“The Lafayette - Old World”
Review of The Lafayette

The Lafayette
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Marietta
“The Lafayette - Old World”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

My sisters, a friend and I went to visit Marietta, Oh and decided to stay at the Lafayette. So glad we did, it was a beautiful old hotel. It was very clean and well kept for its age. With lots of old furniture, which I would call antiques, and a lot of history and stories to go with it. Yes the furniture might smell musty and the carpet looks worn, but the stories that place could probably tell... It has been flooded at least 3 times. Our room was on the river side and I never really heard too much noise. That was even with a wedding reception being held there and a lot of their guest staying there. We stayed on the 3rd floor, which if you know the history you know what I am talking about, but all was good. It was well worth the stay!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
CThrasher101, Manager at The Lafayette, responded to this review, 23 September 2015
Christina Thrasher, Director of Sales

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I've read several reviews of this property, and some of them make me just shake my head. This is a lovely place! Somebody complains that the furniture in the lobby isn't antique, just old. Well, the hotel doesn't claim it's antique. It fits the hotel, it's clean and well-cared-for, and very comfortable ... exactly what the place aspires to be. Somebody else whines that the rooms are small. Yup -- some of them are -- the least expensive. So pay more if that's what you want. I could go on, but then I become just a whiner myself.

Look -- this is a great place to stay, people. We were going to stay at a chain motel near the highway but were walking around the historic downtown area, stopped in for a look, and were enchanted. We asked at the desk about availability. Well we got a room for $4 a night more than at an inexpensive chain 5 miles away. And we got free parking. And we got a free cooked breakfast (instead of the stale bagels at the chain). And we got several really nice restaurants nearby, some right on the banks of the Ohio River. And we got all kinds of museums and parks and cultural events and shopping within a short walk.

Our room was indeed very small. But it was super clean, nicely decorated (if the desk wasn't an antique, it did a really good job pretending to be one...) And the bathroom was tiny, too. But fer cryin' out loud, all we were using the room for was sleeping and showering, not ballroom dancing! Wide open spaces doesn't really come into it.

Marietta is a historic old river town, the oldest settlement west of the Alleghenies, It's an old steamboat town and the hotel overlooks a beautiful stretch of the Ohio River. There's lots to see and do in Marietta, and The Lafayette is the only reasonable place to stay. Wonderful public spaces, fine restaurant, nice bar, comfortable rooms. I've been lucky enough to travel to some of the world's most interesting places, have written eight travel books, and have stayed in all kinds of accommodations, so I'm not a neophyte at this. People who nit-pick this kind of hotel either hit it on a very bad day (which can happen anywhere, including The Ritz) or they're stuck someplace in 1930s movie musicals with lavish Art Deco hotel lobbies and Astaire & Rogers waltzing around the furniture.

Normal people will love staying here.

Room Tip: Rooms on the river side cost a little more but are quieter. But this is a small town. There's n...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank FamilyTravelSeries
Huntington, West Virginia
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the lafayette because I heard it was a neat place with cool things to look at, We'll that's about all it is. The hotel has seen better days, the rooms are small and smell musty. Furniture is not as antique as you would think but just worn out. And as far as service goes good luck with that one, you had better not be in a hurry if you go to the restaurant because it takes forever. I thought I would give it a shot and was very disappointed.

• Stayed July 2014
Lake Wales
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We were traveling with our grand girls to visit family in Northeastern Ohio.
We wanted the girls to see some of the surrounding areas that their Grandpa had worked on the bridges in his younger days. :)
Truly, a remarkable old grand dame of a historical hotel.Grandpa enjoyed the old libation room, it gave him some moments of respite from the long drive.
What a unique experience for all of us!

Room Tip: Although our room may have had a rooftop view...we were actually able to still see the river and the...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Theresa B
Bay Village, Ohio
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I've stayed there twice and I think overall it is a nice hotel. As you can tell from the title there are a few things to be aware of but I'll talk about what I like first. There is a restaurant and bar in the hotel. The food is surprisingly good with very reasonable prices. You can get anything from hamburgers and sandwiches to filet mignon and red snapper. This last time I got the crab cakes and they were awesome! They have a good beer selection which I appreciated including Great Lakes Beer. The room I got this last time had a king sized bed which was very comfortable and the room was pretty big. The room and bathroom were clean although the furniture in my opinion is a bit rundown. Not 'antique' just rundown. The TV's were older non-flat screens but they worked fine although they were small. Overall I was satisfied with the room. The location is very good with lots of little shops and restaurants within walking distance including a nice paved path next to the river. Also in the morning we got a voucher for a free breakfast of eggs, breakfast meat, bread/english muffin, and hashed browns/home fries which was awesome.

Now just a couple of things to be aware of. My room faced the street this time whereas last time it was on the river side. The traffic noise was very noticeable (ie - loud) even on the fourth floor. If you stay there make sure you ask for a room that does not face the street. There is only one elevator and its the slowest I've ever seen. Patience is needed. The building does not have central air. Each room has a wall air conditioner. There are some really small rooms at the hotel so if that is not something you want make sure you inquire specifically about room size when you book. And the one thing that really affected my trip this time was a couple in the next room that were having an all out knock down, drag out fight for about 3 hours at night which included yelling, screaming, door slamming, threats and cursing. It was terrible and after three phone calls to the front desk security was sent up and got them to settle down. The argument was not the hotel's fault (although their response was slow) but highlight the fact that the walls are kind thin since it sounded like we were right there. I ended up getting about 4 hours of sleep which kind of spoiled the whole stay.

Room Tip: Rooms by the river are quieter. Ask about room size since some are small.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Greg W
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We really enjoyed our overnight stay in the Lafayette Riverboat Hotel. The hotel has a very interesting history and lots of fun and interesting features-artifacts. Our room was nicely decorated in period style. The bathroom was on the small side(old hotel) and the gray, burgandy and pink decor was ...interesting! The room was comfortable, although we had hoped to get a riverview room, however two convention groups made that impossible. It is not pure luxury, but very nice! We loved wandering around and using the beautiful lobby, Gun Room Restaurant(a great complementary breakfast) and the Riverview Lounge. Location is central to old Marietta, Ohio, and for those wanting to walk-jog on the river walk trail.
We hope to return and to be able to stay longer to seek out more of Marietta's offerings. So much history there!

Room Tip: Call ahead and if you prefer "grander" views, request one of the riverview rooms or suites...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Ohio
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I stayed here while looking for a place to move into in Marietta. It is an old building with very few amenities, but it is conveniently located downtown on the river. The price was decent and the hotel, rooms, and bathrooms are kept with antiques which makes for a unique stay. Only word of caution is the rooms and bathrooms are extremely small; this was not an issue for us.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ut_jd
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marietta
The Blennerhassett Hotel
#1 of 11 in Marietta
Best Western Plus Marietta Hotel
Fairfield Inn & Suites Marietta
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Marietta

Been to The Lafayette? Share your experiences!