“Relaxing Stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Mason
Circleville, Ohio
“Relaxing Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

We really enjoyed our stay here. The staff was friendly and helpful, the room was nice and clean, and the breakfast was great. I loved that it wasn't in town, so there wasn't much noise outside. The towels they provided were thick and absorbent, which is a nice change from the typical paper-thin towels most hotels provide. I would recommend Kirkwood and would likely stay there again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Katlyn U

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Hebron, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

I travel a lot and our family absolutely loves the Kirkwood Inn. The staff is eager and willing to help you with whatever your needs may be. The rooms are impeccably clean and modern. I've read a few reviews about the bathrooms being dated but ours was just fine. It's so refreshing to have a clean tub with no hairs in them! The gardens were beautiful and the pool was refreshing. But the best part is the breakfast served in the farm house that was built in 1799. By far more options than a "continental breakfast". Overall this place is a great value and it's a unique alternative to the corporate places in the area. Needless to say we will always choose the Kirkwood when visiting Kings Island.

Room Tip: Check out the beautiful flower garden before you departing :-)
1 Thank 150VLK
Winter Haven, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

We actually were recommended this hotel by the Shaker Inn....they were booked. So this place is awesome! Very clean. The rooms are spacious and nice. The grounds are beautiful. It was nice to take a relaxing walk through the garden after the long drive from Florida. The breakfast was served in the Historic Kirkwood house that was built in 1799. The breakfast Iincluded Fresh juice, coffee, homemade biscuits and gravy hot eggs, oatmeal, pastries, pineapple bread pudding,yogurt,jams and jellies., cereal, really something for everyone. Breakfast is served from 6am-10am. They have a pool from where you can watch fireworks from Kings Island. Location Iis close to Kings Island. It Iis nice for familes and peaceful enough for a couple to enjoy. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Also, the Award winning Houston Inn Restaurant is right across the street. They serve Lunch and Dinner. Also, they have a bar. The steak I had was tender and delicious.
I highly recommend this hotel. We look forward to staying here again. Whether you are antiquing in Lebenon or doing the Kings Island thing..this Hotel is great for both!!!

1 Thank Debby C
Cincinnati, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed over the Holiday weekend July 2014 only wanting to stay 1 night but was told there was a minimum 2 night stay. The non-smoking room we had was smothered in a strongly perfumed carpet freshner that made me nauseated and sick to my stomach, to hide the underlying smoky room. The toilet wouldn't flush which my husband had to fix several times. The toilet was also loosely detached from the floor. The shower plug didn't work so I had to use a washcloth to plug the drain. Had difficulty getting the shower head to switch over to the faucet in order to bathe. My husband struggled with that one and he's a handy man. Cob webs were draped here and there by the pool, outside light fixtures, and railings. We paid 139.00 per night and this old runned down facility should have been more in the price range of 75.00 per night. Continental breakfast was nice. Would NEVER stay here again!!!!!!!! Trip Advisor. . . .get a new hobby!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Choose well named chain hotels. I learned my lesson with this one.
4 Thank Laurakay2014
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

I reviewed a lot of hotels before I committed to one and this one got a lot of great reviews..

It was a fine stay.. average at best..

The people were nice and the place was clean.

First let's point out the not so awesome parts..
The air conditioner only worked on one setting and one setting alone.. If we adjusted it at all either trying to make it colder or trying to make it warmer it shut off and refused to come back on unless in that exact setting.. Low cool and temp know at 8.. total bummer as I would overheat at night and them freeze my children when I turned it back up..
The bathtub wouldn't drain.. The stopper was stuck down and the lever wouldn't open it.. I used a bobby pin to pry it open so we could shower..
The bed.. well let's just say I never truly appreciated my bed at home till I got back from this vacation.. love my bed..
No new coffee packets were ever left after I used the one that was in the room the first morning.. we stayed three nights.. had to go to the main house for coffee.. Also a bummer
The trails I read so much about was one small trail.. All of five minutes walking slow worth..

Now the good things..
The beds were made every day.. nice..
Towels replenished daily.. Also nice..
Breakfast far better than any free breakfast I've had elsewhere..
The people seemed nice, but I didn't ask for much and didn't really speak to anyone other than the ladies in the main house for breakfast and the front desk people..

All in all it was a fine stay.. nothing to really write home about, nothing I can complain to much about either..

The pool was awesome... When we weren't at kings island we were in the pool.. very nice pool.. and plenty of seating..

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

This was a great fit for our family. I was very impressed by this facility. Of course, as other reviewers have said, the breakfast is really great. But I also appreciated the housekeeping. We asked for privacy in our room because we had left it such a mess we didn't want housekeeping to have to try to clean around it. They were nice enough to still come in and place fresh towels and make the one bed that was cleaned off. Others might not appreciate that if they specifically didn't want anyone in the room, but I DID appreciate it. Those clean towels were a real treat at the end of a hot sticky day at the amusement park. They didn't touch any of our stuff, but still gave us the service we needed. Thanks, housekeeping staff!

The rooms were nicely renovated, and everything was very clean and tidy. I liked the little touches, like the fancy folded washcloths. I'm sure it's a pain, but it was a charming touch that gave me the sense that some care had gone into the cleaning of the room.

I wish as much care went into their choice of dining ware. It is tragic that they continue to use styrofoam at breakfast - especially serving 40+ rooms worth of people each morning. Please, please, PLEASE stop using styrofoam! Styrofoam fills approximately 30% of our landfills where it takes centuries to biodegrade. It is heartbreaking that they use it, especially when it can be easily addressed. Of course, the best alternative would be non-disposable plates and flatware. Given the setting of the dining room, a mix of vintage plates would really add to the charm of dining there. But, even if they must stick with a disposable option, biodegradable paper plates (think Chinet) would be so much better. Continuing the use of styrofoam is just careless.

That's really my only item that could use improvement. Other than that, the staff was friendly, our room was well-cleaned, and the beds were decent enough. I felt it was a good value for the money, and look forward to staying there again. I'll just bring my own plate. :)

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Trakie1
Mason, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

Great local inn, family owned for many years. Very friendly, fantastic breakfast, clean rooms and quiet area. They have a pool. The area is a safe and quiet. There is a family owned restaurant across the street with a large salad bar.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends