“Bleh...”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Mason
Reviewed 23 August 2014

This is my third stay at this hotel. The last visit was in 2010. Overall, this hotel needs to be updated. The carpets are worn and dirty. The building is showing signs of age. The pull out sofa bed is the most uncomfortable bed I have ever slept on. I requested a rollaway bed because even that would be better than my experience last night, but was told they have air mattresses. Normally, I don't complain, but when you are paying $383 a night, you expect a comfortable bed. The Kid Cabin room is cute and clean, but the beds in the kid cabin are also very uncomfortable. The restaurant prices are outrageous. Trust me, this place is not on par with Disney quality. There also seems to be a small number of staff members working in the hotel. This two night stay is definitely not worth the $766 it is costing me...

Room Tip: Don't plan on sleeping on the sofa bed.
6  Thank Donna T
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Donna,

Thank you for returning to Great Wolf Lodge – Mason and sharing your experience with us! I am incredibly disappointed to learn your stay was not to your satisfaction. Please know that this is not the norm for us and I have shared your concerns with the Management team at the resort to discuss internally.

It is our sincere hope to have your pack back soon!

Great Wolf Guest Relations

Write a ReviewReviews (3,666)

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Pros:
Wristbands- Use these for room keys, purchasing food, (even Starbucks coffee), souvenirs and entrance into water park.
Water Park is really amazing and this time of year not very crowded.
Nightly Story Time for kids in hotel lobby
Front desk staff and staff in general were very helpful, friendly and able to answer questions.
Pizza restaurant on first floor
Rooms were spacious, well equipped, nice balcony
Hibernation Hours 11 p.m.- 7 a.m.
Proximity to KI. They said it is a ten minute walk, but with my two year old and 80 year old grandmother closer to 20. It would be GREAT if they rented strollers!

Cons:
Children everywhere! It should be a given as the hotel is set up for families, but there are children everywhere, all hours of day, racing down halls to complete quests. It was somewhat overwhelming even as a mom.
The snack shops are reasonably priced, but the restaurants are expensive. $19.99 buffet for every meal. There are a lot of restaurants close by, but probably require a car.
Request a room at the end of the hall. Although it will be a walk it is more quiet than having children run past your room, or parents yell at their children running past your room.
King's Island Fireworks. I thought because our balcony faced the park we would be able to see the fireworks. Make sure to ask about this before accepting room. We could hear them, but not see them.

Room Tip: See comments above. Additionally, I found a quiet place to read in the morning on the far side of t...
3  Thank vacation1Colorado
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Took our two grandsons here and as usual, they had a blast. I feel they are in a clean, safe environment and we will continue to return. They are 4 and 5 and never want to leave! The only complaint I have is the one bigger slide that they could go down was not working and we were not made aware of this until we went all the way up the stairs to get to the top. A little disappointing for the boys!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are perfect for however many people are in your party
1  Thank tjbatts
Reviewed 15 August 2014

My two sons and I are currently staying at the resort and, while my 10 year old is having fun, my overall impression of the hotel is that the management tries to make up for the high operational overhead by skimping on staff. We were at the water park on a Friday morning with many other families with young children and there were only two lifeguards for the entire preschool water slide area, which has four very spread out water slides. It might not be such a problem, but parents aren't allowed to ride the preschool slides and so have to choose between accompanying their children to the top of the slide or catching them at the bottom. This forces parents to rely on the lifeguards to assist their children at either the top or the bottom, but because there aren't enough lifeguards things quickly become chaotic and scary if more than a couple of kids choose to ride at the same time. They need at least 4 lifeguards in this area to adequately staff it, in my opinion. They also had a couple of water slides closed this morning, supposedly for "maintenance," but it really looked like the problem was a shortage of lifeguards for the number of patrons present, which is inexcusable when a family is paying bucks to use the water park. The outdoor pool is also closed from 10 to 5 even though the weather is nice. Supposedly a "pump" problem, but one look around tells me that scarce staff is the real issue.

The same labor shortage seemed to.apply to housekeeping as well. The hotel is very large, but I saw only a handful of housekeeping staff in the hotel, and, needless to say, after being out of the room between the hours of 10 and 2 we returned to find that our room had not been cleaned. A call to guest services got prompt results, but I was irritated that my toddler missed his nap because we had to vacate our room during his usual naptime.

Overall, the place is just ok for the price I am paying to stay at Great Wolf. The rooms are in need of refurbishment as well, but the biggest problem is the lack of attention from staff that appear exhausted and stretched very thin. I can overlook a few nicks in the furniture, but not the feeling that this huge hotel is staffed by about three very underpaid human beings. There is a decided undercurrent of low morale here that translates to the guests. The hotel looks impressive, and with more adequate staffing I think it really could be a vacation destination. As it is now, I am not sure that I would return.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank daisyduckeye
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Thank you for staying at Great Wolf Lodge – Mason and for bringing your concerns to our attention. Please know that what you observed does not meet with the expectations we have set for our team and we will discuss your review internally to determine areas of opportunity to improve for future guests.

We hope to host your family again soon!

Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

Hotel was clean and the staff was friendly.Kids liked the water park although it closed around 8 pm. Very close to the tennis matches at Linder complex which we were there for. Restaurants and food their were ok.Lots if activities for the kids and the basic rooms were roomy. Would stay here again and recommend.

Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Pros: The hotel was nice, clean, and had lots of activities. It seemed very family friendly. My kids loved their separate sleeping area and I felt like we had plenty of room. The activities and food were pricey but it was expected. You can find many food places around the hotel. Loved having a balcony/patio. I thought the price of the room was ok considering it was very nice and included the water park.

Cons: We had a lot of problems with the water park. I knew that the hours could vary but at check in we were given a schedule of everything with the hours. I wrongly assumed that this schedule would be correct but it was not. We thought the water park would be open until 10 and it was only open until 9 and the slides were closed by 845p. My son wore goggles in the wave pool the first day and was told the second day he wasn't allowed even though lots of other kids had them on, he felt targeted. My younger son (6) had the same problem. The 1st day he was allowed on a slide and the second day was told he was a little to short. Also, the second day two slides were down the entire day, big disappointment.

Room Tip: Kid Kamp room was great for two adults, two kids, one baby.
1  Thank Kristin S
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Kristin,

Thank you for visiting Great Wolf Lodge – Mason and providing us with your feedback! I am glad your family enjoyed your Kid Kamp Suite as well as the variety of activities we have to offer.

I am disappointed to learn of the inconsistencies you experienced while staying with us and I have shared your review with our Management team at the resort to review internally.

We hope to see your pack back soon!

Reviewed 11 August 2014

This was our first Great Wolf Lodge experience so keep that in mind. Check in fairly smooth as we checked in at 3pm. Upon arriving to our floor (4th floor) it looked like a college dorm went crazy, old pizza boxes, used towels and sheets all outside the doors of the room. You had to zig zag to get down the hallway. I gave them a pass since we were an hour "early" from check in but not the best first impression. We stayed in a Grizzly Bear Suite, had enough space for all six of our crew but the lighting was horrible. In the room with the two queen beds you should bring a headlamp, flashlight or lantern if you want to see anything. No overhead lights and dim bulbs in the room. Made it very difficult for the grandma in the group to see anything in the room. Also, that room heard the slamming of the doors in the morning. (Hibernation hours from 11p to 7am seemed to work ok ,just know that the doors start slamming right at 7am) Other room was nice and comfy. On to the waterpark we go....first impressions - WOW large and lots of fun things to do. Nice little pool for the little kids, and cool factor slides for the big kid (and Daddy) Kids wouldn't notice the green tinge on the edges of the pool or the other signs of lack of TLC in the waterpark. Kinda took me back to my first impression of the place, perhaps clean isn't on the top priority list. Lines for the bigger slides were fine and between 15-25 minutes when they were properly staffed (some times it was only one lifeguard for four slides which created longer than needed wait times) Step on the way to the tallest platform was loose, not a safety issue yet but it does make you pause. All my kids loved the lazy river, but they never touched the bottom like the adults did. I understand "anti-slip" measures but I think I left a good portion of the skin on the bottom of my feet on that ride....and the walls are no better so use caution. 8 year old loved MagiQuest, he would go back just for that. Yes, it takes time and money but we knew that ahead of time so it wasn't a surprise. Back to the conditions of the hotel in general. It seems that for the price you pay the employees would be a little more engaged in their work, seems like they really don't care about the place since trash was still on the ground after two days. We did have mixed messages about the bands, at check in they stated if you can't sleep with them on cut them off....when we went to get new ones the next day front desk staff said where are your old ones? Next time bring them to us or we'll charge you $40 per. Again, not a deal breaker but keeping your customers informed of policies goes a long way and leaves a better impression. Only ate at the pizza place and it was very good, that was a pleasant surprise for "park food".

Wrap up - the park is pricey for the condition it's in. It needs a day or two of TLC/painting and cleaning. With that and some staff retraining and you'd have yourselves a fine running park to be proud of. Kids loved it, and want to go back - adults will try another brand of indoor waterpark and see how it compares before we try Great Wolf Lodge again which is a shame as it's closer.

Room Tip: Rooms on the end by the convention center are further from the waterpark, but also further from the...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for staying at Great Wolf Lodge – Mason and sharing your experience with us! We greatly appreciate your feedback and I have shared it with our Management team at the resort to discuss internally. I am glad that, overall, your family had a Great Wolf time and we look forward to seeing your family again soon!