“Nice simple place to stay”
Review of Surf Motel

Surf Motel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Marblehead
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Decent hotel, was clean for the week we stayed, pretty nice pool and the room service was adequate. The hotel is located very close to the ferry Kelly's island, the ferry to put in bay is a bit of a drive however. We stayed here for a week while we went to cedar point and the African safai(which the hotel owner also gave us lots of coupons to put in bay and the African Safari,as well as cedar point) would stay again for sure!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank steven109

Reviewed 29 July 2013

I read the previous reviews before staying and was a little afraid. But rest assured, this motel is very nice for the price. The room was clean and we had no problems with anything there. We felt safe and relaxed and really enjoyed our stay there. Yes, the towels weren't the softest but I can think of worse things that could have been wrong with our stay. The only thing I would add is a coffee maker in the room and curtains with the blinds in the window. If you're looking for a short vacation and plan on spending most of your time outside versus inside, this is a great deal for your money.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank giraffeteach
Reviewed 1 July 2013

one of the worst places we ever stayed, room smelled like dis-infectant or bug spray so bad i woke up with sore throat, was going to stay 2 nights but changed our mind, could not get out of there fast enough.We will not return if it was free.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 October 2012

The Surf is a very basic motel, and inexpensive, so I wasn't expecting much when I made my reservation. When I arrived, I noticed that the room wasn't very clean, there were numerous mosquitoes buzzing around the inside of the room, the shower barely worked, the lock on the door was difficult to unlock with the key, the bath towels were very low quality and not the slightest bit soft, and there isn't much sound insulation in the rooms. I was made aware of this when someone in another room a few doors down decided to start their Harleys and let them idle outside for 15 minutes before they finally left, at 6:00 in the morning. Next time I come down to this area, I'll be staying somewhere else.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Ron P
Reviewed 17 July 2012

My wife and I recently made a reservation with the Surf Motel in Marblehead Ohio. We found that we needed to cancel our reservation soon after we booked it. We cancelled our reservation within the 72 hours window given by the Surf Motel.As a result,we did not incur any charges for cancelling our reservation.
Today,we received our credit card bill. There was a $15.00 charge from our friends at the Surf Motel. We called to check and were told, to our surprise, that there is a $15.00 "administartive fee" for simply making the reservation. Problem is, no one from this fine establishment mentioned their "administrative fee" at the time we made the reservation.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else
Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Patti B
surfmotel, General Manager at Surf Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2012

You recieved a confirmation 3 minutes after you made your reservation. That is a policy we have had for many years. Your reservation was booked over a month prior. You were well aware of the policy and fully informed. We ars a small family business and have been here for four generations. All policy are clearly post on all correspondences and web site. Sorry you feel this is a problem.

Reviewed 12 August 2010

We always stay @ the Surf. I have in years past spent more money for a name brand hotel around this area. Not after I found the The Surf though. This is a family run business. American family I might add. The Surf Motel and Campgrounds are just that, motel rooms, a campground, Bait and Tackle Shop, Fish Cleaning Area and part of the shop is a gift shop. There are picnic tables to enjoy the veiw of Lake Erie, . a pond full of bass, boat parking and it's within walking distance of the Marblehead Lighthouse.

The rooms we stayed in this trip had 2 dbl beds, swivel TV with cable and remote, a microwave and refridgerator (mini of course] Our rooms were clean,including the bath and shower water was hot and plentiful.
I appreciate the place for value, hospitality of the owners, the view of the Lake, the hot fresh coffee in the AM, a safe place for my children and many wonderful memories.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank travelingmamabear
Reviewed 17 July 2010

We were very disappointed with the cleanliness of the room. Old is one thing but dirty is not acceptable. I don't think the room had been cleaned (other than the beds changed) from previous renters.We actually requested to have our bathroom cleaned when we checked in (there was hair on the toilet and in the tub). The beds are very uncomfortable, the carpet needs cleaned, towels are small and need fabric softner. A lot of cleaning and a little paint would be good. The pond in back was nice for the kids to fish for their time at the motel. During our three day stay we got clean towels and they made our beds every day. emptied trash 1 day, but did not vacum at all. We will not stay here again. We would rather pay a little more than pay $100.00 for this place.

• Stayed: July 2010
5  Thank traveler0710_10
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marblehead
South Beach Resort Hotel
#4 of 4 in Marblehead
Lake Point Motel
Lake Point Motel
#2 of 7 in Marblehead

Been to Surf Motel? Share your experiences!