“Best camping experience”
Review of Surf Motel

Surf Motel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Marblehead
Reviewed 27 May 2014

If you like to camp this campground is the best! This is our 4th time here and it just keeps getting better and better. An easy walk to Marblehead for cute little shops and great food. The campsite was clean, well situated and very safe for kids! We loved it and have already booked our campsite for 4th of July and Labor Day.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Kevin V

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Wife and I have stayed here many times before but now under new ownership since last Fall. New owners are making appearance changes on the outside as well as the inside the rooms. All freshly painted and cleaned do top to bottom. New linens as well. Friendly and accommodating to any concerns the guests may have. We will be back.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
12  Thank richard b
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I would love to come take a tour of this place since it is under new ownership. Hopefully it is actually a new owner and not just someone different from the same family because the apple usually does not fall from the tree. As I have read in another review , they have been renovating all the rooms. That would be a great thing, as my family were duped by the web site in 07 and planned a stay, when in actuality the only updated room was depicted online. This would not have been such a problem if the room we ended up with had been cleaned sometime in the past 6 months. I have read some reviews from that time period and I believe they had to have been written by the owners. Please let me state that we are not "high society" people with unrealistic expectations but this experience was beyond belief. To start off they "upgraded" us to kitchenette room because the room we had reserved was inadvertently given to someone else. They had us pay at check in instead of check out which should have raised red flags. My husband had to fight with the door to get it open and for some reason the outside of the door was coated in bugs so we had to move indoors quickly which is hard with 4 kids. The first thing you saw was the stained carpet which we assume was from someone gutting fish directly on the floor. It looked like a crime scene. We made the kids keep there shoes on the whole trip. The tiny fridge door would not stay shut so it was unusable. There was an inch of dead bugs in the window sill which is why I say the place looked untouched for months. The gap between the stove and countertop was full of food.......peanuts and bacon as I recall. And the smell..... I'm sure from gutting the fish on the floor. We went to a nearby Walmart to buy febreeze! The "efficiency" room that we were "upgraded" to had a double bed in the kitchen area which we took and put the kids in the bedroom. Their room had Doritos and Cheetos under the bed. The bathroom had a paper band over the toilet to indicate that it had been cleaned, yet there were pubic hairs floating in the water. SMH But our favorite experience had to be the adjoining door in the kitchen to the room next to us. Remember, our bed was in the kitchen. It might as well of been a curtain! We heard every word that was said by the party goers till 3 ish in the morning. We even heard a fart which was followed by riotous laughter. Why on earth did we stay you ask??? Simple , remember .....we paid in advance and were afraid they would not refund our money and then we would be stuck there. At that point they may have messed with our stuff or just made our experience worse than it already was. We only slept there! We spent days on Kellys Island and Put in Bay and went to Cedar Point. We made every effort to wear ourselves out so we could sleep when we got back to hell. I won't even mention how horrible the beds and blankets were.....oh wait I just did. In closing, I would just like to wish the new owners luck in making this place a nice motel to stay in. I would really love to see it someday!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank mrs212
Mark W, Owner at Surf Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2015

I'm sorry you had a bad stay with the previous owner. My wife and I have put a lot of work into Surf Motel. New paint, new mattress and friendly customer service. We would welcome you to come back and try us since your last stay seven years ago.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

I've been watching the new owners of this property really start to turn the corner in terms of what this place may be like when the season gets underway. The new owners are overhauling all the rooms and making major changes - for the better. If the reviews have made you nervous, I urge you to give this little gem a second look. They are across the street from the lake - amazing, unobstructed view. Darling little cabins, along with hook up sites for campers AND the motel is looking fantastic.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank amhlawyer
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Decent hotel, was clean for the week we stayed, pretty nice pool and the room service was adequate. The hotel is located very close to the ferry Kelly's island, the ferry to put in bay is a bit of a drive however. We stayed here for a week while we went to cedar point and the African safai(which the hotel owner also gave us lots of coupons to put in bay and the African Safari,as well as cedar point) would stay again for sure!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank steven109
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I read the previous reviews before staying and was a little afraid. But rest assured, this motel is very nice for the price. The room was clean and we had no problems with anything there. We felt safe and relaxed and really enjoyed our stay there. Yes, the towels weren't the softest but I can think of worse things that could have been wrong with our stay. The only thing I would add is a coffee maker in the room and curtains with the blinds in the window. If you're looking for a short vacation and plan on spending most of your time outside versus inside, this is a great deal for your money.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank giraffeteach
Reviewed 1 July 2013

one of the worst places we ever stayed, room smelled like dis-infectant or bug spray so bad i woke up with sore throat, was going to stay 2 nights but changed our mind, could not get out of there fast enough.We will not return if it was free.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marblehead
South Beach Resort Hotel
#1 of 7 in Put in Bay
Lake Point Motel
Lake Point Motel
#2 of 7 in Marblehead

Been to Surf Motel? Share your experiences!