“One of the best breakfasts around!”
Review of Scrambler Marie's

Scrambler Marie's
Cuisines: American
Cleveland, Ohio
“One of the best breakfasts around!”
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

Great service, great food, menu has good variety, I think anyone could find something they like here. Coffee is usually good and strong too, even the decaf (I hate when places make the decaf weak just because it's decaf!)

Cleveland, Ohio
“Quality and service are going downhill...”
Reviewed 13 November 2013

We are members of the Marie Club and have breakfast here on a pretty regular basis. We ate here on Friday, November 8th and Sunday, November 10th. Both experiences were disappointing for what we have come to expect from Scrambler Marie's.

Friday: we came in at about 8:30 am to a relatively empty restaurant. We were seated quickly but in a section of the restaurant where no one else had yet been seated. As a result, we were promptly ignored for 15 minutes until we finally flagged someone down to take our order. Since we had 3 kids with us, and they were hungry, this was annoying. We asked for coffees and I also asked for some french vanilla flavored creamer. My coffee sat while I waited, the food came 10 minutes later, and we still hadn't received the creamer. When the meals came out, we asked again, we also needed syrup for our 2 pancake orders (which came out at least 5 minutes later). I had one cup of coffee while I sat there because I waited so long for the creamer. Two members of our party ordered hash browns and sourdough toast, and the hash browns were burnt and overcooked, and the toast was burnt black on one side (of course, the turned the burnt sides in on each other so you couldn't tell unless you picked up the toast to eat it). We also had an Awesome Avocado as part of our order, and requested that it be made with egg whites, which it was not. By the time the orders finally came out, we didn't complain because we didn't really have time - we had 90 minutes to eat breakfast and get on to where we needed to be Friday morning - and 90 minutes should have been more than enough time. Service was so slow and unreliable, however, that we were almost late. Given that I had hardly any coffee at the table, I asked for "to go" coffee cups. Generally, the good servers bring us a fresh cup of coffee in the "to go" cup. Our server brought us empty cups and left us to finish off our lukewarm pot of coffee "to go." All in all, not a great experience, but we had a coupon (and we were late), so we chalked it up to a one time thing and let it go.

Sunday, we came to Marie's for my husband's birthday. We often utilize the "call ahead" seating on Sunday mornings, and have never had to wait more than 5 minutes past our call ahead time to be seated. When we arrived on Sunday and checked in at exactly our call ahead time, we were told it would be just a few minutes. 20 minutes went by, and parties who came in after us were seated. When we asked why our call ahead wasn't ready, we were told that they didn't have a table big enough for our party of 5. This is ridiculous, because most times, we are seated at a table for 4 and the high chair is set up at the end of the table. Finally, the hostess told us that the restaurant had been without power that morning and it had also backed things up. Nonetheless, it seemed that excuse after excuse was made while they seated parties of 4 who came in behind us at tables that we could have easily been seated at. Just as we were about to leave, the magically found us a table, which ended up being a booth that we stuck the high chair at the end of. It was a little larger than the basic table for 4, but again, there is no reason why we needed a table of that size given that one of our seats was a highchair that would not fit in the booth anyhow.

Our server was attentive and kind, and we made sure she had a tip that reflected that. My husband got his free Marie Club birthday breakfast, but we tipped her from the original amount before the coupon. Unfortunately, the hash browns and toast were again very burnt. The omelet we requested with egg whites was correctly made, however. And when we requested flavored creamer and "to go" cups, they were brought out immediately (and the "to gos" had fresh coffee). I wish I remembered the name of our server because she really saved the experience.

We eat here, and across the street at First Watch, often, and we are members of both restaurants' clubs. Marie's generally gets our business over First Watch because of the call ahead option. However, that failure on Sunday, and the recent decline in the food prep quality at Marie's, are making me reconsider that and just put up with the wait at First Watch. Service saved the day on this past Sunday. I will give them another try or two before giving up, but two bad experiences in 3 days is pretty disappointing.

• Visited November 2013
Chesterland, Ohio, USA
“Great Breakfast option to the old standby”
Reviewed 4 November 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

This is a nice change of pace to Bob Evans of Denny's. It feels a bit more like a diner, which is rare in Cleveland. They have a different variety of egg combinations that are pretty good. The one thing they are lacking is a good breakfast sandwich. I've ordered a la cart before and made my own, but it should be a staple on the breakfast menu. It;s not hard to put bacon, eggs and cheese on toast or any other bread. Hopefully they think of add this.

Visited October 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
“Love this breakfast place”
Reviewed 30 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Love the food, the prices and the quick service Can't beat the "mini classic" for price and amount of food! Also love that they leave a pitcher of water and coffee at the table so that you don't have to always be looking for your waitress Our favorite breakfast place!

Visited October 2013
“Nice Breakfast/Lunch Restaurant”
Reviewed 2 December 2012

Scrambler Marie's is a very good Breakfast/Lunch Restaurant. We have found both the breakfasts and lunches to be good to very good. Portion size is generous. Pricing is average for the restaurant category. Service has always been very good, friendly and efficient. The space is somewhat compact. The background music can be somewhat loud.

• Visited November 2012