“Great Dining experience”
Review of Melting Pot

Melting Pot
Reserve with OpenTable
Melting Pot is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 30 Restaurants in Lyndhurst
Price range: US$20 - US$60
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Richmond
Description: The Melting Pot is an interactive and fun fondue experience. From an intimate romantic dinner for two, to a girl’s night out, The Melting Pot is the perfect place to escape and relax!Known for superior service our well-trained staff will guide you through this unique dining experience. The Melting Pot features an extensive bottled wine list, a cocktail list with trendy martinis and seasonal, local beer choices. Our dinner menu of creamy cheese fondues, fresh salad and entrees including steak, lobster, chicken, shrimp & vegetarian meals are all prepared tableside. Don’t forget to leave room for our decadent chocolate fondue desserts rounding out the perfect dinning experience in casual elegance!
Reviewed 22 December 2013

We dined at the Melting Pot in Legacy Village tonight for a large (12) family night out. It was great. Patrick was a terrific server. Food was excellent (as always) and it was just plain fun for the whole family. The phenomenal chocolate fondues to cap the dinner off were excellent. We've never been disappointed at any Melting Pot we've dined in.

Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

The menu is very confusing and overwhelming. We each had the four course meal which comes with 2 cheeses and 2 cooking styles (one free, one charged per pot) that you share: choice of salad and entree. You get raw veggies, fruit (grapes and green apples), bread and chips for cheeses. You get raw veggies and potatoes with raw meat (entree). Everyone has their own colored skewer to put your meat/veggies on then cook in pot of flavored cooking style. You also get 5 different dipping sauces. For dessert, choice of two chocolate sauces with an array of treats: marshmallows cheesecake, brownies, strawberries and cakes. The experience is definitely a conversation piece and enjoyable. EXPENSIVE!!!!!! However, great attentive service.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

I also used the $40 Groupon for a fondue dinner for two (up to an $87.60 value). I was a little wary after reading about the poor experience some of the Groupon users had at the restaurant. We were seated quite promptly. Since we had two toddlers who needed high-chairs, we were re-seated at a different table (a separate room with just that single table). It was great as it allowed us some privacy and we didn't have to worry a lot about the twins making a ruckus. Our server (David) walked us through the fundamentals of fondue. We had cheddar cheese fondue (we were not a bog fan of veggies dipped in the cheese, but the bread was good), a house salad and a California salad, and two entrees comprising six meats (Pacific white shrimp, honey-orange duck breast, Atlantic salmon, mahi mahi, chicken breast, chicken potstickers) along with some veggies. We cooked our entrees in two styles - Seasoned Court Bouillon, and Coq au Vin. All this was part of the Groupon deal. In addition, we asked for one portion of a dessert (I emphasized on the ONE portion aspect, as another reviewer here said that he/she was charged for two persons). That one portion of the Original chocolate fondue was the perfect amount for us. The dessert, and the taxes and gratuity were about 30$ - so a total of $70 for the dinner for two.
So, it was a little expensive but okay for special occasions – it was my birthday, and they gave me a card and lighted a candle in my cheesecake. No chocolate covered strawberries for me ;)

Reviewed 10 November 2013

Made a reservation for this past Friday night. We had a Groupon for four people worth $80. It included and appetizer of cheese fondue (good) a salad (average) and an entrée (barely OK). We were encouraged to try the "Classic" which was a mixture of various sea foods, meats, and poultry. We were told that we could trade items within the "Classic." Thus we could opt for more steak and cut out another item. We took advantage of this option. We traded the ravioli for an increase in the chicken. If I were to go again, I would also cut out the salmon. It did not lend itself to the boil method of cooking.

If we were to purchase this dinner w/o the Groupon it would have come in at $37.95 per person. However, that price included dessert. The Groupon offer did not. That would have amounted to $151.80 plus drinks, tax and tip. If I deduct the cost of the dessert per person ($7.50) the total would equal $128.80. There is no way I can figure out how we would get this food for the $80 value of the Groupon.

Then it got worse. The bill came with the tip included at 18% (we were told this was an option and this was O.K. with us), tax, our meal, and drinks.
Drinks: 2 cokes = $5, 1 wine = $10, 1 Beer=$5. Grand total for drinks +$20.
Desserts: 2 @ $7.95=$15.90

So what was the bill? $211! + $16.89 tax + $38 tip Making the final total +$265.99 Ouch!

Then the accounting magic came.
$92.20 was deducted for my ($80) Groupon?
Subtotal then +$115.90
Tax was added at $9.27 (The tax was $16.89 on the original bill)?
"Groupon 4-A" was deducted at $10.40?
New total was $114.77
Then the Tip was added @ $38.00
Total =$152.77

The new total was now $152.77
Then at the end of the bill it listed $69.60 which I think was the new total?

Cash was tendered at $100.
The return amount was $16.83 ?

I have had fondue in Europe and CA and loved it. Additionally, I have make it at home.
The food at MP was a bit too uneven in quality for me to recommend.

I make it a habit to avoid making negative reviews unless I am really negatively impressed with the product.

In this case it is the convoluted billing that I am tempted to send to my CPA to unravel

The waitress was helpful and nice.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

Even with a $40 Groupon for 2 people---the deal was not good. Tax and tip was almost another $20; Total of $60 for a small cheese fondue, 2 salads, and unappetizing boiled meat.

The Groupon deal was for: 2 ORDERS OF CHEESE FONDUE (revised for us to share one); TWO SALADS (the server told us to ignore menu prices, although 18% tip was slapped on actual amounts, which he didn't tell us but we heard other servers tell other tables); TWO ENTRESS (they brought us a platter of a variety of meat---we did not get to choose entrée); TWO COOKING STYLES ( another lie---it was only one).

We asked to substitute the dessert for the entrée and were told by the manager the computer wouldn't allow it. Ha---they could make changes but not us??!! It would have been cheaper for them to allow our request and come on---a manager can always over ride the computer system. Who cooks meat by poaching it? Not appetizing at all. Other servers told tables that there were unlimited breads, veggies, and dips but not ours. We had to have another server find our server for us. Then he tried to tell us that the Groupon covered part of the tip. Wrong again. It was split by the $40 Groupon times 18% plus the pre-Groupon bill of $87 - $40 times 18%.I'd never pay $87 + tax + 18% tip = $107.88 for a small cheese fondue, 2 salads, and unappetizing boiled meat. I wouldn't even pay the approx. $60 that I did if I knew before hand what we'd be getting. I dine out often and would never recommend this. Unless you like feeling jipped---walk away!!

1  Thank JaneWilder

Been to Melting Pot? Share your experiences!