“ENCHANTING”

Landoll's Mohican Castle
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Loudonville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Very nice out-of-the-way place to stay. We enjoyed our stay and our dinner. Love the castle and our room. Nice winding wooden staircases. Bed was comfortable. Tub with jets was relaxing. Nice to have a little kitchenette, was able to put my food in the refrigerator and bring it home the next day. Even though it was winter we just happended to hit a sixty degree day and it was so nice a quiet to walk the path at night and then go out on our little porch and look at the starry sky. Unexpectedly was the blueberry castle jam - delicious!!!! Glad they sold it, I am enjoying it now on ritz crackers...

Room Tip: I did not notice the fitness center so I really cant rate it. The spa tub was nice and warm but the...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank daisydaisy2014
There are newer reviews for Landoll's Mohican Castle

Reviewed 10 March 2014

My friends and I stayed this past weekend and will never go there again! The sofa bed had mouse droppings in it and under it along with a dirty wash rag and kids toys. When we called the front desk, they sent housekeeping up - the one girl was very nice but the other one was very rude and acted like we were bothering her. They vacuumed and left. Well, when we looked, there were still more mouse droppings! We also found some on the counters. When we asked for another room, they said they were full. We asked for a roll away bed because none of us wanted to sleep on the sofa bed! The roll away bed was missing a wooden slat which made for uncomfortable sleeping. They did have coffee and a coffee maker but no creamer or sweetner. For $242 we expected more than this kind of treatment. When the 3 of us went to the front desk to express our disappointment, we were given a total of $20 off of our bill. Unbelievable! We are not complainers, but this was ridiculous and we feel we were justified in complaining!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
11  Thank Michi280
Reviewed 9 February 2014

This is a unique hidden getaway that provided a pleasant change of pace. The room was cozy. Dinner was good with the exception of the FROZEN vegetables. Although it is winter, a restaurant of this supposed caliber should have FRESH vegetables. Staff was pleasant.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Thomas51A
Reviewed 2 February 2014

My husband and I had our getaway scheduled and paid for in advance and received a phone call the night before informing us that the hot water tank in the castle had burst and they would not have one in most likely before our check in the next afternoon. We understood that things happen, however there was no communication the next day I had to call them to find out what was going on before we left for our trip...which is something that NEVER should have happened. They should have been on top of it the entire time. Wendy, who works at the front desk was very accommodating when we checked in and apologized and apologized. We were placed in the Thane Cottage which was ok but, not what I paid for. Cobwebs everywhere...again, we paid to stay in the castle in the Landoll Suite. This was NOT comparable in my book. Again, we do understand things happen that can not be controlled (such as H20 heater breaking) however, there was no compassion or any attempt to smooth things over and make us feel welcome. We enjoyed our company with each other and our getaway. The restaurant is about as good as their customer service (except for Wendy, of course)...yuck...we ordered pizza the next night! So upon check out we went to the castle to do so...the individual at the front desk, Crystal (the so called FD Manager) was rude and not friendly at all...she certainly would not be a manager at my business. Didn't even ask how our stay was until I started to bring something up. We had planned on returning for our anniversary in April however, that is very unlikely to happen. They want to charge Ritz Carlton prices and promote the atmosphere however, they can't provide the level of customer service required...because they are not capable. We paid over $400.00 for two nights...obviously the price was not an issue since we agreed to pay it. However, NEVER AGAIN! We left a message for the owner, still two weeks have gone by and no return phone call. Maybe this is where the problem lies?? Think twice before booking here...

Room Tip: Can't tell you about the room we were supposed to stay in...
5  Thank JLTAkron
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I visited the castle about 10 years ago in the summer and had a lovely time in one of the cabins. This year, they had a $99.00 suite special for the month of January, so my boyfriend and I decided to celebrate my birthday there. We stayed in the Kihm suite in the castle. Here is a list of the pros and the cons of the trip:

PROS
- Crystal at the front desk. She was friendly, helpful, funny, and personable.
- The grounds are beautiful, even with the snow.
- The room was absolutely gorgeous and very romantic.
- The bed was one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in.
- The bathroom had heated tiles.
- The dining room was very quick and efficient with to go orders.

CONS
- The driveway. This castle is seated on a large hill and the drive was not plowed or iced. It was impossible to get the car up the drive.
- The pool/hot tub building looked dirty and needed replacement lights.
- Multiple lights were burnt out in our suite.
- Other small issues, such as peeling paint, slow draining bathtub, confusing DVD player instructions...
- The dining room menu was limited and not very vegetarian-friendly
- The continental breakfast was also very limited.

Overall, I'd say with some renovations, a better food selection (including lunch options - dining room only serves dinner), and a plowed, salted driveway, this place could earn a 5 star rating. I would have felt cheated had I paid the full price for the suite.

Room Tip: The Kihm suite is very romantic
8  Thank eviespencer
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We stayed for a New Year Eve Birthday treat for me. We arrived just after 12 noon,not expecting our room to be ready but maybe offered coffee or something to do while we waited. We had visited there before and knew where the pool was so we made our own way over there. No changing rooms... so used the dirty bathroom. Pool was ok but the whole area needs some serious cleaning and updating. The recreation room was a joke. Pool table and 2 old leather sofas that had seen better days.Back to reception to check in,new lady at the desk now very efficient offered us coffee and checked us in.Went over to our room which was not in the main hotel. Nice room but I did not expect the bed to be in middle of room looked strange,checked out the bathroom very nice jacussi bath, NO SHOWER I even looked behind the door. NO WI FI ahhhh. No cream for coffee.After paying over $200 for one night I was disappointed. The food we had at the "murder mystery' dinner was awful when I pay $60 each for that I expect something more than mashed potato and tough beef. We also had to pay $29 for a cheap bottle of wine,and there was no tonic to go with the gin. Guess we wont be staying there again. Oh and breakfast was non existant,for the price we paid I expected a cooked breakfast at least.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank MrsWorldwide999
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Our room (Hess suite) was very nice. Large and comfortable. The bathroom was gorgeous but the Jacuzzi tub was pretty small. Staff was fine, breakfast was fine, the grounds were very pretty covered in snow. They had white Christmas lights that were very festive at night. Other than that it was a little dark on the paths. We had dinner at the restaurant - the server was very nice but the food was a little overpriced. It was nice to be able to walk there and not drive back down to town though, so maybe it's worth it. The pool and hot tub were sort of gross. The hot tub area was very dark- the whole building was wet from condensation with paint peeling. The bathroom was disgusting and there is no other option to change in. It might be better in warmer weather.It didn't make sense to me because the room was very well kept. A neat experience, I would go back but plan on spending all my time relaxing in the room.

Room Tip: We were on the ground floor and we could hear people walking upstairs. It wasn't terrible, but I...
3  Thank Carrie S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Loudonville
Berlin Resort
#1 of 4 in Millersburg
Hampton Inn & Suites Mansfield-South @ I-71
Berlin Grande Hotel
Mohican Lodge and Conference Center

Been to Landoll's Mohican Castle? Share your experiences!