top of the fridge to transport our drinks and snacks out to the hot tub which is about 10 steps away. Bring your own spirits because the mom and pop shops on the way are limited and very expensive. Next winter we are packing a small humidifier. Bring a music source to plug in on the porch for "hot tub time". There are no neighbors to complain and the deer here love slow jams.

Room Tip: Our chalet had a private stream and a very beautiful setting located in the heart of the valley. The...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kickasskatie
OldMansCaveChalets, Manager at Old Man's Cave Chalets, responded to this review, 26 February 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review based on your stay in the Slopeside Cabin. I am sorry that we did not get the chemical levels satisfactory for your skin type but I passed your comments onto our Maintenance Manager. And also, to the housekeeping manager with regard to the bedding. I am glad you enjoyed the cabin and we look forward to having you as our guest again in the near future, and please don't hesitate to contact us if we can make your future stays more pleasant.

Darlene Fitzgerald
Customer Service Manager
Springfield, Ohio
Reviewed 9 December 2012

We rented The Barn cabin this weekend for our wedding with just immediate family. I had never been to Hocking Hills before but heard so many great things about how beautiful it was so we thought it would be great for our December wedding. Call me crazy but based on reviews, I booked the cabin sight unseen for our wedding. One tip: Do NOT try to find this cabin in the evening. It was dark, late, raining and we got lost and had to turn around a few times. In the daytime is actually quite simple once you can see what you're doing. But if you decide to stay here, definitely get there in daylight for your arrival. We pulled up to the cabin and I have to admit, initially on the outside we looked at each other like, oh man, what did we get outselves into, however when you walk in the cabin is just great. So pretty. We loved it and all of our guests raved at how nice it was. When we woke up from our first night, we walked out and WOW what a view. The Barn sits on top of a big hill and you look down upon a vast forest and hills. It's stunning. We can't imagine the beauty in the fall time. We also loved that it literally was drop dead quiet. We would just stand outside, listen to the hawk's and the silence. Very peaceful and serene. The cabin has 1 Master Bedroom on the 1st floor with a full bathroom and upstairs was 1 bedroom with 2 bunkbeds (slept 4) and another Queen bedroom with a full bath upstairs and a foosball table in the loft area. Overall the cabin sleeps 8 and could sleep 9 if someone slept on the couch. Has a gas fireplace which was nice and really cranked out the heat. We are thrilled that we got married here because we can always come back to this to cabin to celebrate. The only thing that was missing was that there were no trashbags and we had a ton of trash. But that is minor because we were completely satisfied with everything else, would highly recommend this to anyone and plan on staying here for years to come.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank cellgirl99
Reviewed 5 November 2012 via mobile

My husband and I needed a weekend getaway, and we were pleased to find an available cabin with OMCC as every other time I've looked, they have been booked solid. We live in Columbus so the drive is not too long. Upon arrival, we thought that the check in office was very nice. Had a little bit of trouble finding our cabin, as it was dark and the cabin was a few miles away. Luckily we have a Land Rover because the gravel driveway was STEEP!

The cabin was nice. My husband and I noticed that things were done cheaply, as the cabin was only half logs and the top was formed plywood. The beds were alright, appliances the same. Everything was very clean, and we loved the fireplace.

My only complaint is that I feel it is a bit too expensive for what you get. It looks nice, but if you look a little closer you can tell that they did things quite cheaply (in order to maximize profits I'm sure).

I have to give it to them though, they have a great business model and are probably making an enormous amount of money!

Oh, and the hot tub was nice, we only got in it once, and I appreciated being able to change the temp setting as I am pregnant and can't have it that hot.

Also, people complain about the sulfur treated water...out in the country well water is usually what you get! If you want chlorine treated tap water then don't stay in a cabin cut into the side of a mountain.

Overall, pretty satisfied, but I think we will be trying a different company next time we stay, to try and find something that gives you more for your money.

• Stayed November 2012
Ohio
Reviewed 22 October 2012

We have made the trip to the Hocking Hills area for 4 years now and have stayed in a variety of enjoyable (and not so...) cabins. I can highly recommend the Turkey Run cabin and the office staff at Old Man's Cave Chalets. I know there are some reviews here that represent dissatisfaction, but we are on the opposite end, enjoying our stay and our cabin greatly, and having received some very nice treatment in an emergency from the staff.

First of all, for 2 couples and a small child, the Turkey Run cabin is great. Each couple had a king bed in a separate bedroom and the little one slept on a portable mattress in his parents' room. There is also a double bed (maybe it's a queen?) in the loft in case you have 6 adults, or a teenager or someone who might like to move to another bed during the night due to snoring, restlessness, etc. There are two nice, clean bathrooms and shower/tubs.

We did not use the hottub, but like the cabin, it appeared to be clean and well cared for. Nice porch with table and chairs, plus a swing. The cabin has a fully equipped kitchen, including a dishwasher, and comfy furniture to watch the flatscreen TV above the fireplace. We had everything we needed, and then some...although one more lamp in the living room would be nice for better reading. There is also a game room downstairs with a pool table and air hockey game - well cared for but it was chilly downstairs and we just didn't have anyone of the right age to be interested this time.

The location of this cabin is about 6 miles from Old Man's Cave, which means that Ash Cave and Cedar Falls are close, too. Nothing is all that far away, including the town of Logan, in case you need to make an emergency run to the urgent care facility there...which, unfortunately, we did, due to a fall outside the cabin. Because we were there several hours and returned home very late in the wee hours, the office personnel allowed us extra time before check out, which we greatly appreciated. They showed much concern for us and were very, very nice.

I would suggest bringing bottled water for cooking, drinking, and teeth-brushing -- and maybe a favorite scented candle. The water in this cabin is a bit sulphur-smelling, as are many cabins in this rural area. You do notice a smell - not overpowering - when you first come in, but then you don't notice it much after that and that's the reason for the candle. We used the bottled water for coffee, hot chocolate, other cooking, and to brush our teeth, to avoid the sulphur taste of the water.

Of the cabins we've rented, this is definitely our favorite and we hope to stay there again the next time we visit.. but with no emergencies next time!

Room Tip: Pay attention to the size of the beds that are included with the cabin and where they are located. D...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank cruiser44Ohio
Also consider these accommodations in or near Logan
Holiday Inn Express Logan
Baymont Inn & Suites Logan
Hampton Inn Lancaster
Hampton Inn Lancaster
#1 of 5 in Lancaster
Ohio University Inn & Conference Center
Baymont Inn & Suites Athens
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Athens

Been to Old Man's Cave Chalets? Share your experiences!