“Wouldn't stay here again” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Mason/Kings Island

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Mason/Kings Island
Ranked #14 of 18 Hotels in Mason
North Royalton, Ohio
“Wouldn't stay here again”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2011

We spent one night here after a day at Kings Island. The pop machine was out of everything. The continental breakfast was a joke. The Beach water park is located behind Microtel. They had music blasting until Midnight. Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep. On my next trip to Kings Island I will be staying elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank porchopz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Winchester, Kentucky
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2011

I stayed one night at this hotel. The room seemed clean but the bathroom was outdated. The hallway had a strange odor. The breakfast options are limited but better than nothing. The hotel is located just off the interstate and is close to the Kings Island Amusement park. The hotel was adequate for what we needed but slightly overpriced. The attendant quoted us $79 a night. When we said we would think about it he dropped it to $69...

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank judiana
Shelbyville, Indiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2010

I simply chose this hotel because it was an economically sound decision at the time. Basically all I can say is that the old phrase holds true "You get what you pay for" with that said I will break this hotel down with Pros & Cons.
Pros: Value, Location, Cleanliness, and area attractions are close by (some within walking distance)
Cons: No elevator, no pool or workout center, delabidated decor, weak shower head, check-in efficiency, burned out light bulbs, wall paper peeling from walls.
My check-in experience was BAD! it took me right at 10mins, the desk clerk was very unefficient sorting through her papers and fumbling about on her computer. Then she had to phsyicaly go see that the rooms were ready. The next thing was that none of our key cards would allow access from the outside doors.
So now enter the room, first thing I cheked was the lights and wala two bulbs burned out lol, ok I look the bathroom over and was surprized how clean it was. I then look over the amenities and find a TV atop a mini closet, a desk built into the wall, NO alarm clock, and what looked like an old throwback pushbutton phone with no key chart on it.
The entire wall behind the bed was a mirror, and I suppose that might come in handy for added entertainment. Some of the wallpaper was peeling away from the walls and in some areas they had used scotch tape as a band-aid for pete sakes!(see photo) The one nice thing I can say is I slept well as the bed was quite cozy! A simple breakfast of hot & cold cereals, bagels and muffins, coffee, appple & orange juices are included. There's a washer & dryer for use price is $1 each, internet access available through modem jack. Our check-out experience went well and I will only recommend this hotel only if one is going the cheap route! Pets are allowed under 20lbs with a $20 fee.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank imsfan

Travellers are raving about these Mason hotels

Cleveland, OH
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2010

Finding a cheap place to stay in August in Mason is very difficult because of the Cincy pro tennis tournament, which is the reason for our stay, and because of Kings Island/The Beach. Last year we stayed at the Super 8 and it wasn't too bad (MUCH better than the Kings Island Resort & Conference Center). Early in the year I decided to look into rates at Microtel because I knew that Microtel is part of the same family of hotels (through Wyndham). The rates were slightly lower than Super 8 but since we were going to be staying for 10 nights, it definitely added up. I didn't have high expectations but hoped that it would be up to par with the Super 8 and nothing completely disgusting. We also requested a fridge and microwave, so it was up in the air whether that request would be honored.

Check in went relatively smooth. The room that they gave us was RIGHT next to the reception area, which was a bit annoying considering there would be a lot of traffic through there. The room was as I expected - very very tiny. The TV was way up above the armoir because there wasn't anything other than a writing desk or night stands to place it on. The bathroom was probably 3/4 the size of the room itself. I can understand why King-sized beds are not available at this place. As we were unpacking our suitcases (barely enough room to open the large suitcase in between the bed and the wall), we received a call from the front desk. They wanted to know if we would be willing to move to a different room so that they could fit the fridge in there.

We agreed and they took us to a room that seemed like twice the size (wheelchair accessible) which was a drastic improvement. The room had the same amenities and decor, but with much more open space. There was even room for a cot if we needed to a place for another person to sleep. They didn't deliver the fridge and microwave until the next day because none were available at the moment, but that wasn't a big deal. We were happy to not be cramped for 10 nights. The only things that bothered me about that particular room are 1) The light above the shower did not work and 2) The room was next to an exterior entrance so we were woken up here and there from the door slamming and 3) There was no counter space in the bathroom, probably because it was an ADA room.

Overall, I was happy with the place. We were there to shower and sleep, so it did the job for under $100 per night (after taxes) on average. I found out a couple weeks later that rooms at this place off season are about $30-$40 a night! So they are definitely raising prices during the tournament and when the parks are open but I guess I would do it too if I were them.

Pros: Very close to the tennis facility, friendly staff, free WiFi, coin laundry machine available, juice/coffee offered from 6-10AM or so... they provided tennis match schedule at front desk along with park tickets.

Cons: Outdated decor, light out in bathroom, wallpaper borders starting to come off, drapes needed cleaning, no pool, continental breakfast undesirable, front desk/lobby area/hotel rooms very close to one another and not sectioned off, poor vending machine selections. Now I'm just getting picky...

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JJD2001
michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2008

We stayed in this hotel when we went to the ATP Masters Tennis tournment. It's hard to find rooms at the last minute for this tournament so we were lucky to even get this place. I should say that if I weren't there to see this tennis tournament I don't think I'd stay here...even if I were just passing through on I-75.

Bare bones is probably the best way to describe te room that we got. It was a tiny room (I guess that is why it is called "Microtel"). So tiny that there was hardly room to open a suitcase and walk around the bed. I kid you not.

The hotel has no amenties to speak of, although I do remember that it had wireless. The room was a little smokey smelling.

We only slept in the room because we were at the tennis tournament all day. It's literally across the street and down the road just a bit from the tennis facility, but you wouldn't walk there because it is an ugly busy street and it is a little further than you want it to be.

It was cheap though for tournament time: $100/night (plus about $10 in taxes). I'd take this place over the Kings Island "Resort" any day. That place was filthy!

Skip the Waffle House...

• Liked — Close to the ATP tennis tournment
  • Disliked — Size of room, smoky smell in room. No pool.
  • Stayed August 2005, travelled as a couple
      Check-in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank pyegirl