“Looked good to me”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Marblehead
Ligonier, PA
“Looked good to me”
Reviewed 18 June 2007

After reading the reviews on about this hotel, I decided to go out and see for myself before my family meets in August for a family reunion.

I accompanied the girl at the front desk as she inspected the rooms that had just been cleaned. I found all three to be clean and nice. The price is a little high, but the grounds include 2 nice swimming pools, a kid's pool, a playground, volleyball and tennis courts, fishing pier, and a nice view of the lake.

The girl at the front desk couldn't have been any nicer. She talked with me for over 20 minutes suggesting places to visit and places to eat.

The choices of places to eat are limited, but you're not that far from Sandusky where the choices are plentiful. I ate a nice cafe in Marblehead which was recommended by the front desk.

On the way out, I stopped and talked to people who were already staying there and they were satisfied.

Stayed June 2007
3 Thank cish39

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
dayton
Reviewed 15 June 2007

The advertisement for this resort is a bit misleading. They advertise
a swimming beach. The beach is a small parcel of land on a hill. During our stay, no one used it. The lake where you were supposed to be able to swim was filled with snakes. There was no one swimming in the lake & not because it was too cold. It was because there were snakes in it. The outdoor hot tub was not hot & the jacuzzi in our room did not work. There used to be a restaurant on the grounds, but it has been closed down, so you have to drive quite a distance to find a place to eat. We asked for a microwave, but never received one. We left early in the morning one day & when we returned at 2 in the afternoon, the maid had still not cleaned our room. When we inquired about it, we received a nasty reply. The play area & 3 swimming pools are the nicest parts about the place. If the price was
a little lower, I wouldn't have had a problem with the place. It was clean enough & our grandchildren enjoyed playing outside, so it was worth the trip, but we would not go back again.

• Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank scottDayton
ohio
Reviewed 14 June 2007

My husband and I stayed at the resort near the end of May and could not decide what to do each day(we were there for only three.). The staff was very helpful in recomending what area attractions might interest us.We are older and enjoy historical sites, antiqueing and just enjoying the natural beauty of an area.
The staff gave us so much information and suggestions, that we plan on returning in August with our grandchildren.
The resort has a variety of activities for young and old on the property and the rooms on the lakeside have a beautiful view, not to mention one of the bigger jacuzzis that we have had the pleasure of having in our room. The staff is small and very friendly, they tried to accomidate our request in as timely fashion as they could. Look forward to returning in the late summer.

• Liked — variety of activities on and near the resort
  • Disliked — no store in walking distance
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank brucie770
Birmingham, AL
Reviewed 17 May 2007

Two of my co-workers and I checked in on a business trip. By the time we got there it was almost 7pm. The "resort" restaurant was closed down so we went elsewhere for dinner. By the time we returned the lobby was closed. When we settled into our rooms we discovered that they were dirty. In my room there was hair in the sink and on the sheets. There was a piece of half-eaten hard candy stuck to one of the headboards in plain sight. Around 10:30pm, my room (the same room with the hair and candy )flooded due to an upstairs toilet. The "maintenance" guy finally showed up with only towels and was unable to provide me with another room. He said I would have to wait until morning when the lobby opened. That was the last straw. My co-workers and I packed up and headed to the Hampton Inn (located on HWY 250...much nicer). It has been just over a week. We have left several messages for the general manager but he will not return our calls. We are having to dispute the charge for my room with the credit card company and will be filing a complaint with the better business bureau. The only person that I recommend visiting that dump is the local health inspector.

• Stayed May 2007, travelled on business
4 Thank jessadon
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 14 August 2006

After booking two rooms to accommodate 6 adults we arrived at the hotel to find that only one room had been reserved in our name. We were told that we would have to pay for the additional room to accommodate our party. Eventually the manager straightened the misunderstanding out and we were given the two rooms we had already reserved (and paid for!). However, on checkout, the woman at the front desk informed us that the second room we had been given was actually an upgrade from our original reservation and again, we needed to pay $130! Again, the manager corrected the situation and we were able to check out without being gouged...I would like to say that maybe our experience was an isolated one, but every time we walked into the lobby there was someone at the desk with a complaint. It's a nice place but they really need to work on their organization and customer service, we'll never go back.

• Liked — location, views
  • Disliked — The staff
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with friends
5 Thank carjohn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marblehead
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Port Clinton
#4 of 7 in Put in Bay
Beachfront Resort
Beachfront Resort
#10 of 17 in Port Clinton

Been to South Beach Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!