“This Hotel is really a Motel...”

Magnuson Hotel by the River
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Marietta
Reviewed 6 August 2014

In town for a family function and used Priceline to get me the best deal on a 2 star hotel. This hotel is really a motel with access to each room from the outside with parking right outside your room. The front desk person told me it used to be a Best Western. The two women working the front desk were very nice and helpful. They took the time to explain the best routes in and around the town. The room was small, dated but clean (and no bugs!). The bathroom was clean but had a small (round) older toilet. The free continental breakfast was simple but good. The air conditioner worked well. But this is a motel and a busy road runs right by it so there’s road noise. The town of Marietta is nice and friendly too. The beautiful Muskingum River runs right through the town. Overall I liked this hotel but would probably try for something else next time I visited the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back. A busy road runs right next to the motel and the motel has other buildin...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank gwevans

Reviewed 11 November 2013

I play roller derby so I travel, we said at this hotel because it was recommended by the home team.

Room was clean, no bed bugs (we always check). We needed extra pillows and the pillow cases didn't even look clean, they smelled like people's hair, and they looked like they just came out of a dirty used room. I took a shower that night and there was no soap but I brought my own hair products, I did manage. The coffee machine was also broken.

I forgot to grab my receipt when leaving but I checked my bank when I got home and I just had a feeling to check my banking account but I'm glad I did because instead of charging me $185, they charged me $2000!!!!!!

I called the hotel and the front desk man was rude and laughed at me when I told him my problem! I ask him to look up my info to see what I was charged, he said at there was not receipt, since the last front desk man took them. When I finally got him to take down my information, it took him forever to jot it down, you could hear the irration in his voice.

As I'm letting my other team mates know about what happened to me, so they could check their accounts, the owner Dave calls me. I told him what had happened and he told me I there is no way that my bank account looks like that! He proceed to tell me they only charged so much amount, and that when his computers talk to my bank he promises that it won't say that.

REALLY $2,000.00?!?!? I can see if maybe $200.00 pending/ cleared but not what they are trying to charge me!!!!

• Stayed: November 2013
3  Thank Dukenukeher
david-fitzgerald, General Manager at Magnuson Hotel by the River, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Messages from financial institutions are sometimes difficult to interpret.

Our guest believed that we had charged $2,000 for her room. She emailed me the bank information from which she drew her conclusion. The $181.02 charge for her 2 rooms was there. What I also saw was $2000 being removed from one of her accounts and transferred into another of her accounts. There was no explanation for the transfer.

She has had time to contact her bank to get her questions answered. She hasn't responded to my phone message or email. I can only conclude that the bank explained what they did with her accounts and she is satisfied that we didn't charge her improperly.

I am sorry that our front desk clerk was not helpful when she called about her bank problem. There is no excuse for laughing while a guest tries to explain a frustrating problem.

The guest was also disappointed with her room. The coffee machine didn't work. The extra pillows that were taken to the guest seemed dirty to her. There was no soap. It's fortunate that I saw this review or I wouldn't have known that we had these problems to correct.

The coffee machine was able to work normally the next day when it was tested.

Spare pillows and clean pillow cases are stored separately and put together as needed. The manager who took the pillows to the guest's room didn't notice the problem when she put the pillow cases on the pillows.

We need to make certain that each room is given a last look before it is considered ready to rent so that everything, such as soap, is in its proper place.

David Fitzgerald General Manager
Magnuson Hotel by the River

Reviewed 14 October 2013

We reserved a room at the Magnuson for two nights a week before arriving. When we arrived at 4:30 PM, we were told the room would not be ready for and hour. When we got back at 6:00 PM the room was ready and clean. There was no soap in the bathroom and we did not bring any. The next day we left to tour the area and did not get back to the motel until 5PM. Our room door was open and the cleaning crew was in our room. We had to stand in the parking lot for 30 minutes until the finished. The next morning there was no hot water to take a shower. I called the desk and was told he would get Dave and check into it. They called back and said the pilot light was out and didn't know when it would be fixed. At check out I told Dave the owner I was disappointed with the stay. He made a few excuses and when I told him we would leave a review on tripadvisor he offered us $5 to not review his motel. Good service is worth more to me than $5, Dave.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Harleyden
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Stayed there one night, we had chosen this hotel because we thought it was a Best Western, when we found out it itsn't anymore we decided to stay there anyway.
We were a little bit disappointed when we arrived, because from their website we had imagined it would be closer to the Muskingum River and with much more grass areas on the property. In fact the hotel is alongside the street and to go walk your dog to the river you have to use an adjacent municipal park. And it's not a flat ground, it goes down (and up to go back to the hotel) so if you have bad legs that's not that easy. We went down to the river only once, while we had expected to spend much more time there.
Anyway, our room was in the back, which was nice (facing the parking lot and trees, and with the park right there on our left), very quiet. Room was clean, large and quite comfortable. Old TV with bad reception for some channels but we managed to find something to watch so that was OK. We were on first floor, there are outside chairs so you can seat and enjoy the evening breeze.
Historic downtown is really just a few miles away, a very easy drive straight on Front Street.
Breakfast was pretty good, but the breakfast area is very small, just a few tables. Fortunately we were the only ones. Good coffee, cereals and waffles - the man in the lobby kept coming to check if we needed something else, and made our waffles before we even asked anything. So nice of him.
So in final we liked this hotel for its pleasant / casual / family atmosphere, for its location, and for this nice, friendly breakfast. We would come back.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank CathyAnne
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We are 2 adults with 2 dogs and this was the perfect place to stay. Room was roomy, and clean. Near river and lots of walking space for the dogs. Office staff friendly and gave us ideas of what to while in Marietta. Town small enough to get around easily. breakfast was good. There is a Farmers Market down the street at the Fairgrounds on Sat mornings. good value for your money.

Room Tip: we had 2 dogs and requested a ground floor and they were able to meet our needs.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I was happy with my stay last weekend. Had a king size bed and paid about $90, which was cheaper than every where else. The sheets were brand new and room was kept clean. The breakfast was decent in the morning, but the man working was very friendly. The hotel is not necessarily right on the river by close.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jmaxeden
Reviewed 22 July 2013

This is a fairly inexpensive hotel will a good location. Do not expect luxury, of course, but the room we had was clean, spacious, and had a refrigerator and the other amenities you would expect. The service was friendly, and the breakfast was fairly good, a bit above what could be expected for the price. Recommended.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple