“average food, was expecting better everything”

and 1 more site!
The Inn & Spa at Cedar Falls
Ranked #1 of 3 Logan B&B and Inns
Detroit, Michigan
“average food, was expecting better everything”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

This inn is part of the Select Registry, in fact the innkeeper/owner is even president of the organization. Therefore I had high hopes that everything would be pretty much perfect. Guess I should have lowered the bar.

We stayed in tree house.
The cabin was clean. It was nicely set in the woods and we didn't hear and road traffic. The main living room is on the entrance floor with the bedroom downstairs. There are spiral stairs to the bedroom which make it hard to carry luggage down. We just used the outside stairs connecting the back porches and it was much easier.

The whole cabin had a bit of a musty smell but we opened the windows and it was fine. One dad we came back and there were a dozen flys near the top windows in the living room. We killed them but didn't see where they were coming from.

If you are planning on cooking be aware TEHRE IS NO LARGE FRIDGE OR FREEZER. The pictures on the websites show a large fridge in most of the cabin pictures. This cabin only had a small mini bar fridge. This was not an issue for us since we cooked the day we got there but if we were planning cooking more this would have been an issue.

The bed was just average to almost poor. The sheets were great though since they use the COMPHY brand microfiber ones. We had no issues with hot water running out.
Do take your own hairdryer! Even tho they have one its just an attached-to-the-wall unit and it seems to only have one setting: really hot.
The little soaps and things were from China. They are "green" products but if an inn is trying to be more green I would think it would be better to use products available locally/USA. Shipping them from halfway across the world isn't really 'green'.

The FOOD
Based no the reviews I was expecting the food and breakfasts to be great. They were not. Each day you have the same exact menu with one 'special of the day". If you don't like the special of the day it gets boring picking from the same thing over and over again
Juices/Coffee/Tea etc
Then you pick one of the following
Special fo the day
Steel Cut Oatmeal with toppings (brown sugar, nuts, dried fruit)
Eggs (any style)
and then 2 sides from toast, bacon, sausage, muffins

There is also a table set up with yogurt, fruit salad, granola and whole fruit.

One day I asked if I could get a little cheese or ham in my scrambled eggs and the waitress said no cause that stuff was alll put away. Really? I'm paying over 300 a night and can't get a little cheese even? that annoyed me.
the muffins were good but overhyped I think. The one day it was a blueberry muffin and both of ours only have 3 blueberries in them.

We also has dinner one night. The roasted chicken was average, There was not enough seasoning on it for being "Herb Crusted". I was more like herb dusted and it could have used more cranberry sauce to cover up the dryness. The steak was cooked well temperature wise but again lacked seasoning. The dessert Crème Brule was not good at all. It was not creamy and I wished we would have just sent it back.
The food was not up to par as other select registry inns we've stayed at. It was just very average and too expensive for average food.

The entire time we were there the serivce in the dining room was so-so. The breakfast people never seemed happy except for one waitress. The actual innnkeeper/owner was also around at breakfast but she never introduced herself.
Our server for dinner seemed bothered to be working. She was slow to fill water, we had to stop another waitress for it and she also forgot our bread and didn't bring it out until 20 minutes later right before our food.
The front desk people were ok. I think the friendliest person we meet was the head housekeeper.

The hocking hills area was nice. I'm glad I saw everyting that I wanted to so I don't need to return to the area. I would recommend the area but not this inn. Maybe rent a personal cabin, There were a lot of ads for those in the area.

Room Tip: cottages are a better price then a cabin unless you want to cook on a stove
2 Thank tempra23
Ellen G, Owner at The Inn & Spa at Cedar Falls, responded to this review, 27 October 2013
I am so sorry that you didn't receive the excellent care we strive to give all of our guests. I appreciate you taking the time to write. I have discussed all of your concerns with each of our department managers.
Please come again as we would like to try again to make you a "raving fan". Anytime you are not 100% happy, please let us know during your stay so we can do everything we can to make it right.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Friends and I returned to the Inn and the same cabin, Hickory Hollow, this Fall and were again impressed. The property is wonderful and secluded while very close to most of the local trailheads. With the Fall colors just past their peak, it was absolutely beautiful. Although we worried when we read that the executive chef had left earlier this year, the food remained as delectable as it was last year. Once again, the stay provided relaxation, quiet, natural beauty and fresh air. The full moon really made the property glow.

Room Tip: 3 women shared Hickory Hollow which I believe is the only one with 3 beds. One is a bunk though so...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Susan B
Ellen G, Owner at The Inn & Spa at Cedar Falls, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Hickory Hollow is an ideal cabin for a girls getaway or families. We pride ourselves on outstanding food, even when one of our talented chefs has left. By the way, our new Exec Chef, Jeramy started this week. Come back soon and try him out.
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 19 October 2013

We rented "Dogwood" one of several cabins at the Inn. It is a lovely two story log cabin which beautifully appointed with Americana. It features a kitchen, living room and bath on the first floor, and the master suite down a spiral staircase. Both levels have walk out balconies over a deep ravine.

The lack of a bath on the lower level is a bit of a drawback, since the spiral staircase is really narrow. It is overpriced at the $300/night we paid, unless you factor in the beautiful isolation of the cabin.

The location places you just 5 - 10 minutes from the major attractions in the area, and there is a restaurant on site.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Ohiomitch
Ellen G, Owner at The Inn & Spa at Cedar Falls, responded to this review, 20 October 2013
Happy to learn you enjoyed your stay in the Dogwood cabin. Next time, you might try the TreeHouse or RedBud cabin as they both have a bathroom on the same floor as the bedroom. And, they are secluded on their own two acres too. Hope you took advantage of additional amenities like our free hearty breakfast, homemade cookies, cozy bathrobes and slippers and the two person whirlpool tub.
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 11 October 2013

This was our first trip out to the Inn at Cedar Falls and it will probably not be our last! We went based on a recommendation from a friend. We only stayed one night, but I think one night was all that we needed! We used this place as base camp for hiking at Hocking Hills. We ended up showing up early - had lunch at the restaurant. The food was AMAZING - both my wife and I commented that they were some of the best bites we've ever had. My wife had a caesar salad and a bowl of the bean soup and I had the turkey club. Their sourdough bread is amazing and the sandwich had a delicious pineapple chutney! Afterwards, we checked in early without any problem (check-in is normally 3 PM but our room was ready at 2 or 2:30 PM). The girl at the desk was very friendly, professional and informative. She told us everything we needed to know. We opted to rent a cottage instead of a cabin since it was only the two of us. I think cabins are for larger parties or if you want to be able to cook while you're there. Our cottage was beautiful! Very clean, very nicely decorated and it had everything we needed. It was fun reading the journal in our room (be sure to leave an entry!). We also enjoyed playing board games at our table. We opted to have dinner at the restaurant as well. Be sure to make a reservation before coming - they are required. Dinner, like lunch, was amazing - we both had the filet with mashed potatoes and carrots. We haven't had food like this in a long time so we really enjoyed it. The cheese ball for the appetizer was also really good and my wife had the apple, walnut, and cranberry salad. Delicious. We opted not to have dessert. We had heard great things about their desserts... but in true wilderness fashion, we wanted to make s'mores! Behind the restaurant, there is a fire pit, complete with firewood, tinder, and a common room in the inn nearby with matches, newspaper, etc. We made our own fire and roasted marshmallows! We did unfortunately have a scare at the fire - please be advised that it is VERY dark outside at night due to the lack of lighting and the fact that you're in the country (no city lights, etc.). We heard a rustling in the woods in front of us and a snort noise that sounded like a dog (coyote). This spooked us - we made loud noises to try and scare it (or them) off... 5 minutes went by before we heard something again! We also heard something thrown at us (likely dropped - there is an apple tree next to the pit). SO... we packed our stuff up and got out of there! Good thing we had a flash light - we had walked down for dinner. I would recommend driving down if you plan on staying out past dark. It was a scary walk all the way back to the cottage! But, we made it and had a good night sleep in our king bed. The bed itself was a little springy but the pillows and bedding were awesome - very soft, pillowy, and comfortable. We woke up and packed up the next morning - breakfast is 8 - 10 AM (complimentary) and checkout is at 11 AM. The breakfast was pretty good - I had scrambled eggs with a "spicy" sausage patty (just a regular sausage patty) and sourdough toast (again amazing). They also had an area with yogurt, fruit, and their homemade granola which was also delicious! My wife had eggs with bacon and she gave me her inn muffin, which was a delicious muffin with chocolate chips - warm and melty delicious. Checked out after that - no problems and my wife picked up a couple of unique items from the gift shop. Tip - there is a $5 coupon in the magazine they give you when you check in that is good for $5 off $25 in either the restaurant or gift shop! I bet a lot of people miss that.

Other observations - everyone at the inn was very friendly and made you feel welcome. We went in the middle of the week and noticed that most people were older than us (we are late 20s / early 30s). We overheard one of the employees mentioning how they had recently lost several staff members, that someone else was cooking, etc. - didn't seem to affect anything from what we could tell!

Other than that, be sure to check out the Hocking Hills Dining Lodge for lunch and dinner - we had a really great lunch there. Hiking is a must - we saw Cedar Falls and Old Man's Cave. Can't wait to do it again!

Room Tip: I know the Sumac cottage is handicap friendly.
3 Thank acdandyd
Ellen G, Owner at The Inn & Spa at Cedar Falls, responded to this review, 12 October 2013
Your extensive review provided all the details...the comfy cottage, delicious meals (you ate them all), fun around the campfire (did you know that deer snort?), and purchases in the gift shop. But, the nicest compliment was about our staff and how gracious and caring they were. Thanks for writing!
Allison Park, PA
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Very nice enjoyable place. The grounds are so beautiful and the highlight with flowers, view, birds, gardens, plenty of green space. The restaurant is pricey but the food is excellent making the price worthwhile. The main restaurant is in a log cabin built in 1846, a dining experience not to miss. If your expecting to get a few work items finished, go else where. The cell services and WiFi are pathetic! But isn't that why your visiting such a place, to get away.

Staff are quite friendly and treat customers like a first class resort. If you want to spend some hard earned $$ to get away at a remote place. This is your place. Just don't forget your wallet.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Ellen G, Owner at The Inn & Spa at Cedar Falls, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Delighted you enjoyed your stay. Next time you visit, check out the Fireside Lounge for wif-fi and cell phone service. The business center has computer use for our guests. Also, the rooms and cabins have wi-fi access.
North Carolina
Reviewed 3 October 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights. If you looked up tranquility in the dictionary.....you would find The Inn and Spa at Cedar Falls. We were In one of the cabins; which was down home rustic with modern conveniences. Breakfast was absolutely scrumptious, something for everyone, and no reason to leave the property for dinner as the food at the Inn was fabulous! Ellen our innkeeper was always around making sure that her guests were happy. Wonderful place to escape to, especially knowing that there isn't any cell service or wifi in the cabins......just peacefulness. When you want or need cell/wifi service, it is available in the main lodge. I also enjoyed my facial at the Spa......we will go back!

• Stayed October 2013
Ellen G, Owner at The Inn & Spa at Cedar Falls, responded to this review, 5 October 2013
Delighted to hear you ate all your meals with us and they were top notch. Appreciate all the kind compliments about our staff. See you next round!
Medina, Ohio
Reviewed 3 October 2013

This Inn is absolutely beautiful... so very serene!! We were there from Sept. 30-Oct. 2 with two close friends; we both stayed at cabins (Dogwood & Tree Top - great accommodations!).
Before we played some golf and enjoyed the colors of autumn, the ladies enjoyed an amazing facial massage.
In addition, the food is absolutely delectable and the staff was wonderful!!!
Many thanks for a wonderful stay and look forward to our next visit at this wonderful Inn.

Room Tip: The cabins are peaceful and are equipped with everything you can think of... just like home!!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
How perfect, the guys enjoyed a round of golf, while the ladies rejuvenated at the spa. Sounds like nice time for friends to spend uninterrupted time together. Come back again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Logan
Holiday Inn Express Logan
Holiday Inn Express Lancaster
Hometown Inn
Hometown Inn
#7 of 10 in Athens

Been to The Inn & Spa at Cedar Falls? Share your experiences!