Having read mixed reviews regarding Landoll’s Mohican Castle, it was with a tinge of trepidation that my travelling companion and I made our way through the Mohican Forest to our destination. Upon our arrival, we were greeted by a very pleasant front-desk clerk who gave us some information about our suite and sent us on our way.
We had selected the Thering Suite (Suite Number Nine) and weren’t sure exactly what to expect as the Castle website provides quite a bit of printed material about each suite, but very few photos.
The Thering Suite is a second story unit with a private deck. Upon entering the room, we were greeted by Celtic music playing from a CD on one of the end tables. Nice touch. The room itself is spacious and the ceiling is absolutely amazing as it features lots of dramatic angles. As I mentioned, the website features detailed information on each suite, so your best bet is to go there to read about the amenities in each suite.
Although I would not hesitate to recommend a stay at the Castle, I do so with a few warning tid-bits. Again, my thoughts are based on my experience in the Thering Suite, but, I assume what I observed there is true of the other suites as well.
The Castle is, no doubt, magical, and the grounds are stunning (we visited in early Spring and can only imagine the beauty of later Spring, Summer and Autumn!)…but, though magical, the Castle is under siege. The effects of time and lack of attention to maintenance issues are definitely in evidence. Fixtures are missing bulbs, sunlight could be seen around the perimeter of the suite door (must get cold and drafty in the winter!) and the shower door is so ill-seated at this point that my slippers were soaked by the seepage that escaped during my shower. Handles on some of the furnishings were loose and the TV/DVD players were extremely outdated and difficult to operate – even with the THREE separate remote controls provided!
Overall, I’d recommend the Castle…but I certainly do hope they begin to pay attention to the details and bring the place up to the level it should be at.
-- If you are a large person, the shower in the Thering Suite will not accommodate you. My travelling companion and I are slightly built and it was a bit tight even for us. There is a Jacuzzi tub in the bathroom, but that looked pretty small, too.
-- Though it isn’t advertised on the website, there is a free continental breakfast included with your stay. You may eat in the small lobby area or take items back to your room.
-- Check the Castle’s website for “Specials.” In off season, you can get a room for a fraction of the price the suites go for during the busier months.
-- The Stepping Stone Restaurant is located on the Castle grounds. You may eat in the restaurant or bring food back to your room – the Thering Suite had a dining area with dishes and utensils as I believe the other suites do. Restaurant prices seem a bit steep for the quality and quantity. Our desserts were top notch, though!
-- The swimming pool looked small and less-than-desirable as a recreation area.
-- There's a small cemetery on the grounds. Very interesting.
-- Upon arrival. follow the drive past the Castle to the area designated for Registration Parking. After registering, you will be directed to another lot with reserved parking for each of the Castle's individual suites.
-- Other than enjoying the grounds, there is nothing much to do at the Castle! Plan ahead if you want to do something else in the area. We took a drive down the nearby Wally Road Scenic Byway. Very beautiful.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Landoll's Mohican Castle provides a boutique hotel experience in central Ohio. The Castle contains 11 uniquely designed suites with fine furnishings that fit the style of an old world castle. In addition, there are four adjoining suites in a separate building called the Highland Suites. Finally, there are two free-standing cottages. The Highlands and cottages have been built to fit the theme of the large suite rooms that are featured in the Castle. The Castle Event Center is the largest of its kind in the Mohican-Loudonville area, seating up to 200 people in banquet-style seating. The Event Center and The Copper Mug Bar & Grille restaurant recently hosted a filming by a Gordon Ramsay television show. The result of this experience was a complete redesign of the menu for the restaurant and wedding events. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com and Odigeo so you can book your Landoll's Mohican Castle reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Landoll`s Mohican Castle Hotel Loudonville
- Landolls Mohican Castle Loudonville