“BEDBUGS!!! BEWARE!!!”

Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Mentor
Columbus
“BEDBUGS!!! BEWARE!!!”
Reviewed 7 August 2009

stayed here for work with a group. Out of four of us, two rooms had bedbugs. I wasn't sure if it was an allergy because I have never encountered bedbugs, UNTIL I saw a bed bug all fat and red from eating me alive walking across the blanket of my bed. I called all of my coworkers to look at it and they all confirmed that it was indeed a bedbug. When I told the front desk, they only offered to move me to a different room. I was shocked at that lack of concern!! Don't stay here unless you want to wake up with welts and bites, have to throw away your suitcase for fear of bed bug hitchhikers, and find a dryer asap to try to kill any bugs that might be in your clothes.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
4 Thank rachaelalicia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Salt Lake City
Reviewed 12 July 2009

We stayed at four Super 8 hotels on our trip. This was the most expensive Super 8 and our least favorite. The room was clean enough but the decor needed to be updated. The bed wasn't that comfortable. We did find a flying beetle type bug on the bed, but I think it just managed to get into the room. I don't think the hotel is at fault for that. The room did have a very strong smell of cleaning solution and we wondered what they were trying to cover up. In the breakfast area there are only two tables with two chairs at each table. That is not enough seating for a hotel that size! I like Super 8 for the most part, but at this one, we probably won't stay again.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank neh11
Columbus, ohio
Reviewed 30 June 2009

The hotel itself wasnt bad. The rooms were modern and furniture was in good condition. The cleanliness left something to be desired, especially in the bathrooms. The trash can outside the front door was overflowing onto the sidewalk. The first problem we had was no remote for the TV, witch the desk took care of without problem. The next problem came when we returned from an outing the first evening to find 7 children running around in the parking lot, and right outside our window. This itself wasnt a problem until later that night when we discovered that these 7 children were in the 2nd floor room directly above ours. The noise was intense and continuous and after 3 calls to the desk we had to change rooms after midnight. The biggest problem i had with this was that the kids were obviously family of the desk clerk, and seemed to be living there. The new room was quieter and after spending an hour moving our stuff in our pajamas we were able to get to sleep at 1:00 am. The beds were pretty uncomfortable and in the morning the reason was apparent, the beds were made with all flat sheets so they came off and were all bunched up and the mattress was hanging out. Pretty gross. The toilet in the 2nd room was constantly running so eventually I lifted the tank lid and reatatached the plastic nut that holds the handle on(a 1 minute fix). "Breakfast" consisted of coffee, a couple bagels, 1 english muffin, no jelly cream cheese or butter, and a couple comunal boxes of cereal with no milk. We ate breakfast out. We will return to the area for recreation but will surely stay elsewhere next time. The hotel management is friendly and good at apologising, but dosnt seem to interested in the things that make for a comfortable stay.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Ohiofamily1
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 20 March 2009

My wife and I stayed for one night at this hotel for a short visit with friends in the local area. It was selected based on low cost relative to other hotels in the area. The hotel is OK for 1 or 2 nights for not too picky people, I would not recommend it for longer or if you'd like a more pleasant atmosphere.

- Location is on a small street just off a main drag. The street to the hotel was rough and full of potholes. Although the location is also next to a freeway, I did not notice much traffic noise.
- No problems with check-in or check-out. However, beware that a mandatory "safe warranty" is included in the total price (ca. $3), and you have to remember to ask at check-out to remove "safe tax" ($1). Just nickel-and-dime crap to squeeze a few dollars out of the customers instead of just folding such fees into the room cost if they were really items likely used by most people.
- Room had a musty odor typically noticed at too many hotels. Room lighting was marginal, making room seem dark even with all the lamps on. One floor lamp has no bulb.
- Bath towels were adequately thick, hand towels a bit thin but OK. Shower head spray pattern was OK but had low flow, I estimate ca. half the typical 2.5 gal/min one uses at home. The sink sink drain was slow, not clear whether drain was partially clogged or stopper did not clear high enough to allow faster draining.
- Dial-up Internet was available, don't know cost, but there were no words to say that it was free. We did not use the Internet during our stay.
- Room has small refrigerator (always nice) and microwave.
- Breakfast was minimal with a few bagels, pastries, dry cereal , the usual liquid drinks, but no fruit. Breakfast area off the lobby only had 2 tables and ca. 4 chairs.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank FmrEngr
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 4 September 2008

The bed was firm and comfortable. The sheets were decent. The room was large with a king sized bed and sofa. The only complaint would be the walls in the bathroom need repair.

Breakfast was mediocre--bagels, mini-muffins, cereal.

• Stayed September 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank Seein'_the_world
Orem, Utah
Reviewed 29 July 2008

I stayed here for a night last year when I was visiting the area, so I booked it again this year when I returned with family members. Motel seems clean and updated with a friendly staff.
Very small breakfast area, there are only a couple of tables to sit at, and they are around the corner in a hallway.

Only problem, the next day after we had stayed here, 3 of the 4 of us had bug bites all over our bodies. We hadn't been anywhere outdoors to get bites, so the only thing we could figure was that there were bed bugs that had gotten us. The bites itched like the dickens for a week, which made an unforgettable memory of the Super 8 in Mentor.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank bhillut
USA
Reviewed 24 April 2008

This was just an overnight stop enroute to somewhere else.

By and large everything was ok, but nothing was really great.
Check-in was efficient (I had prepaid through expedia) and polite. The room and bathroom were clean, though had a slight musty smell. It wasn't really a problem, and after a few minutes I no longer noticed it. The beds were comfy and we all slept well.

The only real issue was the breakfast, which was the worst I've seen in a long time: it was set up in the lobby -- coffee, juice, bagels and a small selection of packaged sweet rolls and one type of cereal. Seating options were a couch and, in the adjoining hallway, two small tables with two chairs each. We took our meals back to the room to eat. (Obviously the hotel was built at a time when Super 8's didn't provide breakfast, so they did the best they could, but it was awkward.)

For the price, this is a good option for a 1-2 night stay, but if you have more money to spend and/or will be staying longer, you might consider something a bit nicer.

Stayed April 2008
2 Thank DreamTraveller2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mentor
Red Roof Inn Cleveland East - Willoughby
Holiday Inn Cleveland East - Mentor
Best Western Plus Lawnfield Inn & Suites
WoodSpring Suites Cleveland Mentor
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#2 of 5 in Painesville
Hampton Inn & Suites Cleveland-Mentor

Been to Super 8 Mentor/Cleveland Area? Share your experiences!