“Dirty dirty dump”

Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Mentor
mentor
“Dirty dirty dump”
Reviewed 4 August 2012 via mobile

Save yourself the time and money. Gross rooms. Its basicly like the old saying...you buy cheap you get cheap. Rooms smell foul like they just sprayed febreeze and didnt clean. The staff didnt seem to happy to be there either. Go down tge street to a better hotel.

• Stayed March 2012
3 Thank gingerriss

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
MC DONALD
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I planned a short getaway with my wife and chose this motel due to location to Headlands Beach State Park, cost, and the fact that we could cook some meals to saves some money. My decision was also based on the advertisement touting "renovated" rooms.

We reserved a NON SMOKING room. The room smelled badly of cigarettes. The ceiling was actually stained yellow from the smoke. There were burn marks on the bath tub. In addition to the cigarette issues, there were also stains on the bathroom walls. There was a large dark stain on the parking space directly in front of the room, with foot prints leading to the room and large dark stains on the carpet, probably from motor oil.

We decided that we weren't going to stay there and we left to look for other accomodations.We decided on the nearby Days Inn. The difference was like night and day. When we got back to gather our belongings and try to check out, the office was closed (the office closes at 8). The odor of the room was so bad that our be belongings smelled badly.

I went back the next morning about 7:30 to check out to try to get a refund. The girl at the front desk told me that I had to come back at 9:00 when here manager was there. I told her that I wasn't going to be around at 9 and that she needed to take care of the problem. She reluctantly called her manager on the phone and eventually gave me a refund for both nights after checking the room herself and agreeing with me that the room was bad.

Room Tip: ask to see room before checking in
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank EDWARD K
MN
Reviewed 1 July 2012

I checked into the hotel and I am SO glad that I did not bring my suitcase in yet when I noticed bed bugs. I left promptly.

On the other hand... The evening staff member was so kind, courteous and understanding. She was such a delight!

Room Tip: Don't choose a room here. They have bed bugs!!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank HeatherHolt
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 21 June 2012

All the rooms of this hotel that we checked smelled off from cigarettes, despite the non-smoking policy declared. Even new bed linen that I got had the smell of smoke, probably someone who's doing their laundry bother to add his own odor.
The room we got was very dirty. My wife had to clean it herself several times, and only threats that we'll leave for another hotel convinced the manager to send somebody to switch the smelly curtains and remove the fungus that was growing on the kitchen floor.
The cleaners do us a favor when they show up once a week and "clean", forget to leave new bags for trash, not going over the floor, etc. Very sloppy maintenance.

The operating responsible wanted us to pay only for the first two weeks, even though we ordered for a month. Once the two weeks were off, she called me to let me know that I'm locked out of my room and I must come and pay immediately. I would expect a proper notice a day in advance rather than such a treatment. It would have been the same effort for her, but different attitude and much better feeling for us.

The A/C either freezes us when the outside temperature is moderate, or does nothing when it's hot. And yes, we know how to setup the temperature of the A/C. Also, there is no way to turn this thing completely off, only change modes and fan speed.

I don't think that low budget hotel must mean stinking and dirty hotel, because we checked others in the area. The only thing that kept us here is the fact that we have a pet and needed to have a kitchenette.

Room Tip: Rooms can't be guaranteed in advance, there is no way to pre-order a specific room If you are a...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Gadi W
Afton, Oklahoma
Reviewed 21 January 2012

the kitchen and full size fridge saved me tons of cash while in the area working, the price around 260.00 a week . again motel 6 hit a home run for me!!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank tom e
mentor
Reviewed 17 November 2011

It's good for a night or to,don't stay longer.The assistant manager goes through your room when she wants just because & doesn't tell you.Alot of drug bust,noise they won't take care of because of money.They don't treat emplyees the same,1 was told if she took her day off they'd cut her hours.She's very nice to customers,so both manager watch her.1 lives there & the other will spend the night there to see if she talks to guests.You can't get any thing you need after 8pm,even toleit paper.One guests heat wouldn't work & their reply was she doesn't need it yet.If she doesn't like it she can leave.My socks got dirty on the carpet like i was outside.Places might be cheap but you deserve better try Value Place in Mentor off Hiesely Rd. very secure & CLEAN.

Room Tip: sk for a quite arera,make sure you can walk with out dirting your socks.Some units have noisey heat...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank mcushman
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 10 August 2011

Ok, the staff manager at the desk was nice. Just barely nice though. Nothing extra special. Then we got into our "nonsmoking" room and it smelled so strong of some blend of too much air freshener and old smoke. Then our eyes were drawn to the sitting chair. Covered in dark, old, glaring stains! I mean huge stains! We couldnt believe they would just leave a chair like that in the room. (if they leave obvious stains laying around, what about the stuff we cant see?!?!) Thats when we realized that the management at this location simply does not care. I was still planning to suck it up, when I noticed how hot it was. I went to turn on the AC only to find it was already on and blowing hot air. We called the front desk to explain it was broken. When there was no offer to take care of it, we asked to check out and got a refund. Dont stay here unless you are really broke and desperate.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sillyhay6
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mentor
Red Roof Inn Cleveland East - Willoughby
Holiday Inn Cleveland East - Mentor
WoodSpring Suites Cleveland Mentor
Best Western Plus Lawnfield Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#2 of 5 in Painesville
Econo Lodge Wickliffe - Cleveland East

Been to Studio 6 Cleveland - Mentor? Share your experiences!