“Quick lunch place with a wine store / gift shop”

House of Wines and Dining
Ranked #20 of 81 Restaurants in Marietta
somewhere
“Quick lunch place with a wine store / gift shop”
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Nice place for a quick lunch during the week. It was good but not rant and rave great. Prompt service but can get busy during peak lunch hours during the week. Nicely maintained building, moderately sized dinning area. Didn't have a chance to sample the wine, review is for lunch only.

• Visited September 2013

Dunbar, West Virginia
“Great food - choice of drink”
Reviewed 20 November 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

At the House of Wines, you can shop for the wine or beer of your choice in the adjacent store and walk it into the dining portion of the building. There, they will pour and cap the drink for you. The food was excellent!

Visited October 2013
Michigan
“Excellent meal”
Reviewed 2 November 2013

We had to stop overnight in Marietta and I researched restaurants on TripAdvisor and found this one and we are glad we did. First of all, the place is unique: a wine and craft beer shop that has eating areas for the restaurant in three different areas of the store. We were seated in the area with the bar. It was a pleasantly decorated and lighted area. Our meal was excellent. The soup of the day was New England Clam Chowder. It was as good as we had in New England. My wife had the seared scallops with mushroom risotto and the scallops were perfectly done. I ordered the sweet potato gnocchi with red cabbage and pancetta. It was exceptional. The wine special of the day was $3.25 a glass! We never order desert unless it appears to be worthy. They had at least three choices that fit the bill but we settled on the apple and pumpkin bars. Very good. All in all a wonderful meal. I only wish this restaurant was located near us...we would definitely be regulars.

• Visited October 2013
West Virginia
“Horrible service, mediocre food, good wine”
Reviewed 31 August 2013

We dined at the House of Wines last night for the first time. We were happily met by a host and hostess in the store who helped show us to the imported wines and directed us to our table; having recently returned from a trip to Italy we were happy to find a nice selection of Italian wines. We did not have a reservation and were seated to the right when you walk in the front door and it looked like a crude bar with all guests in jeans so my husband and I were overdressed. It looked nothing like the photo on tripadvisor so not sure if there is a nicer area where we could've been seated. The booth where we were had a huge rip in the seat and a bumper type padding on the wall that hit at a very uncomfortable place for my 6'1" husband and my 5'5" self. Once seated we were told our server would be with us shortly and she was there probably after 5+ minutes. She was not helpful when we ordered as we had to prompt her for the special (apparently only one?) and did not seem to be listening as I had to tell her twice what I wanted. Then we did not see her for 40 minutes. Finally my husband asked the host where our food was and when he returned he blamed "computer error" and that the order did not make it to the kitchen. We were not irate in any way and were understanding. Finally our salads were delivered with the food coming about 15 minutes after them. Salads were not anything spectacular. I had a Caesar salad that tasted like the dressing was from a bottle but I was hungry enough to eat it. My husband's cranberry and spinach salad was so warm it was almost like it had been heated up. The entrees were disappointing. I had the special, a salmon, and it was ok with new potatoes that seemed really old; nothing special in the preparation or presentation or taste. Again, I was starving after waiting almost an hour to eat so I ate it. My husband's flatiron steak appeared to have been warmed up as the outside was slightly warm but the inside was cold. It included some sort of risotto "cake" with it and I tried a bite and wanted to spit it out. After that I kept smelling it on his plate and I wanted to throw up. It smelled and tasted horrible. I waited tables for 10 years and fully believe the order mess-up was the server's fault. Even if it was not, why did she not check on our salads and meals as she saw us sitting there for 40 minutes?? The host told us "sorry" but oddly enough that did nothing to change the situation. When we received our bill, it showed it was opened at the time our orders were taken so I am unsure how the order did not go through unless the server opened the ticket and failed to send the orders through. The server also charged us around 33% more for our bottle of wine than it cost so my husband, after waiting for the server to return to the table and not, had to go to the host and ask him to fix that. After more complaining, the hostess finally removed our salads from the ticket (maybe 10% of total bill). The server stood by my husband the whole time he was there like she was going to attack him if he said anything bad. My husband and I routinely tip 20% minimum but he gave her around 4% and I told him that was 4% too much. It was a terrible, terrible experience which is such a disappointment as we were excited to try this restaurant after reading the good reviews and as we get tired of frequenting the limited fine dining options in this area. We won't return.

• Visited August 2013
Akron, Ohio
“Lovely lunch on the Muskingham River”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Friends have just moved to Marietta and they keep returning to this little spot since it has the best food in town. They are pretty sophisticated on that score, so their recommendation means a lot. The four of us thoroughly enjoyed our lunch at an outdoor table overlooking the Muskingham River. No bugs, just pleasant breezes and excellent food served by a very patient and knowledgeable waiter. After lunch we browsed the wine shop. We are much more interested in craft beers than in wine and the shop carried some of our favorites, all at state minimum prices.

• Visited August 2013