“I was scared when I found out I was staying here!”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Mansfield
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Mansfield
Trenton, OH
“I was scared when I found out I was staying here!”
Reviewed 19 October 2011

I was judging a dog show in the area last weekend and after reading the reviews of this hotel I was really worried that the club had booked me into a dump. NOT SO! The front desk person was blase but the room was clean, the king size bed was comfortable, the TV was modern and had a good picture. I would have preferred a thermostat that I could adjust down below 67 but it wasn't a big deal. The hallway outside my room had a huge bleach stain but inside the room the carpet was new and in excellent condition. The shower curtain wasn't moldy though the shower head was a little scary so I didn't adjust the spray as I might have.

The room came with an iron and ironing board, hair dryer, coffee maker, fridge and microwave - amenities I'd expect from a more expensive place.

I checked with friends staying with pets to see if their rooms were nice and all said they were. I'd have no concerns recommending this hotel to others.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Dana H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Gainesville, Virginia
Reviewed 18 October 2011

We stayed at the La Quinta Inn - Mansfield, Ohio last year in Summer 2010 and will never return. We are regular La Quinta customers and have stayed at many La Quinta Inns across the United States. This particular one was not up to the La Quinta standards at the time we stayed. It would be worth the extra miles to go on to the next La Quinta, (which we did this Summer 2011). The room we had was right next to the pool, but it was rundown. It had old stretched out carpet with ruts in it, which we tripped over as we moved about the room. The room, which was supposed to be non-smoking, smelled smokey and very damp and musty, like it needed a good, thorough carpet steam cleaning. The air-conditioning did not work, but they were quick to fix that. The waffle maker on the breakfast bar had a broken handle. After our stay, the manager sent us a review link. We informed him about these things and he sent a snide email response. Even though they have a nice pool area, I would not recommend this particular La Quinta hotel.

Room Tip: Drive on to the next place. It needs renovation and some of the the staff have a poor attitude.
  • Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Jolene B
NW Georgia, USA
Reviewed 16 October 2011

I had a very comfortable stay. The building's interior was very pleasant, and the property is near interstate, restaurants, discount shopping, and gas station. I didn't use the pool. Breakfast was just fine, and the front desk staff was cheery. The hotel is several years old, but I have no complaints about maintenance and cleanliness.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Vero Beach, Florida
Reviewed 23 September 2011

This La Quinta is in a great location off I-71 between Columbus and Cleveland. There are a variety of restaurants and gas stations on this exit. However, this is one run-down and DIRTY hotel! The carpeting is grossly stained in hallways and in my room. Maybe since I had my dog, I had a yuckier room? I don't know.

• Stayed September 2011
4 Thank Ellenmail
Medina, Ohio
Reviewed 29 August 2011

This was the most run-down La Quinta we've ever stayed at. We stayed here for our anniversary weekend and I don't even know if I can remember all the bad things. But let's try, shall we? FIRST room - Smelled horrible. Musty?? Smokey?? A/C barely pumped. Final straw was the tv would randomly shut itself off. SECOND room - mold all around the bathroom vanity/sink area (Looks at my photo). This new room now had TOO much room deodorizing spray and it was sickening. Shower head fell off. Electricity constantly flickered, - shutting tv, lights, etc. on & off. Then we would randomly smell SMOKE like the hotel was on fire!! Not cigarette smoke...like burning wires type of smoke. I slept fully clothed because I thought at any time the fire alarms would go off at night. On top of all of this I GOT TRAPPED IN THE ELEVATOR...basically stuck between floors by myself and the buttons were not responding. The elevator is slowwww when it does work. Pool: not maintained. All but one light is burned out. There was only one clean pool towel left. Hot tub/jacuzzi was colder than the pool. At check-out I stood at the counter for quite a length of time while staff socialized. Left the card keys on the counter and we LEFT.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the 4th floor. It's ready to burn down.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Metoer1962
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed 16 August 2011

Traveling with family and dog. Stayed twice in 2 week period. Very good value with AAA rate of $66 in well maintained and clean rooms. Property was well cared for in good location with Wal mart, gas and dining in immediate area. Staff was good and property in good condition. Nothing to rate negatively.

Room Tip: Excellent stay best rate was AAA. (usually La Quinta AARP rate is better)
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed 14 August 2011

We booked at this hotel for the amenities and for being right next to the nearest highway. Originally reserved a single king size and upon check in we find out that the front desk clerk had upgraded us to a 2 room suite b/c the tv in our original room was not working. Score! She was very nice and courteous. Upon entering the room I noticed a faint smell of cigarette smoke. The sink in the master bedroom did not look as if it had been cleaned at all. There was toothpaste in the inside and there were old soap marks still left outside. The bedroom bath was clean..except for the overpowering smell of cigarette smoke. It made it possibly the grossest showering experience I have ever had at a hotel. After 5 minutes I had to get out before I threw up.
Same deal for the bathroom area in the adjoining suite room. It reeked like cigarettes. The sink area and couch room outside were clean and passable.
We did enjoy the pool and hot tub however and they were clean and well managed. Also kudos to the free breakfast staff who kept the eating area clean and well stocked.
Overall this experience was ok for the price...but would have warranted at least 4 stars if it weren't for the gross out nicotine smell.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mansfield
Hampton Inn & Suites Mansfield-South @ I-71
Comfort Inn Splash Harbor
Comfort Inn Splash Harbor
#1 of 4 in Bellville
Fairfield Inn & Suites Mansfield Ontario

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Mansfield? Share your experiences!