“Could be a dream come true for some”

Landoll's Mohican Castle
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Loudonville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 5 January 2011

I enjoyed my stay, but I only stayed one night at the end of Dec. Snow on the ground made the place look magical at night with all the twinkle lights and neat walk ways. The Thering Suite was decorated nicely, a perfect size, the bed was super comfy (took my own pillow), we had our own deck with a table and chairs (too bad it was so cold outside). The gas fireplace was a nice touch but after running it for about 20 minutes it heated up the room to summer temps and it never cooled down, even with the door cracked open.

There is nothing to do here. We borrowed Scrabble from the very unfriendly front desk girls and played a few games while we mixed our own drinks in the room. Remember to bring your own snacks and drinks. A small bottle of soda is $2 and a bottle of beer is $3. No snacks to be found.

We live in our dream home so this place, while nice, didn't have the "wow" factor we expected, however I could imagine for some who aren't as fortunate as us, this place could be absolutely fascinatingl. My husband is a builder and he commented that the fixtures used, etc, were nice, but described the place as "silly." He said he could tell it was built without much planning, especially when we entered the gorgeous pool building and noticed the ceiling falling down, lights falling, and completely full of mold. We got out of that place as soon as we could!

We ate dinner at the restaurant and our waitress was quite nice, a woman in her 60s maybe? The menu does not match the decor and it really troubled me. We ate very tasty food, the pork was very good, and paid about $80 for dinner, but the decor kept screaming meatloaf and mashed potatoes, not a filet or the wonderful house salad dressing they offered. I had a hard time paying such high prices for a meal that didn't match the atmosphere. But it did taste good and the portions were ample.

Two things in the room didn't meet my expectations: No towel bar or ring to hang a hand towel so I had to drape it over the pedestal sink; shower stall had a small dish to place the soap, which wasn't screwed into the wall so it wobbled, and I had to place my other toiletries on the shower stall floor.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Terriv

Reviewed 1 January 2011

I can't believe they bill this place as a luxury hotel. Don'be be fooled by the website-totally misleading. We had horrible service at every turn. The room we stayed in was dirty, and when we asked for the room to be serviced they said they were "short staffed" that day??? The grouds look really neglected. Walkway lights are broken. The roof shingles need painted, the tower stairs are old and dangerous, and windows are dirty. What used to be a waterfall sits neglected. The restaraunt was probably the worst part of our experience. Our food was lukewarm, and the server seemed agrevated that we disturbed her (we were the only ones in the restaraunt). The pool was so full of chlorine we had to leave after only 5 minutes. We had originally booked the reservation for two days but we decided to leave after only one!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hoosierfan5
Reviewed 9 November 2010

This place is so off the beaten path...its well worth the drive!! Staff was very friendly and accomidating! Very clean, you feel like you are in the middle of nowere. The food in the restaurant was awesome as well, the only think I did not like about the restaurant was that they did not have a big selection for dinner. But overall it was awesome!

• Stayed: November 2010
1  Thank dooney78
Reviewed 7 October 2010

We have stayed twice at Landoll's Castle and both times were wonderful. The Castle is so beautiful and our room was just amazing! Both times we stayed in the Landoll room which has its own tower (our children thought that was the best). The castle and rooms are so well crafted that it is a joy to simply look around. We stayed once in the summer and once in December and I actually preferred winter so we could have our fire going and sip hot chocolate while playing board games with the kids. The December trip was actually a Christmas present to our young children as they kept asking for another trip to the Castle. The rooms were always spotless and the pool was divine!

One the downside, The hotel does need some maintenance but I can't even imagine what the upkeep of such a building and grounds would cost and with this economy, we forgive them. I have to agree that the current restaurant is not that great. The previous one that burned was exceptional so I suppose my fond memories of it get in the way of my view of the new restaurant.

I would certainly recommend a visit to friends and I would love to make another visit myself (yes, the kids are asking!) If someone is looking for excitement, they would probably be disappointed. If you want to relax and witness an amazing example of architecture and craftsmanship in a peaceful setting, you will be thrilled!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Mimi1999
Reviewed 19 September 2010

This is a unique property, but one which gives evidence of an inattention to detail in its ongoing operation. First, the pluses. Our room was wonderful. Clean, beautifully decorated, hardwood floors, comfortable bed, fireplace. And quiet. We heard not a peep from any of the other rooms all night. Also, the "castle" itself is incredible. To me, it resembles an English "folly"; i.e. an idiosyncratic building full of character. It is truly one of a kind. The location is beautiful, in the rolling countryside, and secluded. Ideal for getting away from the rat race.
Now the minuses. When we checked in, the person behind the desk was wearing what appeared to be a white t-shirt with a large stain on it; had an overall slovenly appearance. The printed materials we were given had many spelling and grammatical errors. The closet doors in our room wouldn't close. The "jacuzzi" tub had so many controls that it was difficult to figure out how to simply run a bath or take a shower. The universal remote only worked for the TV, we had to start and stop the DVD player by hand, and never were able to figure out how to get the satellite TV to work. The front desk called our room about 8:00 in the evening to see if everything was to our liking. Guys -- we came here NOT to be interrupted by phone calls. Not cool. The roads on the property are definitely in need of maintenance, as are the wooden shake shingles on the roof of the building. Finally, the "trails" on the property are mostly overgrown brush. They are not maintained. You would do just as well to just wander around in the woods (which, in effect, we did).
As for the restaurant, it is nothing special. A large room that feels more like a buffet hall. Food is OK. As for other dining options in the area, there are none. There is a McDonald's down the road, which is probably your best bet for breakfast locally.
Would we stay here again? Yes, but we would dine somewhere else, or bring takeout to heat up in the microwave. And we would plan to do our hiking in Mohican state park, not on the grounds.

2  Thank LocalMan83
Reviewed 13 September 2010

My girlfriend and I had a wonderful experience at Landoll's Mohican Castle. The staff were incredibly helpful and accommodating, helping my girlfriend surprise me with flowers in our room from a local florist. The room (we stayed in the Kihm Suite) was clean and beautiful—we particularly enjoyed the heated tiles in the bathroom. Others have commented likewise, but the Celtic music playing in the room was a nice touch. The grounds were gorgeous and, if you choose, you can go hiking at Mohican Park, which is only a few minutes away.

Our one complaint is that the restaurant was terrible. From the sea-foam green walls and odd country décor to the strange-tasting stuffed-chicken and overdone steak, our experience at the restaurant was anything but positive. When we arrived at 8pm, which was the latest seating, the waitress seemed irritated that we chose to eat at 8pm. In fact, she began sweeping and turned off some of the lights and the music while we were there. Although the rolls and blueberry jam were great, the meal definitely was not worth $50. Save your money and take your own food.

2  Thank kyeoj1926
Reviewed 12 September 2010

My husband and I went over the weekend to celebrate our one year anniversary. I was expecting a lot more than what we got. There is not much to do. The restaurant on the grounds is not recommended at all. They do not have much of a selection, and the prices are outrageous. If you decide to spend one night I would recommend it but not an entire weekend. The sauna was out of order, the hot tub was cold. The only nice thing was the pool. You walk the grounds once and that is all there is. The rates for the rooms are outrageous. If I would of know what it was all about I would of only stayed one night. There was maid service but we never received any. It was chilly at night so we wanted our fireplace started and they did not know how to do it. My husband and I had to do it. What suprised me was that the castle is only 8 years old and it already needs a lot of work to be done to it.

1  Thank charm42
Also consider these accommodations in or near Loudonville
Berlin Resort
Hampton Inn & Suites Mansfield-South @ I-71
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#5 of 5 in Berlin

Been to Landoll's Mohican Castle? Share your experiences!