“Magical…But Under Siege...”

Landoll's Mohican Castle
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Loudonville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Having read mixed reviews regarding Landoll’s Mohican Castle, it was with a tinge of trepidation that my travelling companion and I made our way through the Mohican Forest to our destination. Upon our arrival, we were greeted by a very pleasant front-desk clerk who gave us some information about our suite and sent us on our way.

We had selected the Thering Suite (Suite Number Nine) and weren’t sure exactly what to expect as the Castle website provides quite a bit of printed material about each suite, but very few photos.

The Thering Suite is a second story unit with a private deck. Upon entering the room, we were greeted by Celtic music playing from a CD on one of the end tables. Nice touch. The room itself is spacious and the ceiling is absolutely amazing as it features lots of dramatic angles. As I mentioned, the website features detailed information on each suite, so your best bet is to go there to read about the amenities in each suite.

Although I would not hesitate to recommend a stay at the Castle, I do so with a few warning tid-bits. Again, my thoughts are based on my experience in the Thering Suite, but, I assume what I observed there is true of the other suites as well.

The Castle is, no doubt, magical, and the grounds are stunning (we visited in early Spring and can only imagine the beauty of later Spring, Summer and Autumn!)…but, though magical, the Castle is under siege. The effects of time and lack of attention to maintenance issues are definitely in evidence. Fixtures are missing bulbs, sunlight could be seen around the perimeter of the suite door (must get cold and drafty in the winter!) and the shower door is so ill-seated at this point that my slippers were soaked by the seepage that escaped during my shower. Handles on some of the furnishings were loose and the TV/DVD players were extremely outdated and difficult to operate – even with the THREE separate remote controls provided!

Overall, I’d recommend the Castle…but I certainly do hope they begin to pay attention to the details and bring the place up to the level it should be at.

TIPS:
-- If you are a large person, the shower in the Thering Suite will not accommodate you. My travelling companion and I are slightly built and it was a bit tight even for us. There is a Jacuzzi tub in the bathroom, but that looked pretty small, too.

-- Though it isn’t advertised on the website, there is a free continental breakfast included with your stay. You may eat in the small lobby area or take items back to your room.

-- Check the Castle’s website for “Specials.” In off season, you can get a room for a fraction of the price the suites go for during the busier months.

-- The Stepping Stone Restaurant is located on the Castle grounds. You may eat in the restaurant or bring food back to your room – the Thering Suite had a dining area with dishes and utensils as I believe the other suites do. Restaurant prices seem a bit steep for the quality and quantity. Our desserts were top notch, though!

-- The swimming pool looked small and less-than-desirable as a recreation area.

-- There's a small cemetery on the grounds. Very interesting.

-- Upon arrival. follow the drive past the Castle to the area designated for Registration Parking. After registering, you will be directed to another lot with reserved parking for each of the Castle's individual suites.

-- Other than enjoying the grounds, there is nothing much to do at the Castle! Plan ahead if you want to do something else in the area. We took a drive down the nearby Wally Road Scenic Byway. Very beautiful.

Room Tip: Stay in one of the Castle Suites, not one of the cottages. Also, rooms on the second floor have dec...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
7  Thank Magic_Travelers
There are newer reviews for Landoll's Mohican Castle

Reviewed 22 February 2012

After reading the bad reviews I almost cancelled my trip to Landoll's Mohican Castle. I am so glad I didn't. We stayed in the Lawrence Suite and it was beautiful. Everything in the room was in great shape and very clean. It was immaculate. I have high standards and our suite was perfect. I couldn't have asked for anything more. The staff members that we came in contact with were wonderful. I don't know if maybe they have come under different management but what other people decribed in their bad reviews was not this place. This place is far from a dive and we will go back again. We stayed for two nights and housekeeping came in the morning after our first night and cleaned up the room, washed the couple of dishes that were in the sink and provided fresh towels. We didn't even have to ask them to do this. Even though it's the middle of winter the grounds were well kept and free of all debris. The brick walk way looked brand new and all of the dead plants and flowers had been removed from the flower beds. Do not listen to the bad reviews and make your reservation. You won't be disappointed!!(We stayed in the main castle, I can not speak for the cottages)

Room Tip: I would recommend staying in the main castle over the cottages.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank MissyF38
Reviewed 16 February 2012

I don't know how anyone can rate this place anything but terrible. I should have listened to the reviews. Upon check in we were greeted with barely a hello. When we got our room we were suprised to see that it had not yet been serviced, so we had to go back to the lobby and wait for it to be cleaned. The walls in our room were so thin it felt like we could have been in a conversation with the people next door. The place really looks like it is in some need of care as the walkways were tattered and unkept throuout the grounds. Overall, extremely dissapointed. Would not recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Joe G
Reviewed 30 January 2012

My wife and I booked two nights in the Miller Suite for our 6 month wedding anniversary (aka just an excuse to getaway from our busy work/school schedules). We had a nice, relaxing stay with no issues to speak of. We checked in with no problems. The staff seemed nice enough and made sure we knew where we were going and took our dinner reservations. We found our room, unloaded our bags, and found our parking without issue as well. The room was exactly as described and was very clean. We spent most of our time over our two nights just relaxing here. The only negative thing that I could say about the room is that the walls are very thin and even a normal volume conversation could be heard from the suite(s) around us. Even still, it wasn't THAT big of an issue, as our neighbors weren't particularly noisy. As far as the pool area goes, I cannot comment because we did not visit that area. We ate at the restaurant on our second evening there. While the service was great, the menu was less than impressive and the food was well below average considering the prices. I would recommend avoiding the restaurant. Check out went as easy as check in, and we left our weekend feeling relaxed and happy with our stay. I have to say that it is surprising to see all of these negative reviews here.

Room Tip: The Miller Suite was great. It has a wet bar/mini-fridge, kitchen table w/ dishes/silverware, huge b...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 January 2012

Worst Stay I have ever had anywhere!!! My husband and I discovered the castle about 4 years ago, we have always wanted to stay there but it has always been out of our price range. This year we had a little extra money and they were running a half off deal so we decided to try it (we should have known half off was a bad omen). Before when we went there it was gorgeous, the rooms were beautiful, up keep was great, the pool was amazing etc. Sat. we checked in and were raving about how excited we were to use the pool and see our little cottage. We got into the cottage and it was freezing and disgustingly dirty, we had to have it cleaned again! The manager herself came down and cleaned it. Then we decided to go swimming and use the hot tub, the filtration system was turned off as well as the waterfall and the heat. We tried seriously for hours to get a resolution then we were finally told it had been shut down for maintenance and that is why there were problems. The manager knew nothing about this isn't that strange? So by this time we were so upset we had spent hours trying to have a good time and it was just a mess. So we decided we wanted to leave, the manager was like ok and offered us a gift certificate to come back, come back never! So we asked could you at least comp. dinner is that the very least you can do? They said that wouldn't be a problem. We go to dinner and the food was surprisingly good, the staff and our waitress were very rude to us, service was horrible. Everyone else seemed to be enjoying themselves and they even got asked if they wanted dessert and shown a dessert tray, not us though. We were even given a bill and when I asked the manager about it she snapped at me saying we don't comp. appetizers but whatever we will take care of it I guess. So I tried to explain our restaurant experience to her and she shrugged and said well sorry about that and ran off before I could get another word in. It was absolutely the worst experience of my life. I reported her to management as well and they just said sorry. When we checked out no one asked us how our stay was or anything. We will never stay here again and I do not recommend it to anyone unless you want to have a miserable getaway.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
10  Thank stephylynn02
Reviewed 2 January 2012

We are just back from our stay on New Years Eve(2011) for our daughters wedding at the castle and we had the best time. Booked 5 rooms and all were unique and spotless. Staff was very helpful and courteous and the dining was exceptional. Was concerned with reviews but found none of the negative comments to be true. We were not disapointed and are talking about making reservations for all next New Years!

Room Tip: We had 5 different rooms and all were fantastic! My room was the Hardesty room and the pictures do n...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Deborah B
Reviewed 30 December 2011

We went this August 2011 for our 10 year anniversary, and it was the best one day vacation ever. Very relaxing. Was concerned about some reviews, but found it to be all we hoped for. Stayed in Landoll's suite in castle, and was not disappointed. Almost magical, even bathroom was incredible. Would stay again, and again. The grounds were beautiful and well taken care of. The staff was great and even took the time to show us 3 other rooms upon check out. Dinner was good, particularly the steak. If you don't like isolated locations, the woods, and getting away from the hustle and bustle of life, then don't go. Outside of castle, particularly the deck could use some upkeep, and the pool was average.We travel a lot, and this place is special and we will definitely go back.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Brent C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Loudonville
Berlin Resort
#1 of 4 in Millersburg
Hampton Inn & Suites Mansfield-South @ I-71
Berlin Grande Hotel
Mohican Lodge and Conference Center

Been to Landoll's Mohican Castle? Share your experiences!