“Tons of birthday fun!”

Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Mason
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Tons of birthday fun!”
Reviewed 16 November 2013

My daughter prefers to go do things as opposed to receiving gifts for her birthday and this year we trekked to just North of Cincinnati to the Great Wolf Lodge with her friends. It did not disappoint. It is by far one of the most family friendly facilities you will find in the Midwest. It can be a bit pricey, but if you go to their website and get on their email list you can receive great discount offers that will literally save you hundreds of dollars. They allow online check-in so when you arrive it is a pretty quick process. A line does typically form so during busy times it can get a bit long, but they get folks through pretty quickly. I really like the loft suite that we reserved. It was awesome to have 1.5 bathrooms and I especially enjoyed the upper loft area for myself and putting all the kids in the lower level. The water park itself is very clean and the lifeguard staff has been trained very well. When we were there, the lines for the slides were very, very long so the girls did it a few times but did get frustrated by the amount of time they were spending in line. It's funny to say, but going to a water park you would think that would be the main attraction...however, the facility has invested a great deal of money into an activity called the Magi Quest that every kid enjoys. You purchase a wand and a game and the kids run around finishing quests and fighting a dragon in the end. I was pretty impressed with the technology. In the arcade, they use scan cards which is very environmentally friendly...however, in my opinion, can be difficult for a child to track how much they have left. It was becoming quite frustrating when one of the employees, Deborah, came over and suggested that after playing a game, the kids check their balance on the automated machines. The kids started doing that and it went much better on keeping track. The final aspect that I would recommend is getting the Paw Pass. It truly does save you money in the long run if you plan on doing a lot of the activities...which are very hard to resist once you are there....so getting the Paw Pass is definitely worth it! All and all it was a great visit and we can hardly wait to come back!

Room Tip: We chose a loft room but they have theme rooms that the kids love too with bunk beds. The descriptio...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank 1TravlinFam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 13 November 2013

First, it's a little off-putting that check-in is not till 4 pm and check-out is 11 am, or something like $40 more if you want a 2 pm checkout. As far as the hotel portion of it goes, I would only give it two stars. I could probably get better service at a $30-40 /night hotel.

First, I'm glad I got a Groupon deal to use for this (had a significant refund into groupon bucks that I just wanted to use up, so this seemed like a good idea) and did not pay full price. I got a $30 restaurant credit with the Groupon, but you can only use it at the Loose Moose. It was $21 and some change for a 20 oz beer, a strawberry margaritta, and an order of loaded (they use the term loaded very loosely) fries. On top of that, the Loose Moose staff was not able to see the $30 credit, so I had to go back to the front desk to straighten that issue out, while my wife just stood there at the bar with her drink and food in front of her and unable to leave. We had $8 and some change left over that we had to use by 11 am the next day. Almost forgot about it and almost had to beg for them to use it just to get my four kids just drinks to go before we went back to the waterpark.

We got a KidKamp suite, not bad, the kids were really excited about it. I have not seen my kids so excited just walking around a hotel. In the morning I noticed that there was only one regular coffee pack in the room, so I called the front desk and asked for a couple more packs. I was told that I could have them, but there were only two people at the front desk and that I would have to come up and get them myself if I wanted them. Ok, so there are a lot of people at the front desk at 9 am and there is no feasible way to contact room/cleaning service to bring them to me, or leave more than just one regular and one decaf coffee pack in each room? Sorry, just not what I expect for a room that usually costs over $300 a night.

So, the hotel is not the best, but the waterpark is great. The entire family had fun (except when waiting for the staff to get stuck people out of the roller coaster water ride) and we ended up staying till about 6 pm on our day of checkout. After Coco Keys, I wanted to try this place out just for one night before any future, longer visits. This place, including the hotel, is much better (cleaner hotel and waterpark, not as crowded, better waterpark rides and activities) than Coco Keys. With only one night, I did not bother getting the kids the magiquest stuff, and there was no loss of entertainment. I assume if we go back for a multiple night stay, we may do that. But even just one evening there is enough, especially since you can use the waterpark from 1 pm on check-in day till close of check-out day (8 pm for us). The only disappointing thing with the waterpark is that the lifeguards and rules are, at times, a bit stringent. We were playing around with our four kids and they blew the whistle on us, and there was no one else around. Then looking at the rules, it says no splashing, horseplaying, etc.

All in all, would probably go back again. If I do, it will probably be another one-nighter. I don't see why I would pay that much for multiple nights when the water park closes at 8 pm and you get that for two days and then can just spend a second night somwhere else a lot cheaper and get better service, if you're not close to home.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank brownja1
Mason, Ohio
Reviewed 12 November 2013

This was our first trip with our 1 and 4 year old boys. The Wolf Den Suite was great and our oldest absolutely loved the den and bunkbeds. Overall it was a basic room, but we were more than pleased. The waterpark, on the other hand, was a bit of a disappointment. The temperature of the air and water were both on the cold side. Once we were wet, we were all shivering, which made it hard to enjoy ourselves. The park is probably best suited for an older family (6+), as there are quite a few slides with height restrictions. Our toddler wanted nothing to do with the water, as it was probably too cold for his liking. Our oldest still had a great time, but we would probably have waited a few more years to make this trip had we known.

Room Tip: We had a second floor wolf den suite. The room itself was great, but hall and 3rd floor noise was R...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Katie D
Florida
Reviewed 5 November 2013

This was our first visit and we had a great experience. The kids loved the magic quest and arcade, but it is pricey since you need to buy the wand & game and of course kids will like other accessories for the wand. The water park is fun but the water was on the cool side and I wish it was bigger or had the option to go outside. The place was packed, we went on fall break. Lifeguards seemed very concerned about taking care of the kids which is great when you have little kids to watch 24/7. The food was surprisingly good and the kids definitely will want to come back.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed 31 October 2013

My husband and I took our 9 month old daughter here for a short two night stay. This was our first trip away as a family so I was a little nervous about the room. We chose to stay in the basic two queen bed suite. It was a spacious room with a couch, coffee table and a small table with two chairs and then the two queen beds. There seemed to be plenty of space for us...but may have gotten crowded with toddlers or older kids. Room was clean enough but I did find a few leftover chips laying on the table and a few on the floor. I'm super weird about things being clean (especially with a 9 month old)...this bothered me a tad but I brought Clorox wipes and wiped everything down myself. As you can imagine things are fairly expensive. The spa...arcade and children's games are obviously an extra charge...but for us with just an infant we didn't have to shell out much for "extra's" other than for our own enjoyment in the arcade ;) The small snack bar in the water park area had decent food at a reasonable price. My husband and I ate here for lunch one day and were actually really satisfied. There are plenty of restaurants close to the lodge if you prefer to venture out. We ate out the first night...and ordered pizza from the on-site pizza place the second night which was also pretty good at a reasonable price. Breakfast bar seemed expensive and not worth it for me...so we passed on that. Our room did have a microwave and a small fridge which did have a tiny freezer section as well. It's nice for keeping some lunch items and beverages if you want to have a meal in the room to save some money. We took snacks with pop/water etc. and it worked out perfectly. The waterpark itself was fantastic. We went at a great time...the whole place was pretty empty. Although we did not get to do much with a 9 month old my husband ventured off and did some of the water slides and literally walked right up and got on the ride with a zero wait time. Our daughter loved the kiddie pools, as well as the lazy river. Life guards seemed very attentive. I actually was afraid to talk or ask them questions at times...I wasn't sure if they were allowed to talk to guests. In some ways...that's comforting. The 8pm story time was super cute for the kids. The hotel is showing some wear...rooms weren't perfect but clean is what matters to me. I will say that we were never offered any type of upgrade or anything like this. Front desk staff as accommodating but not any type of over the top customer service. When I'm paying $200 dollars a night...I kinda want to feel a little special. One thing that I was super excited about was the coupon in the room for a free photo book from shutterfly. That was a super nice touch.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank chellensoph
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 29 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

This was an end of summer party. We loved the outside pool with dj and games and contest for the kids. The pizza was really good. The signage needs to be worked out. It is confusing to determine which lane is for which ride and you end up waiting when you dont need to. Super nice at check in. BRING YOUR ID WITH YOU the person before me didn't have hers, her husband had made reservations and she had to wait while he parked the car, unloaded, etc. She wasn't very happy about a rule that typically isn't followed at most resort s.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Ann K
Fishers, Indiana
Reviewed 26 October 2013

My wife and I and our 2 girls had a blast. We took a small fall break vaca to GWL (Mason) and it was awesome. I had a cake waiting for us in our room, which surprised my wife and oldest daughter. We played at the waterpark and then came inside for dinner and then some MagiQuest. The girls were exhausted by the end of the day and we had a great time. We will definitely be heading back to this property in the future for more fun. Thanks.

Room Tip: Get a themed room, the kids loved it.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family