“Wonderful!!!!”

Landoll's Mohican Castle
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Loudonville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 20 November 2013

My wife and I spent the night last evening for our 13th Wedding Anniversary. We loved the Landoll Suite, the staff was very prrsonable, and our entire experience was wonderful! We will be back!
Roger B
11.19.2013

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Roger B

Reviewed 16 November 2013

The grounds are beautiful, but it is dirty and not well kept. The website said that there was an outdoor hot tub in the McBeth cottage, which is the sole reason we booked that particular cottage. Well, it DOESN'T have one! When we went to ask about it, the manager told us that the website didn't say it had one. When I told her I saw it there she tried to tell me that I was getting it confused with the jacuzzi tub. She said the website has NEVER said that it had a hot tub. When we showed her a trip advisor review from someone else that said the same thing that we said, she maintained that the website had never said it. Now, it's awful funny that the breaker box in the cottage had its own breaker for a HOT tub. We were very upset. She half heartidly apologized asking us what we wanted her to do for us and telling us that she couldn't make a hot tub "magically" appear for us. I was appalled and offended to say the least. She also pointed out that the person that checked us in charged us the wrong (lower) price for the room ($40 big deal) making it seem that yet another mistake should make up for the big one.

Like I said, the place is gorgeous, it's just too bad it is not maintained and is so dirty. The jacuzzi tub had a large brown ring around it that I was able to clean away with just a wipe of a rag (see pic), that was really gross. The rest of the cottage wasn't bad. But it is small. The pool area was not clean or maintained; there is build up around the edge of the pool all the way around it, the jets in the cave area didn't work. And the hot tub in the pool area didn't work either (strike two for the hot tub experience). The bathroom in the pool area was disgusting; the toilet bowl was in severe need of cleaning, the mirror had a scummy film smeared on it that looked like someone started to clean it and just said the heck with it and quit. The room with the pool table looks like it hasn't been touched in months and months. The drinking fountain that didn't work looks like something was growing in it.

At any rate, our special weekend proved to be a very disappointing experience. I think if management would have been at least sincerely apologetic and just admitted error I wouldn't have been so upset. The other lady that was working was way more courteous and accommodating than the manager. If I ever heard any of my managers speak to a customer in such a manner, there would be no questions asked, they would immediately be relived of their duties.

I would not recommend unless I new that they have done some serious work to the facilities and had a change of management.

Room Tip: Do not choose a cottage. The Hess suite looked very nice inside.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Girlstrips
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I planned a 40th bday trip for myself and 3 friends.

Pros - the grounds are lovely, the castle itself is lovely. The room (the Ross Suite) was beautiful with it's architectural details and heated tile floor in the bathroom. That was great! The pool and jacuzzi were great! So warm and comfortable. I could have stayed for hours! There is a pool table in the building also but we didn't use it. The restaurant food was great!

Cons -There needs to be some updating/ repairs. The landscape was a bit worn out near the castle, but the grounds as a whole make up for it. There are a few spots in the room that need repair - some wallpaper issues. In the pool area - there are wallpaper issues as well and ceiling repairs that look halfway addressed. Also it seems like there were waterfalls, but those are shut off or no longer working.

There are just a few rooms to choose from with more than 2 people and I was initially charged 25.00 per person extra for the two additional people. However, the website and my receipt indicated 2.00 per person. They did honor the rate that I saw and had a receipt for. I guess I felt like the extra 50.00 there were going to charge would have brought along with it some extra towels and/or something.

I guess I am only giving an average rating because of the repairs that are needed for the cost of one night ($297.00). For that price, I expected another step up. Again, it was nice, but just not nice enough for the cost. Maybe for $150.00 - I could accept that.

Room Tip: our room was on the bottom floor and it was extremely loud when people walked above us. creaking flo...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Julie B
Reviewed 16 October 2013

This place is amazing. So the driveway has a few pot holes... So what???? You're in God's county. The location is perfect and the staff goes out of their way to make your stay warming. The rooms were gorgeous with tons of amenities. Dinner was wonderful and our service was great. I will be coming back again. I highly recommend you take the carriage ride, you will not be disappointed.

Ryan Hauger

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank rhauger85
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Our suite was nice, with a few minor glitches (glass with rim smudge, whirlpool tub control missing), with ambience and a comfortable bed. The desk clerk was unfriendly and bordering on rude. She was nicer the next day. The outside of the establishment is need of maintenance, from paint to stone resets to fountains that don't work. The pool and hot tub in the same building were uninviting and old. But the main reason we won't be returning is the food. The restaurant was nondescript, with ordinary food bordering on bad. I actually was not feeling well after dinner. One meal was fine, but the appetizer and dessert and definitely one meal was not good. And breakfast was similarly not up to par. Canned fruit! It's a shame, it could be somewhere we would return as it's a beautiful area but doubt it now.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Debbie T
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I was very concerned when I read the bad reviews and called a local contact to double check. His advice was correct: The place is nice. It's a locally owned lodge and uses a local staff which means you might need to ask for a spare light bulb or jiggle the handle on the door just right. As a country boy, I understand their surprise that you can't change a light bulb. But it was very nice and the small staff is very friendly. Yes, the driveway is rough, but no rougher than any other woodsy resort might have. Bring a flashlight because the grounds can be dark at night. Two notes for the business traveler. There is no ATT/Sprint service anywhere in the area. Not anywhere. And the one complaint I have is that there is no Wi-Fi in the rooms, only in the lodge office. Daily we had a chance to visit other visitors who were in the office to do some work or change travel plans. I would go back tomorrow. I enjoyed the location in the woods and the pace of the place.

Room Tip: The Lawrence Suite is very large with fireplace. If you want to make a memory, I recommend spending...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank bend962
Reviewed 2 October 2013

My girlfriend and I just got back from a weekend stay and it was fantastic, very romantic place. The room was very nice, very elegant. The staff were very nice and attentive, the grounds are beautiful and well done. we absolutely had a great time while we were there, the restaurant has outstanding food and we even found a local wine that was very tasty.
I read the reviews before hand and was a bit nervous about staying there. They all turned out false or from people that are very hard to please. Yes, the driveway was a bit rough but I have a Ford Mustang for gods sake and I had no issues. The grounds were fine, not sure what some people expect out in the middle of the woods. The room containing the pool was warm, but if you propped open the door it was fine.
Anyway I highly recommend the place, a unique and wonder way to spend a weekend. If I ever get married again, I would have the wedding there.

Room Tip: we stayed on bottom floor but next time I would like one of the rooms with a private balcony
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bfan99
Also consider these accommodations in or near Loudonville
Berlin Resort
Mohican Lodge and Conference Center
Spruce Hill Inn & Cottages
Spruce Hill Inn & Cottages
#2 of 4 in Mansfield

Been to Landoll's Mohican Castle? Share your experiences!