“wonderful place to stay!”
Review of Kirkwood Inn

Kirkwood Inn
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Mason
Reviewed 13 July 2014

My son and I stayed here for a 3 night Kings Island get-a-way. So happy to have found this lovely inn!! From the moment we made the reservation to the time we checked out, the staff was helpful, kind, and gracious. And our room was exceptionally clean! The grounds have a beautiful garden with a walking path, and there are several nice touches throughout the premises. The metal sculpture in the main corridor is an example. Kirkwood is such a nice change from chain hotels. We are already planning our return next year. Thanks to the staff--keep up the good work! What a relaxing and affordable treat!

Room Tip: We had a single room reserved but arrived an hour early and were upgraded to a double at the same ra...
1  Thank dawn k

Reviewed 11 July 2014

My husband and I traveled to the Mason area to visit relatives the week of July 4th. We always stay here and again we weren't disappointed. Yes, the inn is in a renovated motel, but it's one of the cleanest places we've ever stayed. The complimentary breakfast is wonderful and is located in a historic house on the grounds. It's a little bit of Williamsburg inside. No matter what your dietary restrictions are you can find something to eat. Hats off to the owner for keeping the Kirkwood a great place to stay. If you do stay there, don't forget to take a walk in the garden. It's a nice surprise.

1  Thank John D
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We really enjoyed our stay here. The staff was friendly and helpful, the room was nice and clean, and the breakfast was great. I loved that it wasn't in town, so there wasn't much noise outside. The towels they provided were thick and absorbent, which is a nice change from the typical paper-thin towels most hotels provide. I would recommend Kirkwood and would likely stay there again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Katlyn U
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I travel a lot and our family absolutely loves the Kirkwood Inn. The staff is eager and willing to help you with whatever your needs may be. The rooms are impeccably clean and modern. I've read a few reviews about the bathrooms being dated but ours was just fine. It's so refreshing to have a clean tub with no hairs in them! The gardens were beautiful and the pool was refreshing. But the best part is the breakfast served in the farm house that was built in 1799. By far more options than a "continental breakfast". Overall this place is a great value and it's a unique alternative to the corporate places in the area. Needless to say we will always choose the Kirkwood when visiting Kings Island.

Room Tip: Check out the beautiful flower garden before you departing :-)
1  Thank 150VLK
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We actually were recommended this hotel by the Shaker Inn....they were booked. So this place is awesome! Very clean. The rooms are spacious and nice. The grounds are beautiful. It was nice to take a relaxing walk through the garden after the long drive from Florida. The breakfast was served in the Historic Kirkwood house that was built in 1799. The breakfast Iincluded Fresh juice, coffee, homemade biscuits and gravy hot eggs, oatmeal, pastries, pineapple bread pudding,yogurt,jams and jellies., cereal, really something for everyone. Breakfast is served from 6am-10am. They have a pool from where you can watch fireworks from Kings Island. Location Iis close to Kings Island. It Iis nice for familes and peaceful enough for a couple to enjoy. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Also, the Award winning Houston Inn Restaurant is right across the street. They serve Lunch and Dinner. Also, they have a bar. The steak I had was tender and delicious.
I highly recommend this hotel. We look forward to staying here again. Whether you are antiquing in Lebenon or doing the Kings Island thing..this Hotel is great for both!!!

1  Thank Debby C
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed over the Holiday weekend July 2014 only wanting to stay 1 night but was told there was a minimum 2 night stay. The non-smoking room we had was smothered in a strongly perfumed carpet freshner that made me nauseated and sick to my stomach, to hide the underlying smoky room. The toilet wouldn't flush which my husband had to fix several times. The toilet was also loosely detached from the floor. The shower plug didn't work so I had to use a washcloth to plug the drain. Had difficulty getting the shower head to switch over to the faucet in order to bathe. My husband struggled with that one and he's a handy man. Cob webs were draped here and there by the pool, outside light fixtures, and railings. We paid 139.00 per night and this old runned down facility should have been more in the price range of 75.00 per night. Continental breakfast was nice. Would NEVER stay here again!!!!!!!! Trip Advisor. . . .get a new hobby!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Choose well named chain hotels. I learned my lesson with this one.
4  Thank Laurakay2014
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

I reviewed a lot of hotels before I committed to one and this one got a lot of great reviews..

It was a fine stay.. average at best..

The people were nice and the place was clean.

First let's point out the not so awesome parts..
The air conditioner only worked on one setting and one setting alone.. If we adjusted it at all either trying to make it colder or trying to make it warmer it shut off and refused to come back on unless in that exact setting.. Low cool and temp know at 8.. total bummer as I would overheat at night and them freeze my children when I turned it back up..
The bathtub wouldn't drain.. The stopper was stuck down and the lever wouldn't open it.. I used a bobby pin to pry it open so we could shower..
The bed.. well let's just say I never truly appreciated my bed at home till I got back from this vacation.. love my bed..
No new coffee packets were ever left after I used the one that was in the room the first morning.. we stayed three nights.. had to go to the main house for coffee.. Also a bummer
The trails I read so much about was one small trail.. All of five minutes walking slow worth..

Now the good things..
The beds were made every day.. nice..
Towels replenished daily.. Also nice..
Breakfast far better than any free breakfast I've had elsewhere..
The people seemed nice, but I didn't ask for much and didn't really speak to anyone other than the ladies in the main house for breakfast and the front desk people..

All in all it was a fine stay.. nothing to really write home about, nothing I can complain to much about either..

The pool was awesome... When we weren't at kings island we were in the pool.. very nice pool.. and plenty of seating..

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family