“Very Good Seafood”

Good for: Child-friendly
Painesville
“Very Good Seafood”
Reviewed 1 August 2012

If you like seafood this place is really good. Ive been here many times and would go more often, however the place is always really busy. I enjoy the lobster and their cheddar bisquits are fantastic. The service has usually been really good even on those busy nights.

• Visited June 2012

Indianapolis
“Good chain choice for fish”
Reviewed 4 May 2012

Red Lobster is our goto place for fish in a strange town with no recomendations. Consistantly good (not excellent) food and good service. Never had a bad meal there. Never had an exceptional; one. You always know what you're getting (nothing better, nothing worse).

• Visited May 2012
Painesville, Ohio
“Hit or Miss”
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Most of the time the food and service is great, no complaints there. The things I have witnessed there are amazing. I've complained to corporate and no one has followed up, next time I will complain to restaurant management.
In the summer of 2011, we witnessed a waitress that acted very loose with the male employees and the managers played right along with her.
We have had great servers there and have one that we ask for whenever we stop. However, the last time we were there the waitress (different one), was very bad at remembering. And of course she chalked it up to this or that. If I wait over 30 minutes for a cup of coffee, its not because you are brewing a fresh pot, you forgot! Apparently she thought I was stupid. Anyway, her princess daughter (she called our waitress mom and I heard a manager refer to her as her mom), was one of the hostesses that night. On two occassions I witnessed her picking her nose! What are the cooks doing in the kitchen that you can't see??? We haven't been back and I am not sure when we will go back.

Visited January 2012
1 Thank Lenofleroy
Chesterland, Ohio
“Good, So Long As You Know What You're Getting into”
Reviewed 11 February 2012

As you will see, below, I left with deeply ambivalent feelings about this restaurant. Good food, friendly but not fancy service, okay surroundings, long wait.

Some years ago, when I was still in graduate school and newly married, my wife wanted to take me to a nice restaurant for my birthday even though we really didn't have very much money. The place she found looked nice on paper, but in reality it was . . . less so. We ended up going to Red Lobster for dessert (it was all we could afford at the time), and it was the high point of the evening. I've always had happy memories about Red Lobster since then.

When you go to Red Lobster , you have to understand what you're getting into. First, of course, they don't take reservations. The good is that you don't need one since nobody else has one. The bad is that, well, that means there may be a wait. In the case of our most recent visit on a Saturday evening, that meant about a 70 minute wait in a sort of bull pen area. We ended up leaving for 45 minutes or so to run some shopping errands, but it was still a fairly substantial wait. If you go at a less busy time, don't mind the wait, or don't mind waiting in the bar, this will not be a problem for you.

Second, the mission of the restaurant is to serve quality seafood to those who don't have expense account size budgets. The good of this is that they have flavorful seafood and the price was pretty reasonable. Further, our waitress was extremely attentive and genuinely friendly. I've noted a 4 (very good) rating on the service. The service we got when seated merited a 4 to 5 (excellent), but it only came until a 1 hour+ wait, so I subtracted 1. Again, it all comes down to your timing and willingness to deal with a wait. If you want "black tie" luxury service, this is not the place, but what we got was someone who genuinely wanted us to have a nice time (which is great).

The setting was casual, but also such that you knew you are in a chain restaurant. Again, this may be a good or bad thing depending on your perspective.

All in all, after our wait, we had a nice time. We very much enjoyed our food and appreciated the attentive service. The Trip Advisor rating system jumps from "average" to "very good", but I would have put this in the middle as "good." If you want good-tasting seafood in a non-fancy setting, this is a nice place to go. If you want to be able to make reservations and/or want something more unique than a chain, you might want to go somewhere else. Me? I'd come here on occasion, but would try to avoid peak times when I would need to wait.

• Visited February 2012
Johnsburg, Illinois
“Very friendly waitress and fantastic food.”
Reviewed 15 August 2011

Our wait wasn't as long as we had expected. The hostess and waitress were very friendly, asking if we were there for a special occasion. When we left, the hostess even remembered that we had said we were just travelling through from Upper NY to Illinois. The food came in a good amount of time, and was fixed superbly. My husband is very fussy about food at restaurants, and he had nothing but marvelous things to say.

• Visited August 2011