“Nothing terribly outstanding or terribly wrong”
Review of Comfort Inn West

Comfort Inn West
Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in Maumee
Reviewed 26 February 2012

This is your typical budget hotel, although I will say it was somewhat nicer than what I expected. My king bed room did have a flat screen TV and the fixtures had obviously been updated in the last few years (bathroom vanity/tub surround, lights). The carpets are a bit worn and the beds had the puzzlingly small square pillows that you generally only see in budget European hotels, but they gave you like 8 of them so you could make it work.

The continental breakfast is adequate and the staff was friendly. The hotel has good highway access and is right across the street from a grocery store and a handful of restaurants. It was mostly quiet. The heat/AC unit was a little noisy, but not enough to keep me awake. Overall, if you're not a picky traveler and are looking for budget accommodations, it will do just fine. If you need something more, try somewhere else.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the rear of the hotel, as it will be farther away from Reynolds Rd, which is a som...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 26 December 2011

Let's cut to the chase, people. It's a $59/night 2-star hotel not the Taj Mahal. So it has empty storefronts nearby, welcome to the Midwest. So the staff wouldn't win Miss Congeniality contests, so what? They were cordial and made no errors. No flat screens, how will we survive? Yes its on a busy street but also convenient to the Ohio Turnpike and easily found even without GPS.

What you get for your $$ is a clean, decent room that DOESN'T smell like vomit/urine/smoke, that has basic amenities (fridge/microwave/coffee maker), and your run-of-the-mill breakfast fare (waffle maker/muffins/cereal, etc.) It works fine as we used it which was just a driving respite between destinations. Can't comment on the pool, didn't use it and didn't care.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank pepp7091
Reviewed 12 December 2011

I mistakenly booked this hotel from another website, not realizing it was this hotel that Trip Advisor reviewers gave bad reviews to. The other website had great reviews and I didn't realize they were all about the same hotel. HUGE mistake! I pulled up and was already alarmed. It's in a desolate area surrounded bad abandoned buildings. As soon as I walked in the door the hotel smelled of stale smoke - as I stared at the "No Smoking" sign. We were exhausted and only needed a place to sleep for a few hours so we could continue a long drive the next day so, I thought "the room MUST be better! The reviews were good!" I was wrong. The room was quite large, the internet was quick ...that's about all the good I can say. The room smelled like stale smoke and vomit. The bedspread and blankets haven't been washed since they discontinued allowing people to smoke in that room. I couldn't sleep. Thank God for the speedy internet because I stayed up all night on the internet trying to figure out how I made such a huge mistake when booking this room (and intermittently looking for bugs...I didn't see any THANK GOD). It was disgusting and I couldn't wait to get out of there! If my daughter wasn't so exhausted, I would have left as soon as I walked in.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 September 2011

Dirty, uninterested manager, breakfast area lady not real pleasant, no screens on windows, no window locks on ground floor rooms. If you want fresh air in your room, you're subjected to the ever present mosquito population of OH. Spend a few bucks more and stay in an updated hotel. I'd rate this one right alongside a Motel 6 in a seedy neighborhood. Unattentive staff, housekeeping leaves a lot to be desired and are NOT even close to thorough. DUMP. A couple other hotels in the area have shut their doors. This one should as well. By far the WORST hotel I've stayed in while traveling the area.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room with a window screen. Good luck.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 September 2011

We checked into the hotel after traveling both ends of Reynolds Ave. The email we got from them said S Reynolds and the GPS took us that address. The hotel was at the other end of Reynolds. After driving 7 hours, the last thing you want to do is ride up and down a busy traffic laden street. Check in was smooth, unlike the carpet in our room. It had ridges in it and did not look clean. A traveling companion had similar problems with the carpet. Her remote did not work. We used the pool with some trepidation. It was not really clean and the pool room was in need of repair. The advertised spa did not exist. Assistance with toiletries did not exist either. The breakfast was quite good and the Wi-Fi worked well. The staff was pleasant and tried to be helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for first floor rooms if you have much luggage. No elevator.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank loudanew2
Reviewed 29 August 2011

We picked this hotel because it's close to the highway and not too far from the Toledo Zoo (which is a very good zoo). We got to the first room, and the air conditoner didn't work. They did move us without an issue, so that problem was solved quickly. The TV in the room will probably be on Antiques Road Show in a couple of years, but it worked okay. The hotel is in need of updating and is starting to show a little wear around the edges. The continental breakfast was middle of the road. It was also a weird one to get into, because if you're coming from the north, and it's on a divided road, you have to drive past it and turn around to get to it. All in all, it wasn't horrible, but it didn't stand out in any way. I'll try somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank travelbobKalamazoo
Reviewed 23 July 2011

pet friendly means tick friendly! we didn't have a pet but found a tick in the bed anyway. and the night desk clerk wakes us at 1 am to move a vehicle for no reason at all. idiot. find another hotel - this is a dump

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple