“Ehh...”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Nashville, Tennessee
“Ehh...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2011

I recently spent one night at the Hyatt Place in Mason at the end of a business trip. Having stayed at a fantastic, brand-new Hyatt Place in Milford, CT, a while back, I was excited to see this property.

The property is a renovated AmeriSuites located just off Mason-Montgomery Rd. Chick-fil-A, Carrabba's, Graeters, and several other restaurants are located nearby. The lobby area is trendy and inviting, and the check-in kiosks were quick and painless.

The room itself was spacious and modern with a semi-separate living room with L-shaped couch, ottoman, desk, and wet bar. There was also a large flat-screen TV split between the bedroom and living area. The room appeared generally clean, but I noticed several spots and stains on the carpet, and the refrigerator had a strong odor of whatever food had been in there last.

The bedding was comfortable, but the A/C was sporadic and never really cooled the room. The internet was fast and reliable, but the power port at the TV console kept tripping, making charging phones and laptops difficult. The bathroom was quite small with a separate vanity, and the fan made a pretty loud grumble when running. Plus, the doors are quite thin, so you can clearly hear everything going on in the hallway. Breakfast the next morning consisted of cereals, fruits, and pastries with other dishes available for an additional charge.

The worst part of the experience happened at checkout. As soon as I checked out, I realized I left my cell phone in my room. I returned to the front desk and asked if I could run up to the room to retrieve the phone, showing my ID to prove it was me that just checked out. The young man gave me a key to go get the phone, but he loudly announced, 'this card will only work for 10 minutes, so get in and get out.' Seriously?!?! He honestly made me feel like I was trying to pull a scam or something. Incredibly disrespectful.

Net, the hotel itself is just OK. There are better options in Mason (like the new Hilton Garden Inn next door) that would probably be a better choice.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Brad A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2011

This hotel is in beautiful Mason, OH. It's very centrally located to fabulous restaurants and shopping! The room was very spacious and comfortable!!!!! Continental breakfast along with a starbucks in the facility also. Should you want other dining options, there are TONS along the main strip. CHeck out Graeter's Ice Cream while you're here also.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2011

The rooms ate outdated. The bathroom has one switch which is the light and the fan so you will hear noise if you just want the light on...so annoying. Also the air conditioner/heat control is on the floor and makes so much noise rooms have no microwaves but refrigerator and last nut not least the food is HORRIBLE... if you want a nicer hotel with good food nice rooms with microwaves/ refrigerators overall great service, go to Hilton Place next door

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank twashme
pittsburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2011

We booked the ride and roar package for a family get together. The location was great. The room was very nice, clean and a good size for my family of 4 including 2 teenage boys. I would have given it 5 stars if the breakfast was better. It consisted of cereal, toast, english muffins, bagels and fruit. A hot breakfast would have been nice or at least waffles. The pool was ok, nothing great. Overall though, I would stay here again.

Portage, Indiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2011

We stayed here for the first time on the Ride and Roar package. When we arrived our first room smelled musty and moldy. The shower curtain in the small bathroom was all pink with mold. I asked to have our room moved and they did, but the bathroom still smelled of mold. They changed the shower curtain, where I thought the smell was coming from, and we returned later the evening. The room still smelled and it was coming from the air conditioning unit which they were currently replacing throughout the entire building. The unit had mold and dust all over the front of it and it smelled horribly. We stayed one night and I couldn't take the smell any longer. I was frustrated and did not want to complain, only wanted to enjoy my family vaca. I called and spoke to a manager Brad to see if they could move my room AGAIN but he proceeded to tell me that this was a hotel and what did I expect and I probably would not be satisfied with any other room since they already moved me and I still wasn't satisfied. We checked 3 other rooms on another floor and they all smelled, the manager even agreed that my room smelled better then these other rooms! I had high expectations for this hotel, we have stayed at a Hyatt before in Indianapolis and it was great! We ended up cutting our vacation short and leaving. I had to pay full price for the tickets that we used and for 1 nights stay at $85. The hotel originally goes for $129.99 a night on the weekends! I would never stay here again.

2 Thank wink1629
Oregon, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2011

We enjoyed the extra space in the rooms. The staff was really nice and helpful. The rooms were very clean and well kept. Breakfast was okay- it had what we needed to get going. This hotel does not have a lot of rooms so it was not too crowded and even though it was full the breakfast rush for Kings Island was doable even with our four little kids. The pool however grossed me out- it was indoors and the floor around the pool was slimy and moldy. The location of the hotel is fantastic for a Kings Island trip and has fantastic access to I-71 without any highway traffic noise. We will consider this hotel again when we go back to Cincinnati for sure.

1 Thank freck6
Springfield, OH
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

We booked our hotel online with a credit card and stated we needed guaranteed late arrival. We got our confirmation and were excited to stay at this location for our 3rd year in a row. However, we were FRUSTRATED when we arrived at 10:15 PM. We went to check in, only to find out they had sold our room to someone else. We would have to stay somewhere else. We had 3 of our kids with us and we had been at Kings Island for 12 hours. We were tired, needed showers, and just wanted our room. The manager didn't even care about our trouble and said by law I just have to find you another room. They called around to 7 hotels before they could find us somewhere to stay. They wanted to get us a room that only had the sleeping capacity for four people and we had five people. We had to call back from the hotel they moved us to in order to get them to finally approve two rooms for our family. They were only going to pay for one at the new hotel until we informed them it was against fire code to have five people in that room. Also to our surprise, the hotel they put us in didn't have continental breakfast like the one we were supposed to be staying at. Now my husband had to get up extra early to go get us some breakfast for our family, after we had gotten to bed after midnigh,t on a trip that should have allowed us to be in bed by 10:30. We also had the inconvenience of driving an extra 15 minutes to get to this other hotel. They never even offered to give us a free hotel night or anything for our inconvenience and major hassle. The manager had ABSOLUTELY NO SYMPATHY at all. I would never recommend this hotel!!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family