“The 2nd worse place I've ever stayed!!!”

The Lighthouse Resort
The Lighthouse Resort
Ranked #4 of 4 Marblehead B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 August 2009

Although a nightmare stay at the Canel Street "Days Inn" in New Orleans still hold the title as the worse "rip off" I've ever experienced, this place is firmly in second place. My wife and I took our 9 YO son to the lake for a quick overnighter and decided to "wing it"...bad idea. This place looked OK from the street and the room was tolarable, had the rate been around $59 per night. The problem is, I was fool enough to drop $178 ($159 before tax) on this dump!!

The room had a small frig and a microwave which was nice but that was where it ended. The pillows smelled like the guy that stayed there the night before and the bed was without a doubt the hardest, most uncomfortable bed that I have ever slept on. I'm not kidding when I say I would have been more comfortable on the floor. The sheet set had no fitted sheet only a flat sheet wrapped around the matress, (which was wrapped by some sort of child proof plastics liner). It was sleeping in a baby bed. Not sure what they were trying to protect...the $39.00 matress??

The room was as loud as it gets with people running up and down the hall until after 1:00 am. In the morning after prying myself out of the thing they called a bed, we discovered that not only was the complementary shampoo bottle 1/2 used, but so was the mouthwash AUGH!!!! Of course we brough our own, but just the fact that the staff would leave those items for the next guest , even on accident, is unacceptable on so many levels. Needsless to say, with nasty smelling pillows, sheets that didn't fit the bed and 1/2 used mouthwash bottles, we elected to skip leaving a gratuity in the thoughtful provided "house keeping gratuity envelope"...They must be joking right??!!.

We all showed and still had a problem mentally feeling clean so we swam in the lake to shake the feeling.

Maybe if I had only paid what the place was worth, I could have looked past a few things but for what I dropped, I left feeling like an idiot!! If you decide to stay here beware...you were warned!!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
7  Thank truefan8717

Reviewed 28 June 2009

We had a very negative experience staying here. The rooms are ok, but not exceptionally clean. The beds have vinly waterproof pads (like what is used for potty training) on them that is not only disgusting, but is extremely warm. They only cover the middle section of the bed and move around and make noise everytime you move. Also, the beds don't have a fitted sheet just a loose sheet over the mattress and "pad".The rooms are not airconditioned until a special switch is flipped behind the front desk. The halls were not airconditioned either so it was extrememly warm. The pool water was so murky you could not see the bottom and it was only a 5 foot deep pool. The customer service was not good at all!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank aspengirl1
Reviewed 1 September 2008

The Lighthouse Resort was okay -- it was clean, so I wasn’t worried about bugs or anything like that, but it was just an over-priced hotel. We paid $120 a night for 2 adults in a 2xking room.

Checking in was an experience. The front door has two signs. One says "Lighthouse Resort Registration and Restaurant Entrance" the second says "All alcoholic beverages consumed must be purchased on premises." Walking inside, we were immediately in a small hallway that was chaos. There was waiters and waitresses and another hallway that went both ways. There was no sign as to which way was the front desk, but looking down the new hallway was the entrance to the restaurant on sight. My husband decided that was the way to go, so we took a right (in case for any reason you might actually stay here.)

The lobby is really a gift shop filled with souvenirs of a very large price range. If you are a parent checking in after a long drive, I'd probably just send one adult to check in, it's a tiny area, and things could quickly become needed or broken. (Even I, at 29, was thinking that I may need a cute frame to take home.) Check-in took about 10 minutes -- note that you need to have your license plate number when checking in, a car make and state will not suffice.

When booking the rooms, I had been very interested to hear that we were staying at a resort. I would not consider this a resort. It is across the street from Lake Erie, but there is not a beach area, it is a rocky area that you can look out over. There are no picnic tables or sitting areas. It's a patch of grass in front of some rocks entering the Lake. (A very pretty view of the Lake, but not something that most people would spend more than 10-15 minutes looking at.)

We had 2 kings size beds in our room, and a table with 2 chairs. It was nice with beach artwork on the walls. There was a microwave, a coffee maker and a mini fridge that had can holders for the, um, non-alcoholic beverages one may bring (pack) into their room. There was a note stating who our housekeepers were, and that inventory had been taken of our room, anything missing would be charged to our credit card.

There was a pool and a playground area that looked nice, but it was a busy weekend so we did not have time to enjoy the pool.

The beds were the worst beds I think I have ever slept in. I'm sure that there are far worse out there, and there were no bugs, stains, or hairs on them, but they were horrible. We actually switched beds the second night, and still we uncomfortable. I like a firmer bed than my husband, so often when we travel he will love the bed and I hate it, or vice versa, but we both slept horribly both nights.

There were two major issues that I had with the hotel. The first was a safety issue. I will preface this by saying that my husband is an electrician whose specialty is in parking lot signs and light pole maintenance, so I realize that I am overly aware of problems, issues, and safety hazards in parking lots. However, at ten o'clock at night, none of the outside lights were working. I had to walk out to my car to get something, and I was concerned for my safety. I could not see anything, at all. I asked an employee if anyone was aware of this, and the lights came on very soon after, but it should not take someone asking to get the lights on. It could have been that a time clock needed reset, but as a resort/hotel and restaurant, it is poor business practice to leave oneself up to such a liability.

The second major issue that I had was that I did not want my room to be cleaned. We were only staying 2 nights, and in the effort of being 'green' (and not wanting anyone in my stuff) I left the "do not disturb" sign on my door before heading out to explore. The housekeeping staff went ahead and came in my room, cleaned, and restocked our towels. They did the same to my family's room. I realize it was a young staff, but in no way did we indicate we were problem patrons, and it said do not disturb. Nothing was missing, but I would have had everything zipped up and the bed halfway made if I knew they were going to insist upon cleaning the room.

The stay was okay. We were in town for a wedding, and were able to stay near our friends and family. I would probably not return to the hotel by choice if I were in the area, but if I were to go to another wedding that this was the hotel everyone was at, I'd probably suck it up and stay here. I would not recommend this to be the place to stay if you come to Marblehead.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
3  Thank jmariegobucks
Reviewed 23 September 2007

My husband and I decided to spend a day over at Kelley's Island for Island wine fest and needed accommodations for just one night..... knowing all too well we wouldn't find a place on the island we opted to find someplace close to the ferry in Marblehead. Well, we chose right with the Lighthouse. We arrived early around 1:30 pm but the very nice hotel clerk let us check in right away. Our room was very clean and well equipped with a small kitchenette and the rate was reasonable at $109 for a King bed. The best part was the Kelley's Island ferry was only a short 5 minute drive down the road. It made for a perfect day spent over on the island!! We plan on staying here again but probably for entire weekend next time.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 10 August 2007

We visited the Lighthouse Inn and Resort in Marblehead Ohio with 2 other families in July 2007. The accomodations were about 2 star rating. The rooms were clean and the staff was friendly. The best thing about the hotel was the location. It is right across the street from the lake and it had lovely views and was convenient to all of the attractions in the area, as well as walking distance to Marblehead Lighthouse. There is also a nice park less than a mile or so up the street. We found it strange that our credit card was charged for the length of our visit upon check-in instead of upon check-out like at regular hotels. As a family of 3, we chose the kitchenette room for about $130/night which basically meant that it had a counter, microwave, larger refrigerator and 2 complete sets of utensils (bowls, plates, forks, spoons, etc.). One of the families we were travelling with had a family suite with a bunk bed on the first floor. They ended up having to change rooms because the bunk bed was so rickety and there was a strong musty smell in the room. The most disappointing thing about the stay was the swimming pool. Although the management claims that the pool is heated and cleaned daily, we found that it was very cold and filled with bugs. (If you didn't already guess, you should also know that there are A LOT of bugs around the lake--it's pretty amazing/gross.) Also, the children's play area is extremely tiny, just 1 very simple play structure. I'm not sure if this establishment could really be referred to as a resort quite yet. If we were to visit Marblehead again, we would probably not stay here again--we would probably try out one other other more established resorts or hotels in the area. This hotel just seemed like it was getting established and organized. But, the location and friendly staff gives it good potential.

3  Thank akfs
Reviewed 17 August 2003

After a terrible experience at the Stephen Daniels House in Salem, Marblehead Inn was an oasis, sheer perfection! Clean, tastefully decorated, with beautiful grounds, Marblehead Inn is among the nicest accomodations I have had the pleasure to enjoy. I would recommend Marblehead Inn wholeheartedly. Sincerely, Deborah Bendt, RN

6  Thank I3250RFdeborahb
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marblehead
South Beach Resort Hotel
#2 of 7 in Marblehead
Surf Motel
Surf Motel
#2 of 3 in Marblehead

Been to The Lighthouse Resort? Share your experiences!