“Overcharged.”

Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Mason
Valparaiso, Indiana
“Overcharged.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

We paid nearly $350.00 per night as we booked last minute. The room was a family suite , however the description was not accurate. This was a room with a half wall not a suite. The water park aspects, outdoor pool, and food was great. Upon check out I noticed we were charged for a $19.99 resort fee. I asked what the fee was for since we paid $350.00 per night, I was informed that fee covered the free wi-fi, free parking and general up keep of the grounds. The manager stated it was in the fine print during the initial booking. My husband booked the room so I could not verify, however if the customer is charged at the end of the trip it is not free.

3 Thank Elizabeth D
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Elizabeth,

Thank you for visiting Great Wolf Lodge – Mason and sharing your feedback with us!

When booking online, at Step 2 and 3 of the reservation process, the cost of the stay is shown in a summary in the top right-hand corner of the booking window. It will highlight the nightly room rate, then the taxes & fees and then provides a total cost of stay. The resort fee covers a variety of additional amenities such as: complimentary Wi-Fi, parking, unlimited access to the fitness center and wolf ears for every child in the room.

Upon checkout, the cost of the stay is broken down to specific line items so a guest can ensure they were not overcharged. It can then appear as though the resort fee was charged after the fact, but it is built into the total cost of stay which is finalized at check-in.

I hope you find this information useful and will stay with us again soon!

Jason
Great Wolf Guest Relations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

We visited near Christmas. We had a fabulous time. It was Magical with it SNOWING INSIDE!!! We ate in the gingerbread house. This is a small approximately 12 x 20 room built in the lobby. Your party is the only group in the house at one time. It was a fun experience. Get ready because it is built with real icing and candy. The smell is incredible and a bit much at times. There are show times in the lobby which was fun! The downside is that it can be a bit packed here. They only allow hotel guests in the waterpark so you have to stay there. If you just want to go by for an adventure there is some to do without staying. During Christmas time they also had sleigh rides.

The spa area has the cutest area for the little ones to have their nails done, etc down to pink robes. Plan on shelling out some cash to go here because there are a lot of activities to do here that are not included in your room. A must do if you have kids. Ours are grown, but now that we have grandkids I can go here!!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Yakima, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

This hotel is really fun, especially for families! The waterpark is awesome, and really fun! The arcade is really relaxing after a long day at the water park. I only have three concerns. The first one is that, when we were in the shallow pool, my legs started hurting really badly, and I know this wasn't the hotel's fault, so I am not blaming them for this reason. The second thing was, I got lost a couple of times, even though it is pretty enclosed and it is easy to find your way. Again, I am not blaming the hotel for this reason. The last thing is that we arrived at the lodge at around 2:30pm, and our room was not ready. I had a severe stomach ache (I don't do well on flights), and it was hailing miserably! I used the restroom, and we decided to go to the pool to wait. (Don't worry, I was perfectly fine once we got to the pool!) I had a great time though! I love this place!!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Springfield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

Our daughter and son inlaw had a birthday party for out 9 yr old grandson. the lodge gave them a cake plates and silverware and a lot of other things for the birthday boy. It is definitely geared for kids. the wave pool was good for the 3yr old. the lazy river was good for the 7 & 9 yr olds. the lines were a little long for the slides but they did move fairly smooth. the food prices were a little more expensive. the room was a little small for 7 people but over all we had a great time! there is always something for the kids to do.

Room Tip: depends on how many people you have stay with you on the room type.But quiet hours are from 11 am to...
Lutherville, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

The water park is very nice, but lines can be long at times. The facility itself is overly geared to families with young kids (<8 ?) , so be advised. Lots of chlorine in the water - not a lot of evidence that pool diapers are used / required for smaller kids, which is probably what caused an "accident" in the Lazy River which shut it down as well as a number of water rides while the area was "cleaned". Prices inside are a bit steep, I think. If you need cheaper eats, head south on I-71 to exit 19 and there are a number of options. The rooms have a small refrigerator so you can BYOB. Floors seemed a bit thin - could hear kids running up and down the halls above us. Ok for 1.5 days, but not going back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Matt,

We appreciate the commentary from your recent stay at Great Wolf Lodge – Mason! It is generally recommended for guests with children who are not potty trained to have them wear swim diapers to try and prevent any accidents from happening while they play in the waterpark.

In order to save money while dining on-site, we offer a discounted breakfast package you can add to an overnight stay. Each suite does come standard with a microwave and mini-fridge, so guests are able to bring their own food and beverages from home to help make an overnight stay more affordable.

We hope to host your family again soon!

Jason
Great Wolf Guest Relations
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

Our family spent a week at this hotel after staying in the Canada location last year. There are plenty of activities for all ages. My sons had complete the Magiquest in Canada but at the Mason location they had added Shadowquest and Compassquest. My sons, 8 and 6, finished Magiquest and Shadowquest during the week. For those who have teenagers, Compassquest seemed to please the teenagers running around. We were very pleased with the hotel staff working the Magiquest store. They were always helpful and patient with the kids when they had questions.

The Canada location has an all-inclusive package for food. We found out that it is the only one so we were concerned about the food budget. But when we arrived, they have a pizza/ salad joint right outside the waterpark where a huge (and delicious) cheese pizza is 13.99. They sell souvenir cups for 12.99 and they are refillable for the entire stay. (at the pizza place and the Oasis place located inside the waterpark) The Oasis carries hamburgers, hotdogs, salads and chicken strips. For the healthy eater, they also had a vegetable tray along with hummus/pita.

I had a massage while there and if you get one, request Sherry. They said she books a few days out and I now know why. She also works at a chiropractor's office on the side and she does reflexology. She pleasantly surprised me for a resort massage therapist. She was very educated and communicated very well.

There is a little bowling alley (and I mean little) where you can bowl tiny bowling balls for $5. They are a large arcade as well as 9 hole glo golf indoor putt putt course. They had story time at 8 every evening but my boys, 6 and 8, thought it was more geared towards preschoolers.

We had a fireplace room (versus a Wolf room last time) and there was WAY more space in this room. The fireplace worked and we had a deck to lay out our swim suits to dry out. One night, the staff arranged all of my younger son's stuffed animals in a cute formation. He loved that!

If you want to leave the resort, there are plenty of restaurants within half a mile. It is also located directly beside King's Island. In fact, you can watch the roller coasters from the outdoor pool.

The outdoor pool had karoake as well as a dance party each afternoon.

My only reservation was the staff looked really tired. Most of them were very young- older teen/young 20's. They were always accommodating and took care of every need we had. But I would see them working really long hours day after day. Other than that, the stay was amazing.

My youngest son cried when we left. Great resort with a great price.

Room Tip: Stay AWAY from all staircases. The games- Magiquest, Shadowquest, and Compassquest- have the kids ru...
Charleston, West Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

We met another family as GWL is in the middle for both families. Total we had 7 kids and 4 adults with us. We had 2 Kids Cabin Suites. The rooms were GREAT! Big enough for both familes (3 kids in one, 4 in the other). I am extremely causious about Bed Bugs because really NO one wants to carry that home. So upon arrival I insepcted our rooms thoroughly. No evidence found! The rooms were very clean and I didn't find one speck of any pests. I do wish that in the rooms that hold larger families, had a door between the tiolet/sink area but oh well.

The Waterpark was wonderful! Having children ranging from 3 to 14 there was plenty for each age group to do. I felt the life guards were on top of things and very alert. I do wish that they would allow parents to go with the little ones down slides. Especially in the zero entry pool.

We visited the Arcade which was nice and I like that your tickets go automatically to your card. No carrying all those tickets around! Thank You! It is a little pricy but we still went.

Overall, we loved it and so did all the kids. Our 3 year old asked every morning if we are going back.

1 Thank Christina W