“3 and a half stars”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Toledo, Ohio
“3 and a half stars”
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Our room (Hess suite) was very nice. Large and comfortable. The bathroom was gorgeous but the Jacuzzi tub was pretty small. Staff was fine, breakfast was fine, the grounds were very pretty covered in snow. They had white Christmas lights that were very festive at night. Other than that it was a little dark on the paths. We had dinner at the restaurant - the server was very nice but the food was a little overpriced. It was nice to be able to walk there and not drive back down to town though, so maybe it's worth it. The pool and hot tub were sort of gross. The hot tub area was very dark- the whole building was wet from condensation with paint peeling. The bathroom was disgusting and there is no other option to change in. It might be better in warmer weather.It didn't make sense to me because the room was very well kept. A neat experience, I would go back but plan on spending all my time relaxing in the room.

Room Tip: We were on the ground floor and we could hear people walking upstairs. It wasn't terrible, but I...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Carrie S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 28 December 2013

We stayed two nights in late December; had a relaxing time at the Castle and in the surrounding area. The overall experience at the Castle was mixed, as noted in the title of the review. In comparing notes with other guests, it seems we all had about the same views.

Things started off on a negative note, as the desk clerk attempted to charge us more for the second night than the reservation clerk had quoted. After a brief discussion and confirmation of our rate (get your rate confirmed in an email), we did get the rate as originally quoted.

Room - pleasant, spacious, and comfortable. Housekeeping is a bit lax, in the areas of dusting, sweeping, and window cleaning. Nice layout; extensive cable tv selections --this is a good thing, since you can't get phone or computer connections.

Pool - nice that is was indoors in the winter. As noted by other reviewers, it could use some maintenance, cleaning, and updating.

Food - continental breakfast leaves a lot to be desired: coffee is weak, fruit is canned and of questionable origin, bagels and muffins are generic and not good. Dinner was much better - steak and walleye well prepared, veggies done perfectly, and service was top rate.

Area - recommendations for other activities (in the winter) include visiting Loudenville and Wooster for consignment store shopping (merchandise brings back great memories), restaurants (The Mohican Cafe in Loudenville is a classic small-town bar with friendly locals and the Broken Rocks Cafe in Wooster is superb), and hiking (great trails in Mohican State Park).

Overall, it was fun, but I think the Castle could be much more attractive and enjoyable with a bit more effort.

Room Tip: Get one of the tower or second level rooms.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank cless
Croton, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 20 November 2013

My wife and I spent the night last evening for our 13th Wedding Anniversary. We loved the Landoll Suite, the staff was very prrsonable, and our entire experience was wonderful! We will be back!
Roger B
11.19.2013

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Roger B
Marysville, OH
Reviewed 16 November 2013

The grounds are beautiful, but it is dirty and not well kept. The website said that there was an outdoor hot tub in the McBeth cottage, which is the sole reason we booked that particular cottage. Well, it DOESN'T have one! When we went to ask about it, the manager told us that the website didn't say it had one. When I told her I saw it there she tried to tell me that I was getting it confused with the jacuzzi tub. She said the website has NEVER said that it had a hot tub. When we showed her a trip advisor review from someone else that said the same thing that we said, she maintained that the website had never said it. Now, it's awful funny that the breaker box in the cottage had its own breaker for a HOT tub. We were very upset. She half heartidly apologized asking us what we wanted her to do for us and telling us that she couldn't make a hot tub "magically" appear for us. I was appalled and offended to say the least. She also pointed out that the person that checked us in charged us the wrong (lower) price for the room ($40 big deal) making it seem that yet another mistake should make up for the big one.

Like I said, the place is gorgeous, it's just too bad it is not maintained and is so dirty. The jacuzzi tub had a large brown ring around it that I was able to clean away with just a wipe of a rag (see pic), that was really gross. The rest of the cottage wasn't bad. But it is small. The pool area was not clean or maintained; there is build up around the edge of the pool all the way around it, the jets in the cave area didn't work. And the hot tub in the pool area didn't work either (strike two for the hot tub experience). The bathroom in the pool area was disgusting; the toilet bowl was in severe need of cleaning, the mirror had a scummy film smeared on it that looked like someone started to clean it and just said the heck with it and quit. The room with the pool table looks like it hasn't been touched in months and months. The drinking fountain that didn't work looks like something was growing in it.

At any rate, our special weekend proved to be a very disappointing experience. I think if management would have been at least sincerely apologetic and just admitted error I wouldn't have been so upset. The other lady that was working was way more courteous and accommodating than the manager. If I ever heard any of my managers speak to a customer in such a manner, there would be no questions asked, they would immediately be relived of their duties.

I would not recommend unless I new that they have done some serious work to the facilities and had a change of management.

Room Tip: Do not choose a cottage. The Hess suite looked very nice inside.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Girlstrips
Columbus, OH
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I planned a 40th bday trip for myself and 3 friends.

Pros - the grounds are lovely, the castle itself is lovely. The room (the Ross Suite) was beautiful with it's architectural details and heated tile floor in the bathroom. That was great! The pool and jacuzzi were great! So warm and comfortable. I could have stayed for hours! There is a pool table in the building also but we didn't use it. The restaurant food was great!

Cons -There needs to be some updating/ repairs. The landscape was a bit worn out near the castle, but the grounds as a whole make up for it. There are a few spots in the room that need repair - some wallpaper issues. In the pool area - there are wallpaper issues as well and ceiling repairs that look halfway addressed. Also it seems like there were waterfalls, but those are shut off or no longer working.

There are just a few rooms to choose from with more than 2 people and I was initially charged 25.00 per person extra for the two additional people. However, the website and my receipt indicated 2.00 per person. They did honor the rate that I saw and had a receipt for. I guess I felt like the extra 50.00 there were going to charge would have brought along with it some extra towels and/or something.

I guess I am only giving an average rating because of the repairs that are needed for the cost of one night ($297.00). For that price, I expected another step up. Again, it was nice, but just not nice enough for the cost. Maybe for $150.00 - I could accept that.

Room Tip: our room was on the bottom floor and it was extremely loud when people walked above us. creaking flo...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Julie B
Ashland, Ohio
Reviewed 16 October 2013

This place is amazing. So the driveway has a few pot holes... So what???? You're in God's county. The location is perfect and the staff goes out of their way to make your stay warming. The rooms were gorgeous with tons of amenities. Dinner was wonderful and our service was great. I will be coming back again. I highly recommend you take the carriage ride, you will not be disappointed.

Ryan Hauger

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank rhauger85
Berea, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Our suite was nice, with a few minor glitches (glass with rim smudge, whirlpool tub control missing), with ambience and a comfortable bed. The desk clerk was unfriendly and bordering on rude. She was nicer the next day. The outside of the establishment is need of maintenance, from paint to stone resets to fountains that don't work. The pool and hot tub in the same building were uninviting and old. But the main reason we won't be returning is the food. The restaurant was nondescript, with ordinary food bordering on bad. I actually was not feeling well after dinner. One meal was fine, but the appetizer and dessert and definitely one meal was not good. And breakfast was similarly not up to par. Canned fruit! It's a shame, it could be somewhere we would return as it's a beautiful area but doubt it now.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Debbie T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Loudonville
No photo provided
Mohican Lodge and Conference Center
Amish Country Lodging
Amish Country Lodging
#2 of 10 in Berlin

Been to Landoll's Mohican Castle? Share your experiences!