“Rocky View Lodge”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Hocking Hills Serenity Cabins
Ranked #16 of 30 Speciality Lodging in Logan
Reviewed 28 May 2013

My husband and I stayed with 9 other friends plus kids in this house for memorial day weekend. It is true to driveway is steep, so be careful, but I would like to give a fair and honest review of the cabin itself. First of all, after reading the reviews on this site I had very low expectations of what we would find (my friend is the one who booked it). My first impression when we walked in the door was: Wow! The floors, walls and ceiling are made of nice shiny clean looking wood...secondly I thought that it was incredibly clean and the space was nice and big and open for our large group. There is plenty of seating for all of us to sit down to dinner together. The bed that my husband and I slept in was very comfortable and clean. The bathrooms were clean and I found no issue with water pressure at all. There were plenty of dishes and cookware available and and my husband and some other friends enjoyed the hot tub a couple of the nights and said that it was nice and hot and seamed to be clean as well. We didn't get the chance to have a fire in the fire pit, but I saw it and it looked like a nice little area. There were plenty of plastic deck chairs (though they were stacked and would probably have to wiped off a bit if we used them). We only used the T.V. to play dvds for the kids, but it worked just fine. Overall I was impressed with the place and thought it worked perfectly for our large group to sleep comfortably, play games, and make meals and eat them together. We spent most of the daytime going on nearby hikes at the different parks which were ALL AMAZING (though some a bit dangerous--stay on the path!) Here are some small things that I will point out that would make the stay at this cabin better: 1. There are no screens in the windows! We happened to be there during a stretch of nice cool weather, but were unable to open the windows to enjoy the breeze and the cabin became hot and stuffy with all of us in it (if we were to open them, bugs and moths would fly in like crazy!) I suggest the owner please install screens--we would not have turned on the AC if we could have opened the windows which would save lots of money...
2. There was toilet paper and kitchen towels, but not enough to last us the 4 days we stayed, I would suggest bringing some of your own, or else the owners need to supply a bit more of these two things.
3. It is true that the handle and two knobs are broken off of the microwave and stove, we were still able to use them, but it would be nice if those things could be repaired for the convenience factor--plus it just didn't match up with how nice the cabin was.
4. We were not fans of the 2 leather couches in the living room area. The cushions would slip forward every time you sat on them and you would sink into the hole--this was just uncomforable for seating purposes (we all fought over the tow couches that were not made of leather :)!
5. As for the wasps/hornets. There was one large hornet in the cabin in the whole 4 days that we were there and that is all. Now, we happened to be there during 60-70 degree weather, so I don't know if it would have been worse if it was hot out--I counted at least 12 wasp nests in different stages of development under the edges of the roof of the walk-around porch, but being in the woods I would expect they would try to build nests like that under shelter...We did spray and knock down a couple that were by the door for safety for the kids, but those things build fast--I would not be surprised if the owners knocked down a bunch of nests last week and all the ones we saw were new ones! I would just caution that there were a lot of nests, so hopefully the owners will continually spray and knock them down because I imagine in hot weather they are more active and this might explain the other reviews where hornets were in the house!
Overall: if you have a large group and want to be nearby Hocking Hills hiking trails, I would recommend this place taking into account the things I said above. :)

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank fairygirl6

Reviewed 25 May 2013

Cabin was nice, if you dont mind cockroaches. We had unpacked our things, turned the heat on and started to relax when my wife noticed a "dead" cockroach by the heater, then found 2 more. I threw them in the fireplace in a napkin thinking they were dead but they started moving. Now we made sure they were not wood roaches, which are very common. So disgusted, we packed up our things and drove into town to get cell phone service. Multiple calls and voicemail go unanswered. So we drive to the "business address" which is the owners house 20 some miles away. An older lady answered the door tried to assure us they were wood roaches, and her "husband takes care of that stuff, he will be home around 6" That was 4pm. 7pm rolls around and multiple calls still unanswered. My wife was so disgusted we ended up staying at the Holiday Inn. Emailed the guy and have called him again since this and have heard no response. We were obviously not going to stay in a place that had cockroaches living in the heater. Bad part is i payed for 2 nights and was inside a total of 30 minutes.

We dod turn the water on and it smelled horrible, but the rest of the cabin seemed nice....

Glad to know once they get your money they could care less. What if i was calling to say oh hey we lost our cabin key? or hey the cabin caught on fire? Bunch of morons. Really would like to hear a response from the owners. I know in the fall we are going back down to the Hocking hills area and sure as hell not staying in any of these cabins. Do i seriously have to come knock on your door again to get a response? We would have been satisfied with first of all an answer to our phone calls, and either placing us in a different cabin or even a partial refund. Going to contact my credit card company to see if they can help me get my money back.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Dave w
Reviewed 18 May 2013

A group of ten of us stayed at the Rocky View lodge in April, 2013. This is the third cabin in the region that we've stayed in, and so far it has been the worst experience.

The driveway was a bit steep which may lead to problems getting up to the cabin in the winter. There was a broken window on the first floor that was obviously broken for a while, as the owner left a note on the window stating that it was broken and to be careful -- and there were several responses from former guests stating things like "no kidding."

In the kitchen, the microwave door was broken off so using the microwave was a little challenging. There were plenty of dishes, though it seemed like former guests didn't seem to do a good job of cleaning them, nor did the owners between rentals. We found several pans that we needed to scrub old food off of before we could use them.

The previous comments about the water was no exaggeration. Anything involving boiling water on the stove made the kitchen area smell of sulfur; showers were even worse -- the smell overpowered everything so while you may be clean, it sure didn't smell like it!

The cabin has a charcoal grill, but it's seen better days -- it was very rusty and is probably due to be replaced. It seemed to do the job for us while we were there, though.

I'm not sure if this is done between every rental, but there was a note in the little "welcome book" stating that the hot tub was drained and refilled before we arrived (and guess what it smelled like?) Despite turning up the temperature, it wasn't real hot our first night, and didn't really feel much warmer the second night. Only a couple of us used the hot tub because of this.

There was a decent fire pit behind the cabin and up the hill a little way. We were excited for this, as well as the "rock formations and mini caves throughout the woods" that their web site advertised, but just past the fire pit area there were no less than 20 signs informing you that private property was just behind them and there was no trespassing allowed.

Anyone familiar with the region knows that there's plenty of activities and places to hike all around, and the cabin was only a few miles away from Conkle's Hollow and Old Man's Cave, so that was definitely a plus. In the evening, however, when you get back to the cabin, there's really not a whole lot to do.

The cabin had a 37-40" HDTV hooked up to a DVD player, but unlike most other cabins in the area, they lack DirecTV. Unless you bring DVD's, the TV is useless. If you do, the way the TV is positioned (behind one of the couches), half of the guests can't really watch it.

We won't consider any of these properties for our next visit. We were a little iffy after reading the previous reviews but wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt, but there were just too many things that were wrong. Hopefully the owner reads these reviews and can make the necessary changes, because the cabin would be excellent with a little bit of TLC.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Neekap_1
Reviewed 28 April 2013

This cabin could be such a great place but lack of caring by owners ensured we wont be back. While the structure itself is great, the small things make for not returning. First,being from the country, we are used to stumbling on some water that isn't perfect but, the water in the cabin smells so bad it stinks the whole place up by simply turning on the faucet. Not exaggerating. Attempted a shower but, the shower head is so clogged from the sulfur, there was no pressure. That, coupled with the smell, made for no showers for anyone. We had to buy water for coffee, brushing teeth and drinking. Something you may do when you camp in tents, not pay a couple hundred a night.

The furniture and beds were not great either. Living room furniture was dingy and smelled like smoke. The mattresses were thrift store purchases at best.

While not a huge deal, the driveway is pretty rough. So, if there is a chance of rain and you're driving a car, good luck.

Really a shame.This is a great location, secluded, and a beautiful cabin. If the owners would simply improve a few minor details this could have been so great. Like mentioned, you don't expect perfection when coming to a cabin but, at $200 a night, this place should be much better.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Traveler26er
Reviewed 3 January 2013

Overall I would recommend this lodge again, however there are a few things that visitors should realize. It is stated on the website there is no TV reception, which was a problem for our stay since we could not watch the ball drop on New Years Eve, also there was no internet/cell phone reception which was inconvenient. WIth that being said it is a cabin in the woods.

The cabin was conveniently located near Old Man's Cave and the cabin itself was amazing. Beds were comfortable and there were plenty of extra sheet and towels. The hot tub was also a great perk, and yes the water does smell somewhat like sulfur but that is expected from the area of Ohio it is located.

I would recommend this lodge for any group of friends looking to have a fun and relaxing time. Plenty to do (fire pit, hot tub, pool table, hiking, great sound system with aux cord to hook a phone/laptop up to, even pong tables and extra pong balls)

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rob K
Reviewed 31 December 2012

Our family (5 adults/2 children) stayed at the Leaning Tree cabin this past weekend to celebrate the holiday together. The cabin itself is beautifully built in a pretty setting. Unfortunately, the lower level has never been finished, so living space is limited. The furnishings are quite worn. A rug or something in the living room would definitely help to make it more comfortable and less noisy. The water is extremely sulphury and unpleasant. Bottled water is a must. Also, be sure to bring mousetraps and put your food in the upper cabinets or fridge. We easily caught four of the mice during the second night. If you stay during the winter, be sure to bring your own firewood as well. The hot tub was clean and hot, which was good. The biggest problem we had was that the first night we got 6" of snow. The owners sent someone out to plow the driveway and road. Great! Unfortunately, the second night we received another 2" of snow, but no one came to plow. The driveway and main road in were impassable. Several people staying in their cabins were literally snowed in. My son phoned the owners, the HH welcome center and several other cabin companies trying to find help for all of us who were stuck. We left messages for the owner, but they never responded. My son has Sprint, which had service/Verizon had none. We were supposed to checkout at 11am but the snowplow didn't show up until almost 2:30. Spending several hours waiting and wondering if help was ever going to come, while already having loaded the vehicles, was very stressful. The owner should have returned the calls to let us know what was happening. It is a cabin in the woods, I understand that. I just don't know that I would be willing to put my family in that type situation again with possibly no way of reaching help if there was an emergency. We were extremely lucky that my son's phone would work. Also, if you don't have a 4x4 vehicle, you may have a devil of a time getting up and down the driveway. Sorry to say it, but this is not a place where I would stay again.

Room Tip: Find a cabin that has a landline or some sort of cellphone service.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 November 2012

My fiancee and I stayed the first weekend in November at The Snuggle Inn. We booked the trip before reading reviews about Serenity Cabins so we were a little skeptical. From the moment we arrived we were amazed. What a beautiful cabin. As soon as we walked in we could tell we were in a clean cabin. Everything was clean and fresh. The kitchen was fully equipped with literally everything you would need for a few days stay. We brought our own food for the whole weekend. We used the stove, microwave, and charcoal grill...all worked great. Very nice new stainless steel appliances. We were very worried about the hot tub being disappointing...NOT AT ALL! Very clean, warm, and refreshing. You can turn on the different color lights for a nice atmosphere at night. The bed was comfortable too. Very clean bathroom. I do suggest bringing a case of bottled water as the water is well and it does smell. No cell signal or cable but the flat screen TV is very nice and there is a DVD player. Bring lots of movies. It took us about 15 minutes to drive to Old Man's Cave so not too bad. I gave it an excellent rating because we are outdoor camping type people so we were very pleased with what we got for the money. Surpassed our expectations by far. Others may complain about this or that but everyone has an opinion. We are nervous to try any other cabin due to not living up to the The Snuggle Inn. It is true...you can see the Rocky View Lodge from your cabin but we did not hear any noise from there. The driveway is steep and small. We drove a full size 4 x 4 truck and it was VERY tough to turn around but we managed. Just gotta be a good driver. 2 wheel drive in the snow or ice up the driveway.....GOOD LUCK! We have ZERO complaints on this cabin. Well worth it and we will be back for sure. Nice relaxing getaway from reality, kids, and the real world. The only other thing is the cabin sits high up on the side of a mountain and the road is below. You can hear cars going by. We thought it was tucked back deeper in the woods and more secluded. Not a big deal to us but not what we expected. Not a deal breaker at all for us. I hope the owners continue to keep this place nice and keep up with the maintenance and the upkeep becasue they have a nice thing going and a great investment in the Snuggle Inn.

Greg & Lauren

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Greg K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Logan
The Inn & Spa at Cedar Falls
Baymont Inn & Suites Logan
Hocking Hills Inn
Hocking Hills Inn
#27 of 30 in Logan

Been to Hocking Hills Serenity Cabins? Share your experiences!